New 4870 GPU set-up?

Just as the title says!
johnn

#1 New 4870 GPU set-up?

Post by johnn »

Can anyone tell me a quick and easy to get WU's goin' for this card. Wanted to do MW Op. Apps for GPU. I have 6.10.18 W/ cat. 9.8? and BAM.
Was wanting to try Col. Con. GPU WU's but it's not offered in BAM.
Any other ideas on how to get GPU crunchin or way to to straighten this out? Bam seems to recognize card, but there not sending any GPU work. ie. MW. Seti says no astropulse work for GPU available.

Thanks again,
JohnN
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Hello,

the only projects that I'm aware of which can run on ATI GPU's are MilkyWay and Collatz. If Collatz is not available in BAM (Don't use it myself, so I can't be sure), then you should focus on MW.

To use it on MW, you need to install a custom science app and drive it with a proxy dll via app_info. It's a lot easier if you use Boinc 6.10.16 or above because that fixes a lot of problems that needed work-arounds (see below).

Download the appropriate GPU app from www.brilliantsite.com/milkyway (my guess is you need either win32 or win64 version.)

Shut-down Boinc completely, then extract the files and install as per the instructions in the readme. The files go into the Milkyway project folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BOINC\projects\milkyway.cs.rpi.edu for XP or C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\milkyway.cs.rpi.edu for Vista or Win7). For default installations, you shouldn't need to tweak the app info file.

If you use a version of Boinc earlier than 6.10, you need to follow the instructions in the readme file carefully to copy 3 dll's in your system32 directory. It's safer to use 6.10 or higher than poke around in system32. I use 6.10.16.

Re-start Boinc and it should request new WU's. The default is to crunch 3 WU's at a time. They should be done in around a couple of minutes or so. Your card should reach in excess of 80k per day.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

That's fairly typical........ the Nightlord kiss of death has struck.

MW is hard down (possibly for several days) due to disk failures. Looks like you will have to run Collatz on the ATI for now, but from your description that means not connecting via BAM.
johnn

#4 Thanks

Post by johnn »

Did like th Nightlord said, "I suprised myself somewhat... being able to find the appropriate folder to copy and paste to". That being said I guess the wait is on to see if I did it right.
Thanks again,
JohnN
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”