Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

For all your Raspberry Pi's, BeagleBoard's, Parallella's, ORDROID'S, TV boxes et al.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

Post by scole of TSBT »

I've had this box a little over 6 months and it was running fine until recently. As soon as I got my RK3288 boxes back up, this one decided to act up. At first I thought it was just a bad power supply, like the others, and connected it to the 5V psu, but that didn't help. So I decided to re-flash it with the "latest" firmware linked to by geekbuying.com. Apparently all those versions have an issue where either/both the WiFI or ethernet shuts down after a short period of time. What a waste if time messing with those :x

I think I finally found a good ROM provided by a chap named mediaman over at the Media Box forum. It's been up and running for several hours now which is several hours better than it's done with any of the other ROMs. Keeping my fingers crossed. Here's a link in case any ever happens to end up with one of these and needs a ROM...http://mbox.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=337

Again, thank you mediaman :thumbright:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

Post by scole of TSBT »

The S802 boxes are really down in price. They're not as fast as the RK3288, but still at least 50% faster than the RK3188. Found this listing on Ebay for M8s only $18.88 + $9.99 shipping = total $28.87 ($US). Might see if they can combine shipping on a few. How risky do you think it is to buy this item from China? Cheapest on Amazon for same thing is $43.76 ($US) but from China also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M8-Amlogic-S802 ... 2a56e0cbaf
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

Post by Alez »

I bought all my tv boxes from china with no issues. Have also bought phones tablets etc. again with no issues. I would recommend a company called geekbuying.com here Never had an issue with them and they even took a faulty tablet back to china and offered full refund plus postage or replacement. I took the replacement.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
pcgun007

#4 Re: Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

Post by pcgun007 »

I am Nvidia Shield tv box user and about geekbuying, I always try to buy electronic products from them. but I got my android tv box from amazon. I got a great deal.
pinhodecarlos
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#5 Re: Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

Post by pinhodecarlos »

Anyone here have experience with a MINIX NEO Z83-4?
SETI.USA member
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

Post by scole of TSBT »

pinhodecarlos wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 pm Anyone here have experience with a MINIX NEO Z83-4?
pcgun007 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:34 am I am Nvidia Shield tv box user and about geekbuying, I always try to buy electronic products from them. but I got my android tv box from amazon. I got a great deal.
Will they Boinc?
pinhodecarlos

#7 Re: Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

Post by pinhodecarlos »

That mini computer brings 4GB and windows 10. Think it will run Boinc but not sure if it will handle heat generated.
SETI.USA member
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Amlogic S802 M8 quad core android tv box

Post by Alez »

Well pcgun007 is not exactly a kosha account but I let it stand as the info is not bad. Will it BOINC ? , yes but as with all tv boxes you have to run based on the ability to dissipate heat. I would not base win 10 as a plus point though.....
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Single-board Computers”