ASIC Boincing Dead?

Discussions of function optimised hardware in the form of ASIC and FPGA
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

ASIC Boincing Dead?

Unread post by Megacruncher » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 am

Recovering from my Rip Van Wnkle style epic stupor, one of the most obvious changes is that it looks like we are all back on good old honest CPU & GPU crunching with evil cheating ASIC nowhere to be found.
Is that an accurate perception?
And what have people done with their miners?
Are they worth selling or should I start mining bitcoins, which some sources suggest is now worthwhile, whereas a couple of years ago you'd have been hard pushed to cover the cost of the electricity.

Willie the Megacruncher

scole of TSBT
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

Re: ASIC Boincing Dead?

Unread post by scole of TSBT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:26 am

There's not any Boinc projects using the ASICs. Gridcoin is paying it's team members a pittance to crunch for them and a couple other projects appear to be gearing up to reward crunchers in crypto currency. To figure out whether it's worth while to mine bitcoin or some other sha-256 crypto currency, find a website like What to mine, plug in the hash rate, power consumption of your whole rig and lecky rate and it will show you what the current profit or loss is for mining various currencies.

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Unread post by Alez » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:52 am

I sold all mine on ebay and converted them into newish nVidea cards, 970 and 980's. I then sold most of the older AMD cards and again converted that into more nVidea 970 and 980's. Much more crunching power with less heat and lecky. Also easy to set up on Lubuntu linux. I have a few more cards that I need to sell on as round two of the revamp, plus a few 7970's that I really should move on to.
The miners all sold no problem, so I guess there is still a market in the UK for mining Bitcoin. The only ones I have left were the old butterfly rigs which were too heavy and underpowered to make it worthwhile selling them. They are gathering dust incase another ASIC project comes along, but in reality, they are only useful as door stops.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....

Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

Unread post by Dirk Broer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:16 pm

I am glad I only invested into USB-stick miners....
I do hope some geek will make a Seti@Home ASIC or so in the future though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “ASIC & FPGA Enchanced Devices”