The CPDN Blitz.

Forum rules
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I bet boinc.at are wondering what happened. They were closing like an express train then wham we started peddling faster, or in mega and merlyn's case running.
steve

Post by steve »

Ben wrote:Arrr, maybe we will find out why so much water falls on Scotland :lol:
To keep megacruncher hydroelectric generaters going
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Our RAC surpasseth that of even UBT and is set to keep rising yet.
Yep, No.1 UK team by RAC - although it'll still take the rest of the year, and most of next, to acheive 5th by total credit! :shock:
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Yep, No.1 UK team by RAC - although it'll still take the rest of the year, and most of next, to acheive 5th by total credit! :shock:
Not at all. The team to catch is OcUK who are just over 10 million ahead of us. Their RAC is 15K. Assuming ours settles down at 55K then we will close the gap at a rate of 1 million every 25 days so the job should be done in about October. Catching Scotland might take us into 2010 but not by much.
Think positive. Think long term!
Willie the Megacruncher
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Assuming our {RAC} settles down at 55K then we will close the gap at a rate of 1 million every 25 days so the job should be done in about October. Catching Scotland might take us into 2010 but not by much.
Think positive. Think long term!
I agree completely, the numbers I gave were based on the current (ie. todays) RAC, which is ~40k. When I ignored this and 'calculated' a RAC based on the last week, I estimated March '10 for us to pass Scotland. :)
Image Image
Ben

Post by Ben »

steve wrote:
Ben wrote:Arrr, maybe we will find out why so much water falls on Scotland :lol:
Good point :shock: And in turn use the steam coming from the GPU's to power more generators... Now there's a thought! :idea:
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Ben wrote:
steve wrote:
Good point :shock: And in turn use the steam coming from the GPU's to power more generators... Now there's a thought! :idea:
We have discovered perpetual motion :D :D
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Our CPDN RAC is up to 44.5K and Iain Aikman seems to be fighting back against the distant but closing forces of Merlyn & me. I reckon our RAC will settle down at 60K which will do the trick. The eifference between TSBT & Scotland is 9,959,043 which will soon dissolve!
Willie the Megacruncher
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

so should we pay them a visit and say hi then? lol
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

should we pay them a visit and say hi then? lol
Maybe when the lines drift a little closer...
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Or we could just wait for them to notice as I am sure they will! In truth we are now so much bigger than Scotland (not only are we outgunning them nearly 20 fold overall but our RAC is twice theirs for their favourite & indeed only project) that there is a risk that our lively banter of yesteryear might now come across as bullying. And we wouldn't want that would we: Not when we can have much more fun patronising the plucky & and surprisingly persistent little fellows!

Anyhoo the progress is that we have upped our RAC to 52K (=13th overall 8) ) and when our newest recruit jgrzeb gets added to the account tomorrow we will be up to 46th by TC. Within a week we shall be 44th.

Keep up the good work everybody!
Willie the Megacruncher
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Megacruncher wrote:Anyhoo the progress is that we have upped our RAC to 52K (=13th overall 8) ) and when our newest recruit jgrzeb gets added to the account tomorrow we will be up to 46th by TC. Within a week we shall be 44th.

Keep up the good work everybody!
You been out recruiting again Willie?

Hopefully I'll be up and running at c. 8-900 per day, I managed to get 2 cores and a GPU working at the same time :)
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Recruiting? Depends what you mean - it is important that everyone is made aware of our friendly little team & that's what I do.

Anyhoo we are now up to 45th now. Quite possibly 44th as of tomorrow. 8)
Willie the Megacruncher
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Over 15 Million as well :)
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

up to 43rd, about a week to 42nd :)
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

A nice 26K upload from MacDitch greatly aided the cause today!
Willie the Megacruncher
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

A nice 26K upload from MacDitch greatly aided the cause today!
Why thank you kind sir. :P

I'll probably upload the rest (another 20k or so atm) when I return to the UK, whenever that may be!
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

41st Now or 10th By RAC!

A bumper 233K upload has propelled us 2 places to 41st.
We are now less than 9 million behind OcUK & Scotland & closing fast.
:wav:
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

We are still in 41st place by total credit. Also we are in an all time high of 9th by RAC. [Still UK 1st :wav:] Our current 17.7 Million puts us just 7.7 million behind OcUK and 8.1 million behind Scotland. Both scalps shall be ours by the end of the year! :twisted:

Keep going. The game is long but ours for the taking!
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

40th Now!] with further gains imminent!

OcUK are just 6.7 million way and Scotland are 7.3 away. Image
This graph is a harbinger of their doom.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

What did I tell you? 37th Now!!!!
And OcUK are a mere 6 million in front.
Willie the Megacruncher
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Be afraid, be very afraid I decided to awake from my slumber :shock:

Prepare to meet the mighty 3GHz P4HT!

OK, so it isn't quite what I used to run, but I figure that I can put a CPU onto this project for old times sake and to let you all know I'm still lurking around :lol:

I'm afraid I can't see the farm being warmed up again for some time yet....things are just too uncertain here, but what harm can a single quiet CPU do? :wink:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

No harm whatsoever! :D
Nice to see you awake & crunching again. Good choice with CPDN: No rush and good grudge match goals. :twisted:
TSBT Numero Uno, Iain Aikman, seems to have fallen by the wayside for just now - he recently passed 5 million and may have decided that's enough (and it's surely a lot even if that always short of enough) - so it's all remaining hands to the pumps if we are going to get that UK 5th place by the end of the year.
Even without IA we outcrunched all UK teams other than UBT during the last week.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

36th Now!!!

We've passed 20 milion for CPDN and Iain Aikman is back with a vengence! :wav:
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Not that I'm particularly quick off the mark - takes me a few does to do a CPDN run but I've noticed that the CPDN upload servers are almost all full - and they've suggested suspending network comms until they sort it out.

This means no deliveries for completed WUs for a few days...

By the way, if I have understood the stats correctly, them (the enemy) is queuing upo to overtake us in a few days on Einstein@Home.... so I have started doing e few WUs - looks like I'll get trampled in the stampede though... :shock:

Think I'll go back to the boondocks and keep slogging it out with Uncle Fester...
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

The CPDN servers do suffer periodic constipation but they always get things moving again after a few days.

As regards Einstein you are right and some remedial action is required if we are not to be booted out of the top 100 in about 40 days. :shock:

A call to arms will be issued.
Willie the Megacruncher
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

35th
Half a million off 34th
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

:wav: for 35th. Hello - in about a months time- 34th!

Our march up the table has slowed but far from stalled. We continue to gain on OcUK and Scotland, but not at a rate that will bother them this side of Hogmany.

Once the worst is out of the summer heat and the farm is rehoused in the cool of the new Boinc basement I'll upgrade something to a Core i7 so I can get my CPU crunching up to decent levels again. CPDN will be the main beneficiary.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

The upshot of the recent CPDN credit adjustment is that Overclockers have overtaken Scotland to move into UK 4th. This is interesting as we once again find ourselves with Scotland to beat for 5th.

The gap btwn TSBT and Scotland has narrowed to a modest 4.65 million. This is a closeable gap in the 4 & 1/2 months left of 2009.

Now that the AQUA credit bubble seems to have burst I for one shall rededicate my CPUs to CPDN.

Charge!!!! [Again]
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Hmm, once the dust finally settled it was clear that "Scotland" actually fared quite well from the recent recalculation.

As of now TSBT are 4.6 million behind OcUK and 5.9 million behind Scotland.

The gap is closing but slowly.

I've added an i7 to the line up with 8 CPDN models running simultaneously on it. Oh, yes! What can you do to help & turn the blitz from a steady drizzle into a perfect storm? :)

[EDIT: I should have mentioned that, having overtaken the Irish, we are now up to 33rd overall for CPDN. :) ]
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Now 32nd place & 25 million for CPDN. :wav:
Willie the Megacruncher
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Now 32nd place & 25 million for CPDN. :wav:
You're doing a teriffic job there Mega. With any luck, when I get back to work there'll be two or three complete models waiting for me - unless IT strike between now and then... :?
Image Image
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

As 2009 acknowledges the invitable & books its one-way flight to Switzerland, it is time to update the CPDN position.

We are still 32nd overall at just over 27 million. This represents a rise of 19 places and a gain of nearly 15 million since the start of the year.

We are 5th in the UK by RAC which means that eventually we shall be 5th by TC.

Our plan to overtake Scotland has not worked so well, although over the year we have gained on them.

Anyhoo is might be time to abandon our beat Scotland goal:

They have sunk to 210th in the world by TC.
They are 388th by RAC so freefall awaits them.

To take from them their UK #5 place when they have so little & we have so much does seem a bit like bullying so I suggest we desist.

Any thoughts on this subject?
Willie the Megacruncher
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

After WCG is back where it beligs in th top 100, SScotland have to be destroyed in CPDN!
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

After WCG is back where it beligs in th top 100, SScotland have to be destroyed in CPDN!
Hmmmmmm, it's good to see the Christmas spirit kicking in :D
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

lol, I suspect I may have had a couple of beverages when I typed that!!!
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

i think the cpdn rule should be that we always have a higher rac than them just so we keep catching. dosn't have to be much but we dont want them getting further away.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Okay so no-one subscribes to my view that team Scotland, in the wider world of Boinc, as opposed to this one project, have become irrelevant rather than rivals, and that it would be more generous (as well as gratfyingly patronising :lol: ) to let them have their way with CPDN?

We have the problem that our easily redirectable CPU resources are limited, so we might have to chose between getting everything top 100 or overtaking Scotland for CPDN. :?
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

... and that it would be more generous (as well as gratfyingly patronising :lol: ) to let them have their way with CPDN?
Depressing, isn't it. Things just ain't what they used to be.... :?

I vote for the middle-age spread (top 100 on all projects)... that way, when Scotland get cheeky about us being fat 'n slow, we hammers 'em on CPDN true christmas spirit style ! I really love those old B&W B-Movies..... :D
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Looks like PP has been at the sweet sherry already :lol:

Scotland are a long ways ahead of us on CPDN. Sure, we could all make a concerted effort and overtake them in a few months, but other projects would fall behind.

I like ropie's idea of consistently hitting a higher RAC than they achieve, so my vote goes for the magnanimous nod in their direction for the time being. Maybe another goal for 2010?
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

I vote for the middle-age spread (top 100 on all projects)... that way, when Scotland get cheeky about us being fat 'n slow, we hammers 'em on CPDN true christmas spirit style !
I agree with PP and others that this is the way to go, magnanimous to our fellow countrymen, twisting the dirk if required :whax:
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

We are stalking Scotland very efficiently with the Gap btwn us & their CPDN tean being a mere 5 million.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Suddenly the gap between us & Scotland has narrowed to a miniscule 3.6 million! :D

This is because there seem to have been some problems at "The Friendly Team" as they ironically call themselves.

A spirited debate between Iain Inglis, a true green believer in man-made global warming, and Derek, who is a prophet for the coming ice-age, has got all acrimonious & personal & Iain has left the team while Derek, who stopped crunching ages back, has been told to stop posting.

A devastated silence has followed with no posts on the Boinc bit of their forum in 5 days.

I'd drop by there (relive the fun here) and say something provocative but for the risk that my very appearance might result in some team cohesion. :lol:

All very sad I'm sure but it makes the catch-up much easier.
Willie the Megacruncher
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

Megacruncher wrote:Suddenly the gap between us & Scotland has narrowed to a miniscule 3.6 million! :D

This is because there seem to have been some problems at "The Friendly Team" as they ironically call themselves.

A spirited debate between Iain Inglis, a true green believer in man-made global warming, and Derek, who is a prophet for the coming ice-age, has got all acrimonious & personal & Iain has left the team while Derek, who stopped crunching ages back, has been told to stop posting.

A devastated silence has followed with no posts on the Boinc bit of their forum in 5 days.

I'd drop by there (relive the fun here) and say something provocative but for the risk that my very appearance might result in some team cohesion. :lol:

All very sad I'm sure but it makes the catch-up much easier.
Either of them poachable?
Derek

Post by Derek »

You are quite right Nightlord regarding what this thread is about,
my apologies for being dragged into a "discussion" - well sort of...

If anyone wants to start a thread for further discussion of the above raised issues / ideas, etc,
then please do and inform me by pm, I'll happily join in.

I'll leave this link to a long but worthy read regarding climategate as my last word on the subject in this thread.
http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/image ... alysis.pdf
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I've created the new thread. What, you want a link? Just look for it!

To resume the CPDN blitz theme, you'll all be delighted to know [insert smiling thru gritted teeth smilie here] that Iain Inglis has quietly rejoined Scotland. :roll: So we now have a gap of 5,983,827 to bridge. But our RAC is better than theirs so we will chip away at it.

I've devoted my i7, all 8 virtual cores, oh yes, to CPDN as it seems to get over 4K per day for CPDN but not more than 2.5K for WCG.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Again, a gain for us in CPDN. We just overtook TeAm AnandTech to go 31st. :wav:
Scotland are just 5,845,925 ahead of us so the gap is closing albeit slowly.
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Climate Prediction”