LHC@home: Virtualbox is not installed

Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 LHC@home: Virtualbox is not installed

Post by Hal Bregg »

Hello,

BOINC complains that Virtualbox is not installed.
It is installed, I am added to vbox group, OS is Debian 9.

Should I modify project's xml file to rectify this error?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: LHC@home: Virtualbox is not installed

Post by davidbam »

You are out of my league on that one Hal, but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

I did think though that LHC projects were winding down pretty soon. Maybe only some of them
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#3 Re: LHC@home: Virtualbox is not installed

Post by Bryan »

Make sure that "Virtualization" is turned on in BIOS.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#4 Re: LHC@home: Virtualbox is not installed

Post by Dirk Broer »

Are you using Virtual Box from the repository, or did you download it from Oracle?

Did you install BOINC in the User directory, or did you let the repository install BOINC into /var/lib/boinc-client?

Make sure -in either case- that the user BOINC has read/write rights in Virtual Box...
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#5 Re: LHC@home: Virtualbox is not installed

Post by Hal Bregg »

Bryan wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:55 pm Make sure that "Virtualization" is turned on in BIOS.
It's on
Dirk Broer wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 pm Are you using Virtual Box from the repository, or did you download it from Oracle?

Did you install BOINC in the User directory, or did you let the repository install BOINC into /var/lib/boinc-client?

Make sure -in either case- that the user BOINC has read/write rights in Virtual Box...
If my memory is correct I installed Vbox from repository. I will confirm BOINC installation paths on Monday as I don't have access to that PC.

Update:

I can confirm that BOINC is installed in /var/lib/boinc-client. Now, the question is how do resolve permission issues. Which files/catalog should have sufficient read/write permissions?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”