complete linux newbie

Just as the title says!
Matelot

#1 complete linux newbie

Post by Matelot »

With all due respect to all.

Has anyone got a HOW TO: creating a Boinc farm, garden patch etc with out having to read through links etc. I've tried the read through links, but, there is something missing with them.

Any info would be most appreciated
Snowdog
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by Snowdog »

Did you have a look here? http://www.dunadd.co.uk/seti/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354

Nightlord posted a very useful step by step guide.
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Cheers Snowdog :)

Missed this, must have gone link blind :oops:
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

An update to my ramblings in that other thread.....

There is now an officially supported 64bit Boinc Client which can be downloaded (and will be automatically selected if you are running a 64bit Linux distro).

This is important if you want to run some projects with 32bit apps on you new 64bit machine.

To upgrade from a previous version (perhaps the v5.8.16 in the link I provided), open BoincMgr, select File>Exit. This will close and shutdown Boinc. Browse to you Boinc Folder and take a copy. Download the new Boinc version (currently v5.10.45) from Berkeley and install in exactly the same way as in the other thread. This will (should!) maintain all your data files, while upgrading to the new version. Open BoincMgr and check on the messages tab, you should see a version change message and it should be running cpu benchmarks as a result. After the benchmark is complete, Boinc will resume crunching.

If the upgrade went pear shaped, simply restore from the copy you took and try again.
:
:
:
To control a Boinc Farm under linux, I use exactly the same method for Windows. In fact I have Linux, XP and Vista boxes active here. I use BoincView, setting remote_hosts.cfg and gui_rpc_auth.cfg to allow an admin pc to control the farm. Neat and simple. Others use BAM to effect the same control.
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

YESSSS :D :D

Followed Nightlords distructions for 32-bit, and hay presto, it worked 8)

Got an old 2.4 intel working under Ubuntu :)

Had a bit of trouble with sharing, not sure what I did, but I can now see it on Boincview on my XP machine.

cheers Snowdog/Nightlord :D :D
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Ok Nightlord, oh master of the linux distro's :D :D

You got a howto on ubuntu diskless systems :?: :?:
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Wowsers Matelot, jumping from Linux newbie to headless farming shows enthusiasm for sure :shock:

So, firstly a get out clause: I've never actually built a headless farm, so I'd be interested as much as you.

Having said that, the best guide I've found is

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/arti ... s_Farm.pdf

It's for Folding, but once you have your nodes up and running, there's no reason why you can't put boinc on them.

This is not Ububtu, but uses LTSP. Also it's a few years out of date now, so there maybe some broken links.

Enjoy :wink:
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

I thiuoght you all might be interested in this, I found a link on the docking forum.

http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/Dotsch_UX.html

It for diskless systems using ubuntu.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I thiuoght you all might be interested in this, I found a link on the docking forum.

http://www.dotsch.de/boinc/Dotsch_UX.html

It for diskless systems using ubuntu.
Yeah, Dotsch seems to be pushing this quite hard - there's a message appeared somewhere on most active boards. The only feedback I've seen is one guy saying he couldn't get it to run under any circumstances. Of course, I have no idea what he tried!
Image Image
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

I've loaded the server up, but theres something wrong when adding diskless clients, DHCP sees the client, and assigns an IP address but TFTP doesn't seem to know where the files for download are :(
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

the whole diskless client thing seems like an awful lot of hassle for the cost of hard drives these days. unless there is another advantage i am missing the point off.
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

I know you can get a 500GB Sata Drive for £50 or less now, but the point for me is to use less power to run my rigs.

My next step, when I have a diskless farm, is to run 2 rigs from 1 PSU. :)
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Update, I've managed to get it working, looks like there was 2 files missing, now to checkout if boinc runs :)

If all goes well, then I'll turn my attension to the PSU issue 8)
steve

Post by steve »

Matelot wrote:I know you can get a 500GB Sata Drive for £50 or less now, but the point for me is to use less power to run my rigs.

My next step, when I have a diskless farm, is to run 2 rigs from 1 PSU. :)
have you tried CF cards? I run a few of my linux machines on 4 gb cards at approx 7 quid each low power consumption ( milliwatts ) no moving parts and easy to clone .....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”