WCG team position

Home forum for the various projects run under IBM's WCG umbrella.
Forum rules
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#121 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

I'd appreciate confirmation that my tallies are now being included in TSBT totals. Thanks
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#122 Re: WCG team position

Post by scole of TSBT »

I think the change was made too late to be included in today's stats update. We can look tomorrow. Use this link and it will list all the TSBT members on WCG...
https://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/user/list/12/0/10148
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#123 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

The problem isn't with BOINCStats - it's WCG. Their response to GDPR has been really paranoid. As well as excluding themselves from all the stats sites for a few months it looks as if they have decreed that all new members are going to want to stay anonymous. Which they will unless they try as hard as you to find out how to opt in to being a visible member of the community.

As scole says you should be in the stats tomorrow.

Other projects are easier to work with. And you'll need one if you want to use your GPU(s). Can I suggest http://www.gpugrid.net/ as a good start. Their site is really helpful in telling you how to get the necessary drivers etc.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#124 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

Yup, davidBAM, you are in the stats big-time. Our biggest contributor yesterday & 60th over time. Not too shabby for a Newbie!
Willie the Megacruncher
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#125 Re: WCG team position

Post by scole of TSBT »

And we'll be back to help on WCG in a of couple days. Some of us are crunching Yoyo for the current Formula Boinc Sprint Challenge.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#126 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

That's all good thanks - I'll bask in my 24 hours of fame :D :D
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#127 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Up to #122 on https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/v ... berPage.do (but I realise you go by the boincstats site)
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#128 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

#120… we've overtaken the Tabernacle choir https://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/team/list/0/100/0
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#129 Re: WCG team position

Post by Alez »

As reported we are up to 120th now. :clap:

WCG position
PositionTeamPoints
117 Croatia197,198,067
118 SETIKAH@KOREA 195,598,364
119 Vulture Central III 194,180,806
120 The Scottish Boinc Team 193,321,400
121 Mormon Community Grid 193,292,221
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#130 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

Woo hoo!

Way to go, guys!

And we should be past the Vulture dudes within a couple of months.
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#131 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Megacruncher wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:09 am Other projects are easier to work with. And you'll need one if you want to use your GPU(s). Can I suggest http://www.gpugrid.net/ as a good start. Their site is really helpful in telling you how to get the necessary drivers etc.
I have a Linux / nVidia combination available on a Dell m5520 laptop.

What I'd like to do is to give WCG 100% of the available CPU, and GPUGRID 100% of the GPU. I think this involves using 'web preferences' but am buggered if I can see where to setup web preferences on WCG. Help please?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#132 Re: WCG team position

Post by Alez »

[mention]davidBAM[/mention]

The ' web preferences' are available in WCG under your account - My Projects. Here you can select which projects to run.

For Prime Grid they are under your account - Your Account - Preferences for this project PrimeGrid preferences - Go to bottom of page and select Edit preferences. There tick the projects you want to run on Prime Grid ( ie select a GPU project or two and deselect any CPU projects )

In reality, due to the way the BOINC manager tries to balance out points gained, selecting WCG and Primegrid together will result in WCG running on CPU and Primegrid running on GPU.
Don't run a laptop at 100% cpu and GPU, it will run too hot and also in reality you need some CPU to ' feed' the GPU. At 100% cpu usage, the laptop will be unusable.
To start with I would suggest you run under BOINC - computer preferences in the manager I would set the following preferences.
use at most 50% of the CPUs
use at most 100% of CPU time ( never change this as it doesn't work properly and will simple cause the cpu's to cycle constantly. Always remove a core using the first option to limit how much time and temperatures of any CPU. )

See how that works for the laptop. If all is well you can turn the number of cores up to 75% or what ever you want. Be cautious at first. ( The % of cores is exactly what it states. 50% will use 2 cores of a 4 core CPU. 75% is 3 of 4 etc. What % you set is determined by how many cores you have. ) Always leave a core / thread free to feed a GPU if you run the GPU.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#133 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

In my experience you can safely run a laptop at 100% CPU but need to consider carefully whether to use the GPU for boinc at all. Unless you are up for frequent disassembling/defluffing of the laptop and always have spare GPU Coolers at hand, then I'd stick to CPU crunching, on WCG.
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#134 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Okay ta, I'll stop using the laptop GPU as the thing was getting rather hot
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#135 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

Yes, I’ve heard too many tales of major house fires caused by laptops on overnight to be willing to risk mine running 100% GPU plus 100% CPU 24/7. As I see it if it is a gaming laptop capable of cooling everything for short bursts then it should be able to cool all the CPUs indefinitely so long as the GPU is relaxing.
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#136 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Megacruncher wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 am And we should be past the Vulture dudes within a couple of months.
Stormed past them today https://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/team/list/0/100/0 :D
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#137 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

davidBAM wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:13 pm
Megacruncher wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 am And we should be past the Vulture dudes within a couple of months.
Stormed past them today https://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/team/list/0/100/0 :D
Absolutely! 119th Now!

And there's more to come! Err..eventually! :lol:
October should see us gain a couple more places, and possibly lose one. But that'll be our last loss,amid several gains, before December.
We are holding our own [66th by RAC 8-) ], despite the unfortunate retiral of scole. I'm doing my bit, as are 15 other TSBT/WCG stalwarts. But most of the credit for keeping us in top 100 contention must go to davidBAM who most days is our biggest hitter. At this rate you should be top 10 in the team by Xmas! :o
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#138 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Megacruncher wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:28 pm At this rate you should be top 10 in the team by Xmas!
Ah ... Maybe not. I haven't seen my electricity bill yet :? :P

Ta for noticing though :P
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#139 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

You are right to worry about Mr Bill Lecky who has been the downfall of many an enthusiastic newbie, and sometimes a bright star, over the years. Just keep it real, monitored & sustainable & you’ll be fine.
And remember, for 3 seasons at least, if you live in Scotland (probably 4 seasons in Huntly:lol: ) having electrical appliances spewing out heat is a good thing, reducing the need for other sources of heating.
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#140 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Aye - using computers as space heaters is a point I make repeatedly myself to anyone who will listen ... hello ... HELLO !!

:P :P
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#141 Re: WCG team position

Post by Alez »

Coal fire and stupid amounts of lecky for puters get me through the winter.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#142 Re: WCG team position

Post by Alez »

As reported we are up to 119th now. :clap:

WCG position
PositionTeamPoints
116 Clemson School of Computing202,665,225
117 Croatia 198,042,388
118 SETIKAH@KOREA 196,954,074
119 The Scottish Boinc Team 195,707,666
120 Vulture Central III 195,256,034
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#143 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

120th now though https://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/team/list/0/100/0 Somebody has shot past us but not sure who
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#144 Re: WCG team position

Post by Alez »

Ahhhgh, it's an attack on our team. I'll get some screenshots to proeve it etc. etc. :lol:
UBT - Woodles
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

#145 Re: WCG team position

Post by UBT - Woodles »

davidBAM wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am 120th now though https://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/team/list/0/100/0 Somebody has shot past us but not sure who
Probably Byteball.org, nearly seven million credits a day!
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#146 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

Alez wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:55 am Ahhhgh, it's an attack on our team. I'll get some screenshots to proeve it etc. etc. :lol:
Just don't go doing any "blackmailing" Alez!

I'm going to run WCG for a while. I'm now officially a BOINC whore and my pimp is Byteball.

After we finish the Thor challenge which runs from the 22nd to 29th I'll join you guys for a while. I might be able to give you a slight bump :D Unfortunately, since my user name is linked to Byteball I won't be able to change it. So TSBT's rolls will be contaminated with Bryan @ SUSA :whistle:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#147 Re: WCG team position

Post by Alez »

[mention]Bryan[/mention] your always welcome to contaminate the forum, Susa or not :D
pinhodecarlos
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#148 Re: WCG team position

Post by pinhodecarlos »

Anyone can get access to to rebels forum (seti.usa). Just need to confirm when to dump the WCG wus for the Thor challenge. Need a GMT hour.
SETI.USA member
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#149 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

You can dump anytime now Carlos. I dropped mine 12 hours ago :-)

A damn shame I couldn't have dropped for TSBT - 10 day bunker worth 5M credits. Oh well, after the 29th I'll give you guys a hand.

BTW, the SUSA boards are down just like Free-DC. BOK is out-of-town but he should be home later today so things should return to normal.
pinhodecarlos

#150 Re: WCG team position

Post by pinhodecarlos »

I suppose the stats takes awhile to be updated.
SETI.USA member
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#151 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

pinhodecarlos wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:38 pm I suppose the stats takes awhile to be updated.
The 1st days stats will appear at about 0100 UTC tonight and then at that time through the 29th. Go to your account on WCG, click on "My Team" and towards the bottom you will see the link to the challenge stats.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#152 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

Okay folks, OFF YOUR BUTTS. Time to hit WCG :lol:

BTW, with the exception of MIPs ALL other apps run about 75% faster using LInux.

The order of payout:

OET - going away in a few days
Zika - pays a little better than SCC
SCC - pays a little less that Zika
MIPs - way down / pays poorly

NOTE: my credits will be down a little today but should return to normal tomorrow. I was doing some benchmarking/optimization on the new computer so it was not on WCG.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#153 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

WCG is my go-to project so this is good news as I switched back at end of the Sprint. All on Linux too. I'll untick MIPs based on your info though, thanks :D :D

ETA : Wowsers - how many cores have you got to be doing 360K per day :notworthy: :notworthy:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#154 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

davidBAM wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm
ETA : Wowsers - how many cores have you got to be doing 360K per day :notworthy: :notworthy:
I've got a few :lol: 360k - that's what I was saying, my numbers are down. They should improve by tomorrow at least while OET continues. I don't know how far down it'll go when I have to switch to Zika but I'm guessing a drop of maybe 30% (pure guess).
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#155 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

We'll jump 2 positions tomorrow - 118th. 3M to position 117. No fast movers behind us at least in the 100-200 positions. Well, there is 1 team 6M behind doing a little under 500k/day.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#156 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

Indeed, 118th Now!
It’s great having you onboard Bryan.
We’ve been making steady progress over the course of the year but your presence has already helped things along a big bit.
I’ve got all my working cores on WCG including 64 threads on my latest Threadripper 2990WX. Oh yes! I reckon it possibly doubles my WCG capacity and I’d hope to be nudging 6 figures per day once it’s all running full out.
Full steam ahead!
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#157 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Megacruncher wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:26 am Threadripper 2990WX
Nice
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#158 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

davidBAM wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:44 am
Megacruncher wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:26 am Threadripper 2990WX
Nice
Very! :-)
Willie the Megacruncher
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#159 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Wait until you download 2 days of WU for the next bunker operation. You'll have many many pages listing them in boincmgr :D :D I have a 44 thread xeon e5-2696v4 and that certainly gets plenty. Same mobo can take a second processor so I might put it on my Santa list
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#160 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

Speaking of 2990WX, I notice you have a GTX 1080Ti in yours. What wattage of PSU are you using for it? I had originally planned on moving one of my 1080Ti GPUs to the new machine (haven't done it yet) which has a 1000W supply. I haven't had the opportunity to play with it to see if that is enough PSU. When I brought the machine up I spent 1 hour on Windows running Prime95 to make sure the cooling was working. Then I switched to Linux and started a 17 day run on WCG for the Thor challenge. I really haven't had the opportunity to play around yet.

Running OET on LInux I'm getting 100k/day from it. I'm a happy camper :-)
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#161 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

davidBAM wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 am Wait until you download 2 days of WU for the next bunker operation. You'll have many many pages listing them in boincmgr :D :D I have a 44 thread xeon e5-2696v4 and that certainly gets plenty. Same mobo can take a second processor so I might put it on my Santa list
WCG will give a max of 1100 WU to a machine. On OET, the 2990WX goess through those in 3 days :-) On other projects, like ZIka, it only lasts 2 days because some of the WU are really short.

david, if you add a 2nd CPU get with me and I'll tell you how to get it to work in WIndows. WIndows only supports 64 memory channels (NUMA). There is a technique to run 2 instances of BOINC with one assigned to each CPU. Then you get 128 memory channel capability. Linux supports the 88 threads without any problem.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#162 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Thanks Bryan. Good to know. I'm a unix-only house (which is what keeps me so young :D :D )
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#163 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

Cruncher Pete wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:32 am
I heard somebody mentioning that it is not worth going past 64 threads for some reason or other on windows. I think Bryan might be able to shed some light on this, I am only going from memory and I am known to have pensioner moments.. :doh:
Hey Pete, it works fine if you know the secret handshake and you have the right karma :lol: As I mentioned above you have to run 2 instances of BOINC and assign 1 instance to each of the CPUs.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#164 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

@ Bryan
The 2990WX with 1080Ti seems to be quite happy with an 800W PSU. I’d worried that it might be too feeble. But it’s a fairly good quality Corsair one & it seems to be managing. Am I likely to burn the house down? It doesn’t seem to be running hot.
Willie the Megacruncher
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#165 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

Our numbers continue to climb on WCG. According to Bstats, TSBT did 834k yesterday! :dance:

OET is still issuing work and it pays the best - by far IIRC.

I think the Sprint starts in 5 days. While you guys go forth and kick butt I'll hold down the fort on WCG :-)
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#166 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

Thanks Bryan.
We should be up another place to 117th by tomorrow!
Already our RAC is up to 329K which is 43rd best in the world. :dance:
Willie the Megacruncher
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#167 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

I was looking at the stats on WCG yesterday and TSBT is in position 100 for the number of results returned
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#168 Re: WCG team position

Post by davidbam »

Bryan wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 pm I was looking at the stats on WCG yesterday and TSBT is in position 100 for the number of results returned
Personal best for me yesterday, broke the 1K barrier with 1082 results returned according to https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/v ... History.do

Not sure if a result shows on that page when it is returned or when it is validated? I am guessing when validated
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#169 Re: WCG team position

Post by Bryan »

I'm pretty sure that that is showing the number "validated" because for a while you'll show something there even when you haven't turned anything in.

My numbers may drop tomorrow since I have a machine that overloaded itself. I expect when the WU get cancelled by the server for being too late then I will drop out of the "trusted" mode and everything will go to Pending Verification status.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#170 Re: WCG team position

Post by Megacruncher »

We are up to 117th now! :clap:
We should be at least another couple of places ahead by Wednesday end. :dance:
Our RAC is up to 419K which is 32nd in the world.
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “World Community Grid”