BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by scole of TSBT »

How do I install a version of BOINC newer than what's in the default version in repository, version 7.2.42?
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#2 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by Bryan »

On mine I just run what you can download from the Berkeley BOINC download page which is version 7.4.25.

If you want something far more current you have to setup a new repository and get it from there. I don't have it cuz I haven't upgraded mine since I 1st installed them. Scole will know.

Berkley download: HERE. Berkeley stopped supporting Linux after 7.4.25 so you have to go to the group that now does Linux BOINC.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by davidbam »

Bryan wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:44 pm Scole will know.
it's him asking :P
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#4 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by Bryan »

Well shoot, I thought Scole knew everything :lol:

I know that Mumps put out the instructions in an obscure post on SUSA. Obscure because it under something totally non-related. I thought I had saved it but I didn't or I can't find it.

Send Mumps a PM and ask him to post it on a new Topic and then we can copy it here.

There is a group that took over BOINC Linux development because Berkeley was ignoring it ... way back when. It seems to me there was an issue of them dropping some of the older versions that supported some of the old AMD cards. I think there were some hooks in the older kernels that they used to allow the drivers to run. Anyway they supposedly setup a distro for things like "trusty" vs the one they have for current kernels. Mumps know all that stuff.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#5 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by scole of TSBT »

I'm just looking for something that supports the latest config settings. I have a version of 7.4.22 that I can upload which supports the important ones to me. I'm just looking for a method of simply adding/changing a repository and installing with one command.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#6 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by Bryan »

Okay I think I found it. This is the repository link: HERE.

The commands to add the repository and get the latest update:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:costamagnagianfranco/boinc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install boinc
I know there is a modification you can make to it to get the exact version you want. I'd highly recommend contacting Mumps and ask him about it Steve. I'm not sure all of them will work with Trusty or Xenial.

BTW, that was in a thread "Boinc 7.4.22 for linux" started by some dude named Scole in 2015. :o
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#7 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by Bryan »

scole of TSBT wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:52 am I'm just looking for something that supports the latest config settings. I have a version of 7.4.22 that I can upload which supports the important ones to me. I'm just looking for a method of simply adding/changing a repository and installing with one command.
I don't know what the latest config settings are, but 7.4.25 available from Berkeley I think added the project_max_concurrent command. I think only the max_concurrent command was available in 7.4.22.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#8 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by Bryan »

This page shows what the package was originally built for. HERE.

7.9.3 is what is in the distro for Mint 19 "Bionic".
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by Alez »

Installing the repo as per the code above will give you the latest BOINC manager available from the development group. I run it on all my nix systems.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#10 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by scole of TSBT »

I'm not a linux guru, yet. Which distro is ok for linux mint 17.3 based on ubuntu 14.04?
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#11 Re: BOINC for Linux Mint 17.3

Post by Dirk Broer »

scole of TSBT wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:39 am I'm not a linux guru, yet. Which distro is ok for linux mint 17.3 based on ubuntu 14.04?
Google is your best friend, and he reads https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Min ... on_history
It boils down to that Mint 17 "Qiana", 17.1 "Rebecca", 17.2 "Rafaela" and 17.3 "Rosa" all have their roots in Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr", the last LTS version with good FGLRX support (for your Ati/AMD GPUs)

None of my Linux boxes run anything other that BOINC 7.9.3 at the moment
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”