Someone trying to cheat on SRBase

Forum rules
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Someone trying to cheat on SRBase

Post by Alez »

Surprised this hasn't happened before now, or it's been kept quiet, but looks like someone was cheating on SRBase to gain GridCoins. :o Who would ever have thought that would happen :think:

http://srbase.my-firewall.org/sr5/forum ... 8&start=75

1 Feb 2018, 5:09:40 UTC
A new host created some days ago reported a lot of errors (around 100k results are useless) and need to be rerun soon. The validator cant intercept these bad results due the OS which is running there. I set it on the blacklist now.

I will try to setup more work later today. Still running some doublechecks.

Update:
Still rerun some missing results. After this is done until tomorrow more work for R151 will be added.

Stumbled here because of that host, and its user "abcman", and the job logs.

It looks like they created a script to create fake XML result files. The "called boinc_finish" was missing the return code 0 indicator like from a real result.

Hopefully you can find a way to check results a little better before that user changes their host ID and gets back in for another batch. They earned 350 GRC in 36 hours off of this hole.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#2 Re: Someone trying to cheat on SRBase

Post by Bryan »

I was running it when that happened. The guy had a machine running Darwin. He was taking 2 seconds to do WU that were taking 15 minutes on fast machines.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: Someone trying to cheat on SRBase

Post by scole of TSBT »

I wonder if it was that a-hole from China who scammed bitcoin and bragged about scamming others.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Someone trying to cheat on SRBase

Post by Alez »

scole of TSBT wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 pm I wonder if it was that a-hole from China who scammed bitcoin and bragged about scamming others.
That did cross my mind, but there again, BOINC was always set up for meaningless points. You add a ' payment ' into the mix and it will always attract no gooders. I will be surprised if this was the first and I'm sure it won't be the last. I just regard the whole GridCoin concept as for the guillable. The amount of idiots from that team that post on project forums asking why they are not getting paid by the project etc or bitching about no work because it's effecting their ' RAC '
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: Someone trying to cheat on SRBase

Post by Alez »

here's a good one..... this guy actually thinks BOINC is set up for them to mine and they are now the BOINC police.
have been mining Gridcoin for months now, but I've always wondered how easy it would be for a BOINC admin to set their RAC extremely high to make lots of money. Does the Gridcoin system have any way to deal with this type of fraud?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “SRBase”