Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling

Post by scole of TSBT »

Just a FYI about Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. I run Windows 10 and have 2 GPUs in my system. I want to crunch GPU apps on one, the higher end one and use the lower end one just for video. I only have my monitors plugged into the lower end GPU. Whenever I was crunching boinc GPU project apps, I was experiencing hesitation on my other applications. I checked, double checked and tripled checked my Boinc configuration and confirmed the lower end GPU was being ignored by Boinc.
I then looked at the Windows Task Manager and saw the WCG GPU app was indeed running on GPU 0, the higher end GPU but Firefox was using GPU 0 also instead of GPU 1 (the lower end GPU).
task_manager.jpg
After digging into it, it seems Windows 10 has a Graphics setting called Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling which will offload some graphics processing on the GPUs instead of the CPU, but there is no option to make it use just one GPU and not the other. I'm not sure how it decides which GPU to use but it was using my higher end GPU for it's Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling instead of the lower end GPU. With a Boinc GPU app also running at 100% utilization, it was causing the hesitation in the apps also using the higher end GPU. Until I find our there's a way to force it to use just the GPU I want it to, I'm forced to disable this feature. There is also a setting in Firefox and Chrome to use Hardware acceleration when available. That's what I actually disabled.
windows_harware_accelerated.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Microsoft Windows”