Forum access error

Report any issues and problems with the forum here
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Forum access error

Post by Alez »

[mention]scole of TSBT[/mention] Checked phpbb logs after you're access error last night, no errors reported. Checked, validated and optimised the sql tables again no errors. Checked site metrics and it reports no errors in the last 24 hours. Have backup of tables and backup of forum made just in case. Hopefully just a one off glitch.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

I've had that once as well.

I got around it by changing the URL manually, problem is I forget what I changed it to.

Try https://TSBT.co.uk on its own
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: Forum access error

Post by Alez »

It can also sometimes happen if you have all pop-ups blocked, although the browser should inform you it blocked the pop up.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#4 Re: Forum access error

Post by Dirk Broer »

Forum is slow as s@#*t on a freezing day, keep getting

Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#5 Re: Forum access error

Post by scole of TSBT »

yeah. we have something going on. does the server control panel provide access logs so we can see if something is "unexpected" is putting a load on the server or is there other troubleshooting info? Database performance? Do we need to up the system resources?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: Forum access error

Post by Alez »

I'll try to see. Look under Metrics on the cpanel. See if you can see something I am not ?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

Seems fine for me apart from the very occasional 503
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Forum access error

Post by Alez »

Which 503 ? failed or unavailable ? Random or on a specific forum ?
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#9 Re: Forum access error

Post by jockmacmad2 »

After wondering for quite some time I thought I better ask if General Errors afflict others too. The amount I get is quite amazing.

The 503 Lost connect to MySQL means some nights I cannot even login, and loading pages can take 10-12+ attempts or just not at all.

Attempted multiple physical locations and t'internet connections, computers, browsers to no avail.
jockmacmad2

#10 Re: Forum access error

Post by jockmacmad2 »

And right on time here is the error

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Lost connection to MySQL server during query [2013]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#11 Re: Forum access error

Post by Alez »

I'm not seeing any errors. Anyone else suffering this ?
Problem is that that is normally an error on the server side, nothing that you can do with a browser etc that will change it. Basically for you, the access to the forum posts you want to see are timing out server side. However it does indicate network connectivity trouble and you should check the condition of your network if this error occurs frequently because the error message includes “during query,” this is probably the case you are experiencing.
Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#12 Re: Forum access error

Post by Gibson Praise »

jockmacmad2 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:55 pm After wondering for quite some time I thought I better ask if General Errors afflict others too. The amount I get is quite amazing.
I don't know if this will help. I was having some problems recently that seems specific to this forum. It went away went I marked all posts/forums read and it only had to parse a few posts that were new ( at least that was my interpretation ).
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#13 Re: Forum access error

Post by scole of TSBT »

I get the SQL General Error often. I just marked all read, will see if that helps me and report back in a few days.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#14 Re: Forum access error

Post by Bryan »

I very rarely have any problems but every night I do mark all messages read.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#15 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

+1 to that Bryan
jockmacmad2

#16 Re: Forum access error

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Given I have 8188 Unread that may well be the culprit... trouble is if I click on the unread button I have never managed to get into that view because of <drumroll> General Error </drumroll>
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#17 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

Next time you get the forum home page ... click Mark forums read link towards top right
jockmacmad2

#18 Re: Forum access error

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Yeah I was trying that one previously with no success. Anhyhoo I managed this time and it does feel a little snappier now, Huzzah
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#19 Re: Forum access error

Post by Alez »

I've started changing some stuff in the back end of the forum to try and make it more snappy. Let me know if the problems get better or worse please.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#20 Re: Forum access error

Post by scole of TSBT »

I've not had an errors since I cleared the Unread and it's been snappier. Don't know if it's related or coincidence
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#21 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

Certainly explains why I see so few problems.

I am guessing it is in the MOD which puts on New, Active etc buttons on top right. Shame as this is otherwise a really nice feature. Is it configurable at all?
Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#22 Re: Forum access error

Post by Gibson Praise »

Well, since I pointed out the unread posts concern .. I'll bring this up: there has been an increase in number of postings over the past year ( the daily and weekly updates on a per project basis for FB tracking). That makes for a lot more unread posts if you are not a regular or don't clear your unreads. The posts are very useful and I'd not lose them .. but the daily posts from 6 months ago ( or 3 months or .. ), personally I could lose those ( permanently ), and just save the weeklies. Perhaps that might mitigate some issues.

g
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#23 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

The daily posts are pruned to 20 to 40 days worth. This is useful for seeing where other teams are crunching. I, for one, do use this occasionally
Gibson Praise
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#24 Re: Forum access error

Post by Gibson Praise »

davidBAM wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:02 am .. daily pruned to 20 to 40 days worth ..
useful suggestion - already implemented .. :oops:

this is why I retired :roll:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#25 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

;)

In truth, like a lot of other forums, we've had various word games contributing 100 or more posts per day, so the core problem does need to be addressed properly. So chuffed that you spotted it was down to Unread posts as this has dogged some users for a long time
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#26 Re: Forum access error

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:06 am Certainly explains why I see so few problems.

I am guessing it is in the MOD which puts on New, Active etc buttons on top right. Shame as this is otherwise a really nice feature. Is it configurable at all?
This mod has been used for ages and has never caused a problem. It simply gives you buttons to navigate the posts and has no extra load on the posts that would already be there and marked by the standard forum methods.
I think it is down to the daily posts meaning that if you miss a few days then you log in to over one hundred unread posts. Because of this I have started just clearing all unread forums and then skimmimg through the active posts. Have done this for probably thelast year so that may explain why I see very few issues.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#27 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

I'm not so sure at all. It reports the number of unread POSTS which doesn't exist anywhere else on the forums. Even if there are more than one unread in a thread.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#28 Re: Forum access error

Post by Alez »

Unread posts are all marked as such in a standard forum and is available under search etc as well. The mod simply gives you a far more obvious set of buttons for unread posts / active topics etc. If for some reason you thing that this mod has started causing issues, I'll disable it, but I doubt you'll like the standard search or clicking on the forum icons to get the lists of unread posts.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#29 Re: Forum access error

Post by davidbam »

Anyhow - if you haven't logged in for a few days there SHOULD be hundreds of unread posts on a busy forum ;)
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#30 Re: Forum access error

Post by Alez »

I'll also update the cached sigs again, as accessing all the sigs from sebs site has a huge impact on load times. Using the cached version on our server makes a huge improvement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Website Problems”