Odroid-N3: What might be

For all your Raspberry Pi's, BeagleBoard's, Parallella's, ORDROID'S, TV boxes et al.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#1 Odroid-N3: What might be

Post by Dirk Broer »

Hardkernel have at the moment the fastest SBC in the shape of their 2400 MHz Odroid-N2+, but they can't rest on their laurels.
Even though the N2+ can maintain the CPU clock speed of 2400 MHZ on its four Cortex-A73's while staying below 40 degrees centigrade (by virtue of the massive heatsink and the -I'd almost say mandatory- 80mm fan annex standoff-system) leaving perhaps possibilities for an even higher topspeed, the competition is steadily creeping closer.
E.g. the 8GB Raspberry CM4, when properly cooled, can reach 2300 MHz. Considering the possibilities of the Raspberry Pi 4 Compute Module I/O board, that's one fierce opponent.

What is Hardkernel likely to do? I'd say more cores, more RAM and more I/O. One way to do so is by replacing the SOC with one based upon the Rockchip 3588, an octa-core with 4x Cortex-A76 and 4x Cortex-A55 cores in 'dynamIQ' configuration, an Arm Mali “Odin” MP4 GPU and a 6 TOPS NPU 3.0 (Neural Processing Unit). 8GB RAM should be the lower limit for this new N3, with an optional 16GB model to be able to beat the 8GB Raspberry CM4's ratio of RAM per core.
I/O-wise the board should be enlarged to accommodate camera's, M.2 SSD's, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. -all the things the opposition has standard (or at least partly so) and an even bigger fan at the underside.

Return to “Single-board Computers”