Vista

Just as the title says!
Snowdog
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 Vista

Post by Snowdog »

Rant mode on "Vista is a pile of faeces" Rant mode off

Ok so Vista is very slowwwwwwww Anyone got tips on speeding it up?

2gb ram intel dual 3.0ghz and only 16credits per hour on ABC!
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Aye
Insert an Ubuntu disc and format Vista off the drive LOL
Vista is like every other Microsoft product in that it runs a load of crap in the background that you don't need.
Running MSconfig and removing a load of the junk from the startup can help a bit.
But to be honest unless you either go back to XP or run Linux you're not going to see any huge gains.
Snowdog
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by Snowdog »

Thanks Mike thats what I thought. However I really wanted to keep a reasonably fast windows machine online but who knows maybe Ubuntu is just to strong a call.
FlyingfocRS

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Well you can always make it dual boot and if you do need a Windows machine for a bit then you can just boot back into Windows for a bit then boot back into Ubuntu.
Snowdog
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by Snowdog »

Yeah I know dont really have a need for a windows machine at home so looks like Ubuntu will be installed at somepoint.
Is a pity but then it really is a pile of mince this Vista, not that i'm surprised just disappointed. Should have known better.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Woah....hang on just a minute.

OK, so Vista doesn't seem to have gone down too well, but it's not that bad. I've got dual core Vista laptop here that runs at 1.8GHz with 2GB ram. It runs just sweet.

What's your Vista performance scores? Is the ram operating in dual channel mode? What fsb do you have? What is the average CPU efficiency in you ABC account?

As far as crunching ABC goes, 16 credits per hour per virtual core might be about right on a 3GHz Pentium HT (that's what it looks like) running from a 32bit machine.

Sure switching to a 64 bit version of Ubuntu will increase the credits per hour, that doesn't make Vista the culprit. Your Dual core P4 running under XP seems to be getting about the same :wink:
ianmbaker2
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

Post by ianmbaker2 »

Hi,
Before abandoning Vista altogether, there are a few things you can look at / do which may make it a bit speefier.

1) If it's a new install of Vista, it may still be indexing all the files on your Hard Drive. You can turn this off if it's a problem.

2) have a look in Task Manager. If any processes other your BOINC projects are taking substantial amounts of processor, check if they are esential Windows processes and if not terminate them.

2) Also in Task manager, under Performance, check the value of Total Commit Charge and the value of Total Physical Memory. If Commit is greater than Total, your system will be thrashing the Page File, and this will slow it down. Add memory to fix. In my system, my Total Commit is 1.5Gb of memory. I increased my memory to 3Gb to compensate. Any more than 3Gb is a waste with a 32-bit OS.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Snowdog
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by Snowdog »

Ok chaps thanks for the info I will hang on and play about a little with the box and see what it produces.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Help”