Radeon R7 250X not detected by BOINC

Just as the title says!
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#11 Re: Radeon R7 250X not detected by BOINC

Post by Dirk Broer »

Hal Bregg wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pmQuick research online tells me that this GPU is not supported as in a way other Radeons are.
The R7-250X is supported in the 19.20 driver, You may not have searched far enough.
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#12 Re: Radeon R7 250X not detected by BOINC

Post by Hal Bregg »

Dirk Broer wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:34 pm The -y argument sets all questions during the install to a default 'yes'.

The install of OpenCL depends heavily on the --opencl=pal,legacy argument. Without it you will get the infamous 'no useable GPU detected'...

Code: Select all

./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=pal,legacy --headless 
--headless will drop Accelerated graphics, Mesa multimedia, Pro OpenGL and Pro Vulkan
I tired above command without --headless argument with same results as when issuing ./amdgpu-pro-install -y.

Out of curiosity I opened synpatic to check what packages are installed and added boinc-client-opencl (7.9.3+dfsg-5ubuntu2) and
ocl-icd-libopencl1 (2.2.11-1ubuntu1) packages. After this I restarted boinc-client service. Still my GPU was not detected.

Once more I opened synaptic and installed these packages:

clinfo-amdgpu-pro (19.10-785425)
libopencl1-amdgpu-pro (19.10-785425)
opencl-amdgpu-pro (19.10-785425)
opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd (19.10-785425)
opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd (19.10-785425)

Finally I rebooted PC and viola. GPU shows up nicely in Boinc.

I assume that OpenGL was causing the trouble.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#13 Re: Radeon R7 250X not detected by BOINC

Post by Dirk Broer »

Something tells me you ran the ./amdgpu-pro-install not in the directory where the amdgpu-pro-install script is (/Downloads/driver/version), as it will install all the files you installed with synaptic, and more.
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#14 Re: Radeon R7 250X not detected by BOINC

Post by Hal Bregg »

Dirk Broer wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 am Something tells me you ran the ./amdgpu-pro-install not in the directory where the amdgpu-pro-install script is (/Downloads/driver/version), as it will install all the files you installed with synaptic, and more.
Believe me, Dirk, I did run install command in directory containing all unpacked files.
Right now I have another problem as none of the project supporting Radeon GPU work. But this is subject for another thread.

PS.

I gave up on installing drivers for this card on Linux. I wasn't getting anywhere. It works fine on Windows and I will be looking for to purchase Nvidia next year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”