SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

For all your Raspberry Pi's, BeagleBoard's, Parallella's, ORDROID'S, TV boxes et al.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#1 SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by Dirk Broer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:59 pm

52Pi -sometimes written as S2Pi- are developing themselves as the Noctua of SBC cooling: High-end air coolers with good performance.
After we had the Ice Tower cooler for the Raspberry Pi that shaves some 30°C off the Pi's operating temperature we got a specialized 4-pin Nvidia Jetson Nano cooler featuring a far bigger cooling block and two heat pipes, that even managed to shave some 40°C off the Nano's operating temperature!Image
As it uses a 4pin fan, just imagine what a 2cm thick Noctua 40mm 5V fan could do..
Their lastest SBC cooling product is a 2-pin low-profile Pi cooler, looking (at first glance) very much like the Nano cooler, but with a far smaller cooling block and a thinner radiator, that manages to keep the Raspberry Pi's just a tad cooler than the 'big tower' model can -partly due to blowing air down over the board itself too. Gone however is the possibility to add a second fan in push-pull combination.
What does this have to do with a quest for power? The most capable 32-bit ARM SOCs are eight-cores that all suffer the same problem: overheating and hence down throttling.
My Odroid-XU4's Samsung Exynos 5422 SOC sometimes runs as slow as 1100/1000 MHz due to down throttling, while it can do 2000MHz/1400Mhz on its Cortex-A15 respectively Cortex-A7 cores. And the same holds, due to less cooling, even more true for the Cortex-A15/A7 equipped Allwinner A80 in my Cubieboard 4's, that is advertised at the same speeds as the Odroid-XU4. It surely holds true for the [standard] totally un-cooled Allwinner A83T Cortex-A7 Octa-Core of the Banana Pi M3, that is supposed to run at 1800 MHz: all three octa-cores will overheat and throttle down. I have yet to hear of an enthusiastic Banana Pi M3 user on that account.

So we need more cooling, and 52Pi is going to supply it. It is just that they themselves do not know it yet. I will try to tie-wrap my way into getting their low-profile ice-tower cooler securely onto my Odroid-XU4 and my Cubieboard 4, as the normal way of fitting them will not work. I'll keep you informed.

P.S. These coolers might do great on your Frankendroids as well.....
Last edited by Dirk Broer on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#2 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by Dirk Broer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Can you get better cooling than with the Out-Of-the-Box (OOB) solutions of 52PI? Yes, but it takes some out-of-the-box thinking to make a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) extreme cooler.
When searching for '52pi Ice Tower' in Google I came across 'Sub-20$ DIY Cooler DESTROYS 52pi Ice Tower', so before you mod your Frankendroid to take a 52Pi cooler, first read this.
The bloke who wrote it had thought of using a cheap Chinese northbridge cooler for PC mainboards when he couldn't find the holy grail of chipset cooling: the discontinued Noctua NC-U6.
If you happen to have one lying around: grab it and use it, either on a SBC or on a X570 mobo -or sell it.

The contraption built looks like this: Image
Cooling performance was like this:Image
I'll keep looking for more extreme solutions...

Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by Dirk Broer » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Phase one is about to begin: my low-profile Ice Tower (more like an Ice Plateau) coolers have arrived and are mounted,
all I need now is a new OS for the Odroid-XU4 -which trashes the SD cards when overheating- and a PSU for my CubieBoard 4.

Miklos M
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

#4 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by Miklos M » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:07 pm

Dirk Broer wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:57 pm
Phase one is about to begin: my low-profile Ice Tower (more like an Ice Plateau) coolers have arrived and are mounted,
all I need now is a new OS for the Odroid-XU4 -which trashes the SD cards when overheating- and a PSU for my CubieBoard 4.
Can this type of coolers be used in a regular desk top computer somehow? I am having several issues with heat. :?

Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#5 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by Dirk Broer » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:42 pm

Miklos M wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:07 pm
Dirk Broer wrote:
Can this type of coolers be used in a regular desk top computer somehow? I am having several issues with heat. :?
If you suspect the chipset of these board(s) of reaching too high temperatures, you can use either an Ice Tower Cooler -might have troubles fastening- or use a big chipset cooler with heatpipe(s).
Pity that most of the better ones are out-of-production (OOP), but the KKmoon-HB802 seems a good alternative, especially when coupled to a 80mm Noctua fan.
Motherboards generally won't have 5V pins for fans as needed for the Ice Towers, but 12 volt pins, just as most 80mm fans you can buy/order.

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by scole of TSBT » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 am

Miklos M wrote:
You need either this one...https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/co ... g-edition/
or this one...https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15

And you need your case fans taken care of. Did the one fan get replaced?
Coming soon!

Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#7 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by Dirk Broer » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:26 am

scole of TSBT wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 am
Miklos M wrote:
You need either this one...https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/co ... g-edition/

Ehr...we're talking about cooling tiny chipsets/SOCs here, not x86 CPUs....SBC, Single Board Computer.
Last edited by Dirk Broer on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#8 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by scole of TSBT » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:32 am

Dirk Broer wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:26 am
Ehr...we're talking about cooling tiny chipsets/SOCs here, not x86 CPUs....
I understand. I was just trying to help Miklos with info about the CPU cooler he needs on his i9-9820X and i9-9980XE systems.
Coming soon!

Miklos M

#9 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by Miklos M » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:52 am

Dirk Broer wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:42 pm
Miklos M wrote:
Dirk Broer wrote:
If you suspect the chipset of these board(s) of reaching too high temperatures, you can use either an Ice Tower Cooler -might have troubles fastening- or use a big chipset cooler with heatpipe(s).
Pity that most of the better ones are out-of-production (OOP), but the KKmoon-HB802 seems a good alternative, especially when coupled to a 80mm Noctua fan.
Motherboards generally won't have 5V pins for fans as needed for the Ice Towers, but 12 volt pins, just as most 80mm fans you can buy/order.
Thank you.

Miklos M

#10 Re: SBC extreme cooling: the quest for more power

Post by Miklos M » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:53 am

Dirk Broer wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:26 am
scole of TSBT wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 am
Miklos M wrote:

Ehr...we're talking about cooling tiny chipsets/SOCs here, not x86 CPUs....
Tuesday I am getting it done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Single-board Computers”