Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Here is a step by step guide for installing Lubuntu 17.10 with boinc and nvidia gpu's.
Written by an idiot so it should work. Have computer built as you want it, GPU on Mobo etc.

Guide is also valid for Lubuntu 18.04 LTS versions. Newest version is 18.10 which has changed name for software center. Further info is available in the thread. At some point I'll write a new guide for 18.10.

Download Lubuntu 17.10 lt's https://lubuntu.me/ use the 64bit version unless you really have to use 32bit ( really old computer ) Don't use 12.04 LTS or you are on your own. I'm never touching that again, and 13.04 has lots of issues with broken openCL. 16.04 LTS is fine as is 16.10 although I believe the AMD drivers in both are broken.

Burn iso to USB. Use Universal USB installer https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/

Make sure boot from USB is set in bios as 1st option. Stick USB in system, boot and
install Lubuntu.Remember to input a password as you will need one also set system to automatically log you in unless you really want to input your password every time you boot When finished system will reboot.

Upon reboot let system update install updates if it is required. Reboot if required. Don't set system to automatically download updates unless you maintain system freqently as otherwise you will run into disc space issues. Leave as notify.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Select preferences - power manager
blank screen after-> never
put to sleep after -> never
switch off after -> never

select software updater and enable partner repo's in SETTINGS -> OTHER SOFTWARE and select all 4 options.( use file manager to search for it if it is not on your launch bar )

Select dpkg package manager from system tools / synaptic package manager and search / mark for install the following packages

Sysinfo
Psensor
Freeglut3 ( freeglut3-dev )
Virtualbox
7zip ( p7zipfull )
java ( openjdk-9-jdk ) Java 8 installed by default
boinc ( boinc)
(boinc-client-nvidia-cuda )
( boinc-client-opencl )

(this will install all the libraries needed for GPU crunching, and cover all your bases )

hit apply.

select additional drivers from the software updater ( SETTINGS -> ADDITIONAL DRIVERS )
this will search and give options for nvidia drivers, install latest nvidia driver available

Reboot when finished
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Select sysinfo from launcher bar
nvidia
nvidia display settings
x server display configuration -> change underscan if required ( normally the screen is slightly too large )
save to x configuration file ( no name required )
if you want powermizer under GPU lets you set mode for GPU performance ( adaptive, prefer performance, auto etc. )

next we need to install the 32 bit libraries ( this list will do all the projects on boinc ( it
can be installed from software center, but installing 32bit, removes 64 bit, go figure )). This will
require the terminal i'm afraid, but dont worry. Either copy and paste or type exactly the commands in red. Linux is reliant on syntax

open terminal -> Ctrl-Alt-T

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lib32z1-dev
sudo apt-get install lib32ncurses5 libstdc++5
sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-libopencl1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally we update boinc to a up to date version by adding this PPA to your system
( You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding

This is a "testing" PPA, that typically is rebuilt with the newest Boinc version as they are released.
Type these commands in a terminal

CTRL-ALT-t)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:costamagnagianfranco/boinc

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
(will bring you to current version 7.8.3 (as of 5/3/18)) - ( 7.12.0 as of 10/18 )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boinc should now be running but no usable gpu will be found.

in terminal ( ctrl-alt-t )

sudo usermod -a -G video boinc
( this adds the unprivalidged boinc account to the video group )
You could also do the following instead.
su
usermod xxx -a -G boinc # add boinc group to your user xxx
chmod -R g+w /var/lib/boinc-client # makes the boinc client directory contents writable by boinc group members
find /var/lib/boinc-client -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \; # makes boinc the default group for all new files

sudo update-rc.d -f boinc-client remove
sudo update-rc.d boinc-client defaults 99
( move BOINC start-up to the end of start-up processing, this should not really be required anymore but it doesn't hurt to do )

sudo apt-get install nvidia-modprobe
sudo modprobe nvidia_uvm
( without nvidia-modprobe installed boinc will not find the GPU )

sudo service boinc-client restart
( restarts the boinc client )

Thats it, check boinc now see's a usable gpu in the start up log. Select boinc from launcher bar, ( advanced view -> advanced -> view log ( at the start of the log it

should now have entries for your GPU with both CUDA and openCL versions )) .
Once you have completed and have a GPU available to BOINC, running and controlling BOINC is exactly as you would under windows.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
launch Bam manager as per usual for new install or attach to project as per your preferences. Boinc will autoboot on startup of computer. Set all your preferences on

BOINC as you usually would.

Hope this helps more people crunch without the hassle and expanse of windows
Alez
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Thanks for this. I was wondering how to give permission to use my GPU :-)
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

[mention]davidBAM[/mention] Boinc should be able to use the nVidia for GPU crunching without having to directly give permission to do so and I presume you have the nVidia drivers installed from the repo rather than from nVidia ?

select additional drivers from the software updater ( SETTINGS -> ADDITIONAL DRIVERS )
this will search and give options for nvidia drivers, install latest nvidia driver available .
to ensure BOINC has permission to use nVidia GPU you can do

sudo usermod -a -G video boinc

this adds boinc to the video group.
also ensure you do

sudo apt-get install nvidia-modprobe
sudo modprobe nvidia_uvm

( without nvidia-modprobe installed boinc will not find the GPU )

sudo service boinc-client restart

This should then result in BOINC using your nVidia. If not check in computer preferences in the BOINC manager that you have actually enabled GPU computation and that the project you are connected to actually have GPU tasks available.
Welcome to the forums.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

An update ...

I am now configuring a machine with a Gigabyte rx580 gpu, 8Gb ddr5 memory. It is all running fine under Linux Mint 19 Tara
# lspci -k wrote:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 67df (rev e7)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 22fc
Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: amdgpu
I ran the modprobe with altered arguments and the restart - both without errors.

My questions now are therefore
  1. is there a way of checking that boinc client is seeing the GPU?
  2. Should I be contributing to another project or does WCG have work for my AMD GPU?
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Modprobe only works for nVidia GPUs. I think the problem with AMD is that the drivers from the repository does not have working openCL . You need to try the install in the AMD thread. Nvidia drivers will not work with AMD cards.

Checking the start of the boinc log will show whether boinc sees the AMD card or not. You also need to make sure you have use GPU checked in boinc manager.

WCG has no GPU projects currently.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#6 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Alez wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:52 pm You need to try the install in the AMD thread
This one? https://tsbt.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=2528 ... nothing added for 14 months??
Alez wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:52 pm Checking the start of the boinc log
I don't know how to do this, sorry
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Found the boinc log and, as you suspected, it says "No usable GPUs found"

I'll have a go at configuring it later. Hmmmm - might be easier to get an nVidia card :D
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 pm Found the boinc log and, as you suspected, it says "No usable GPUs found"

I'll have a go at configuring it later. Hmmmm - might be easier to get an nVidia card :D
On Linux it is far easier. Follow the steps in my post and it works everytime. I gave up with AMD cards quite a while ago. Basically I run all my nVidia's under lubuntu and all my AMD's under win 7. If you do get the AMD working let me know how and I'll update the AMD thread.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#9 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 pm
davidBAM wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 pm Found the boinc log and, as you suspected, it says "No usable GPUs found"

On Linux it is far easier. Follow the steps in my post and it works everytime. I gave up with AMD cards quite a while ago. Basically I run all my nVidia's under lubuntu and all my AMD's under win 7. If you do get the AMD working let me know how and I'll update the AMD thread.
I've since progressed to Ubuntu 18.04 variants, and still no support for older AMD cards, crunching-wise. Cards that were halfway supported in 16.04 have lost that support since too
Only the newest AMD Vega cards have a chance of being able to crunch, provided that they are detected at all.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#10 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

:( :( :(
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#11 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Windows, yuck.

Would anyone fancy trading my rx580 for a suitable Nvidia? I can provide cash balance if necessary.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#12 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

All working thanks - it was simpler to just buy an nvidia card :lol: :lol:

Now crunching for GPUGRID too
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#13 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 pm All working thanks - it was simpler to just buy an nvidia card :lol: :lol:

Now crunching for GPUGRID too
Pretty sad to say but ... yes, nVidia plus Linux is easy. AMD are really missing a trick here. I guess the money is where the games are and thats's on doze unfortunately.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#14 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Hmmm - I'm not out of the woods yet.

The whole machine crashes every time a GPUGRID job completes. This is predictable and seems unrelated to heat (which was my first thought, CPU temp never above 65C) - I have also changed all the RAM to no avail. No helpful messages in the kernel logs - just a string of nulls before messages for the reboot start
  • Mobo : Asrock X99 Extreme 3
    CPU : 22 core Xeon E5-2699v4 ES (yes, it is not a retail CPU)
    CPU cooler : Corsair H60 liquid-based
    RAM : 32 or 48 Gb
    Storage : 512Gb m.2 SSD (hmmm - must check temperature on that)
    Graphics : GTX 1080

Linux Mint 18.3
Thoughts please?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#15 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Connect to primegrid and run some sieve jobs on the GPU or try Einstein. See if they complete and validate and we can narrow it down to project or machine issues.
For GPU crunching the GPU temp is important. Check what temp the GPU is at through psensor .
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#16 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Thanks. Okay - now crunching a GPU job for Einstein so I will report on progress. Neither sensors nor psensor is reporting GPU temperature though :(

I bought the Windforce (3 fan) version of the card with quiet cooling in mind
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#17 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

OK, let me know how it goes then we can figure out if Linux or GPUGrid. You should also be able to see temp under nVidia, powermizer . Strange that psensor doesn't report temps. Maybe it is different from Lubuntu but both are based on the same base code so should work.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#18 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Okay - I got the following results from the self-build BUT the system crashed 5 or 6 times in the process so not exactly viable. This is with ES cpu and nVidia, Linux Mint 18.3

davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#19 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

SO ... I pulled the nVidia from the self-build and put it into a Dell T7910 with slower (but official) CPUs. That has been crunching good-o on GPU GRID without a single problem.

What I do not, however, is that software versions have changed too
  • Dell is Boinc 7.9.3, nVidia 390.48 and Linux Mint 19
  • self-build is Boinc 7.6.31, nVidia 384.13 and Linux Mint 18.3
I'll get around to pinning down the root cause at some point but, for the moment, I am in a mood to try something radically different for Boinc on the self-build i.e. freeBSD, AMD rx580
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#20 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

How do you keep your nVidia GPU cool? I've been seeing run times increase by 50% which I am putting down to the card throttling back to as to generate less heat.

The backplate of the card (GTX 1080) surely is hot. Airflow is pretty good in the Dell, I was wondering if passive heatsinks might be a good (and low cost) solution?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#21 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Push as much air through the systems as you can. If the case can take more fans then fit them. I've ended up modifying cases ( ie cutting holes in them ) to fit more fans. Some of my systems run outside the house so they are easier to cool. Sometimes it's better to run without the case lid if noise is not an issue.
I don't know about the GTX1080 as I don't have one , maybe [mention]Megacruncher[/mention] can comment as he does, but my GTX 980's run at 75C all day with the fan profile at 50%. The newer nVidia drivers seem to favour quietness over cooling and they don't really kick in until 60C. Great for a PC sitting around all day, not so much use if it's crunching 24/7.
On linux you can also install or enable coolbits where you can set a custom fan profile. I've never had to do that but I believe you still can.

see here for running coolbits.

also here for far more detailed overview. Note that the first answer is wrong. You can only pass one argument to coolbits, in this case you want to set Option "Coolbits" "4"
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#22 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 pm SO ... I pulled the nVidia from the self-build and put it into a Dell T7910 with slower (but official) CPUs. That has been crunching good-o on GPU GRID without a single problem.

What I do not, however, is that software versions have changed too
  • Dell is Boinc 7.9.3, nVidia 390.48 and Linux Mint 19
  • self-build is Boinc 7.6.31, nVidia 384.13 and Linux Mint 18.3
I'll get around to pinning down the root cause at some point but, for the moment, I am in a mood to try something radically different for Boinc on the self-build i.e. freeBSD, AMD rx580
The Boinc version should not matter neither should the cpu, however I believe only certain drivers are compatible with the 1080 card.

Also if you do this :

CTRL-ALT-t ( open terminal window)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:costamagnagianfranco/boinc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
You should get Boinc 7.12.0.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
Will also give you the latest nVidia drivers available for Mint. Be cautious with this though as they can be beta drivers.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#23 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

davidBAM wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:23 pm How do you keep your nVidia GPU cool? I've been seeing run times increase by 50% which I am putting down to the card throttling back to as to generate less heat.

The backplate of the card (GTX 1080) surely is hot. Airflow is pretty good in the Dell, I was wondering if passive heatsinks might be a good (and low cost) solution?
Problem wasn't being caused by heat at all, rather I had failed to provide allocation for the single CPU which the GPU uses :oops: :oops: This was leading to contention from the WCG crunching on the CPU side. Run times on GPU grid are now back to what they were originally

I also found that psensor DOES report nVidia temperature when it is displaying locally. I had been using psensor after remotely logging in with "ssh -Y" and, for some reason, this drops the nVidia from the display. GPU temperature is very very stable at 69-70°C, GPU utilisation is 65-80%, GPU fan speed circa 55%
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#24 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Sounds like all sorted now. Good job.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#25 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Yes, thanks for your help.

I am beginning to see that a single GPU can earn 10 times as many boinc points as my assembled array of multi-core Xeon-based machines. That said, I do like to crunch on WCG as three of our good friends have had their lives affected by cancer within the past few months,
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#26 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:23 am Yes, thanks for your help.

I am beginning to see that a single GPU can earn 10 times as many boinc points as my assembled array of multi-core Xeon-based machines. That said, I do like to crunch on WCG as three of our good friends have had their lives affected by cancer within the past few months,
Yes, GPU's will rack up the points far quicker than CPU's and some projects pay more than others, collatz for instance. That said, as you point out, there are many varied reasons for crunching a project or a group of projects. It's your equipment and electricity so you should always crunch what interests or motivates you .
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#27 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Hmmmm - just when it seemed to be going so well. BANG ... every GPU wu from GPUGRID fails with a computational error (within a few seconds).

I wonder if this might be related to the automated system software updates I did yesterday - that had some nVidia stuff in it.

ETA : nVidia driver now reported as 390.77. I see from earlier post that 390.48 was working okay (glad I posted that info). How do I get back to that version please, or can anyone confirm please that that version is okay to use?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#28 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

How bizarre - as if by magic, it has started working again.

I am baffled but happy
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#29 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Glad it's working. Got me thinking how to revert and to be honest I'm not sure. The issue is that both are 390 drivers.

For instance to remove 390 and install 387 you can do in terminal ( technically you could miss out the sudo apt-get remove nvidia* as installing a version should un-install previous versions. )

sudo apt-get remove nvidia*
or

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-390

sudo apt install nvidia-387
not 100% sure if you can change version numbers between main versions.

You could try looking in the software update center or synaptics package manager if you use it and see if different versions of drivers are available

not sure whether the following code would work or not to install specific drivers, never been something I've had to do.

sudo apt-get remove nvidia*
or

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-390

sudo apt install nvidia-390.48
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#30 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Initial post has been updated slightly.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#31 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Bryan »

Shoved the 1080Ti into the 2990WX. Looked at the Driver Manager (Mint 19) and it suggested Nvidia 390 so I selected that. It did its thing and said to restart which I did. It came up and I looked at BOINC and it was showing the card - kinda. It shows CUDA capability but it doesn't mention OpenCL. Should it?

2. If I go to the Nvidia control panel it shows the temp at 72C and the clock at 1900 w/ fan running 58%.

So how do I force the fan to 100%?

WU are finishing in 232s but none have validated yet so I don't know if they are good or not.

EDIT: 1 just validated so I'm up and running.

EDIT 2: Looking at the "top computers w/ 1080Ti" I'm guessing folks are running them 2 at a time.

EDIT 3: Switched to 2 WU at a time. Load now 100% (up from 61%), temp at 75, fan at 75%. 2 WU time = 339s
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#32 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

[mention]Bryan[/mention] not sure about driver in Mint, seems different versions have linux have different drivers in their repo's. I would have thought that boinc event log would show OpenCL if available. Maybe [mention]davidBAM[/mention] can comment. Can't check just now as only have windoze systems up and running.

Follow this Link for installation and use of coolbits to change fan speed.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#33 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Bryan »

Thanks Alez. As long as it is running Cuda I'm content for the moment.

It calculates to 1.8M/day and I can live with that. If I get the fan speed up to 100% I should gain about 150MHz clock rate.

The only thing I need to do now is start bringing up the CPUs on WCG and see how many threads I need reserve to keep my PG times the same.

For once something was actually a painless install - knock on wood :pray:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#34 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Hi

I do notice that PPS-Sieve is the only PrimeGrid nVidia sub-project specifying CUDA - all the others are OpenCL. Perhaps I'll try some of them after the sprint is over but I am loathe to change anything on my 1080 which is my best earner at the moment.

I only have the 1080 rather than the 1080Ti so 232 secs sounds about right as mine is taking variously 321 - 370 seconds
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#35 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

[mention]Bryan[/mention] To monitor GPU usage, you should be able to see it under nVidia control panel - powermizer option unless it's changed.

You can also run this from terminal

Sudo nvidia-smi -l 2
Alternatively install gpustat from package manager or terminal.

sudo apt-get install gpustat
Alternatively install glances

sudo apt-get install -y python-pip; sudo pip install glances[gpu]; sudo pip install nvidia-ml-py3

sudo glances
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#36 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

[mention]Bryan[/mention] , [mention]davidBAM[/mention] I think the driver versions available as standard in mint are old. You are both running 390 drivers and the latest by nVidia is 410.73 at the moment. nVidia linux drivers.
I've seen lots of people reporting issues with mint19 and 390 drivers.
I strongly recommend you both have a look at Lubuntu.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#37 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Okay, I have an Ubuntu machine ready and waiting to try the cards. I'll pull the card from whichever one finishes its downloaded WU first. I don't like aborting work
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#38 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:16 pm Okay, I have an Ubuntu machine ready and waiting to try the cards. I'll pull the card from whichever one finishes its downloaded WU first. I don't like aborting work
Lubuntu I hope :roll:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#39 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Bryan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:22 pm Thanks Alez. As long as it is running Cuda I'm content for the moment.
Your drivers on Mint are probably missing the openCL libs same as [mention]davidBAM[/mention]

sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-libopencl1
should solve your issue and give openCL support.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#40 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Actually the GTX960 is in an Ubuntu 18.04.1 machine and that has still loaded 390.77 drivers. ... NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (4095MB) driver: 39077 Linux Ubuntu
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS [4.15.0-38-generic|libc 2.27 (Ubuntu GLIBC 2.27-3ubuntu1)]

It is a pretty slow machine though - I'll be moving it to something much faster
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#41 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

downloading iso for lubuntu now
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#42 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Bryan »

As much as it pains me to say this; "You're a friggin genius!" :lol:

That gave me OpenCL and Collatz gives me work now. I'll finish a single WU and then start running PG full time.

I'm a happy camper. The only thing left is to figure out how to adjust the GPU clock although that isn't that high on my priority list.

FYI - running 390.77 driver.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#43 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Bryan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:45 pm As much as it pains me to say this; "You're a friggin genius!" :lol:
I know :ugeek:
I'll have a look but I'm certain there is no easy way to adjust clock speeds in Linux. Wish we could just run afterburner ....
I seem to remember there is a way to issue the commands via terminal, but unless you write a bash script it goes away every time you reboot.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#44 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:31 pm downloading iso for lubuntu now
Lubuntu is brilliant for giving older systems a new lease of life.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#45 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Bryan »

Alez wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:31 pm
I'll have a look but I'm certain there is no easy way to adjust clock speeds in Linux. Wish we could just run afterburner ....
you can use --coolbits=12 and it will give you the ability to control the clock speed from the Nvidia xserver app. I haven't done it but that is how it done.

BTW the 2990WX running 60 threads and the GTX 1080Ti running 100% draws 715W at the wall!
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#46 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Alez »

Bryan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 pm BTW the 2990WX running 60 threads and the GTX 1080Ti running 100% draws 715W at the wall!
Toasty beast :diabloanifire:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#47 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Bryan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 pm draws 715W at the wall!
Yours will be the house with no snow on the roof then !!
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#48 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Bryan »

The one nice thing is that it is 32F - 0C outside so I have the window open slightly in the computer room :whistle:
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#49 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by Dirk Broer »

davidBAM wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:28 pm
Bryan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 pm draws 715W at the wall!
Yours will be the house with no snow on the roof then !!
It's all relative. Having 15 AMD FM1 quad cores running also gives 60 cores, but the total Watts-from-the-wall is significantly higher.
Residing in a house without snow during the winter, 52°N, 4.5°E
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#50 Re: Installing lubuntu 17.10 LTS with Boinc / nVidia drivers

Post by davidbam »

Has anyone got a Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Blower?

I was wondering if they were noisier than comparable cards because the fan looks a bit smaller than usual :?

(Yes, have now progressed to sourcing hardware especially for crunching. Previously it was a case of putting existing idle systems to work :lol: :lol: )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Linux”