TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/challen ... /chat/1047

Name C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do!
Status Upcoming
Project World Community Grid
Issued by The Scottish Boinc Team
Start time 2018-12-24 00:00 UTC
End time 2018-12-31 00:00 UTC
Late entrants allowed? Yes
Number of teams participating » 8
Number of users participating 0
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Very splendid, thanks

I am working on a team email shot so will include this
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

Seventeen teams signed up so far

AMD Users
The Knights Who Say Ni!
Colombia
USA
L'Alliance Francophone
BOINC@Poland
BOINC@AUSTRALIA
SETI.Germany
Planet 3DNow!
UK BOINC Team
SETI.USA
BOINC.Italy
ObDoHe
The Scottish Boinc Team
BOINC-Croatia
STUTTGART OST
The Lucky Ogre
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

I've only been focusing on WCG hours lately. What's the scoop on highest paying sub-project and deadlines?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#5 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Bryan says Zika pays well. Deadlines look to be about 10 days (judging by the first machine I looked at)
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#6 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Dirk Broer »

If you want to warm up for this challenge, instead of working on your bunker drop you can join this challenge at WCG held in honor of our late member Ramjet (for those of you who like to compare their scores against others: he worked under the Jason1478963 account, and had our biggest collection of 100-year badges together with his account mates -his family).
It is a runtime based challenge for all sub-projects (in the hope new sub-projects will come out in December)
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

Cheers Dirk. I'm sure it will be our honour to join you in this celebration for Ramjet.
[mention]davidBAM[/mention] you need to sign us up for this one as boss of all things WCG related.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Happy to report that I have now done so. I didn't know the man himself but delighted to join in to honour his magnificent contributions
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#9 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

It will be time to load bunkers for this challenge SOON!

[mention]davidBAM[/mention] this might be a good time to practice the Fa Kyu multi-client technique here at the TSBT Dojo
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#10 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Lol okay

Remember there is the time-based challenge happening the week before. Does bunkering still apply to a time-based one?
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#11 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

Do you have a link to that challenge?

EDIT: Found it. Yes, you can load up a huge bunker, drop it when our challenge begins and the hours will count towards the Ramjet Memorial challenge too.

OOPS! I jumped the gun a little. It won't be time to load bunkers until sometime after 00:00 UTC tonight. I'm going to wait until the 14th at 12:00 UTC. That way I'll have 12 hours to get my bunker uploaded before they expire.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#12 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Dirk Broer wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:21 pm If you want to warm up for this challenge, instead of working on your bunker drop you can join this challenge at WCG held in honor of our late member Ramjet (for those of you who like to compare their scores against others: he worked under the Jason1478963 account, and had our biggest collection of 100-year badges together with his account mates -his family).
It is a runtime based challenge for all sub-projects (in the hope new sub-projects will come out in December)
Edit: [mention]scole of TSBT[/mention] saw your edit but posted here for others to see ... https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team ... ngeId=9283
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#13 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

First round of WUs loaded up! The V4s on linux are chewing up the zika WUs quickly.

FYI...MCM only has a 7 day deadline so it's too soon to load those WUs.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#14 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

I'm not clear which dates I should be planning to release bunkers given 3 overlapping challenges. If I knew that, I could work backwards from there
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#15 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

Bunkers ? I'm looking at just running flat out from the start of the AMD challenge until the end of the year. Think I should be able to get at least another 10 systems on this if I find the motivation to fire up the tech shed. Bloody cold out just now. Then of course there are the obsolete systems I haven't recycled yet ... one last hurrah which goes against the whole efficiency theory ? And of course the electricity has to be offset with next years racing budget... competitiveness always seems to get me into trouble .
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#16 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

The Ramjet challenge overlaps with the TSBT challenge but the CRUNCHERS SANS FRONTIERES monthly challenge unfortunately doesn't. For credit and hours to count towards the TSBT and Ramjet challenges, bunkers must be uploaded between 00:00 UTC on Dec 24th and 00:00 UTC Dec 25th. I would target between 01:00 UTC Dec 24th and 20:00 UTC Dec 24th. It can take a while to upload large bunkers.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#17 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

If you have to run windows, WCG Zika runs significantly faster on linux VM than it does on windows.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#18 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

Very frustrated. 5 more droid systems and they don't work yet. Every offline server system I have tried to get back online is claiming memory failures. Going to be a lot of computer parts scattered across a table tomorrow. Not a happy bunny just now.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#19 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

I get days like that too. A speciality of mine is borrowing a known-working component from another machine only end up adding another broken machine.

Good luck.

PS: a soft eraser along the DIMM contacts has been known to work but you probably know that one
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#20 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

By contrast, I actually find myself in good shape for once. Mainly because I am only running my 'usual' projects, WCG and Collatz. Getting a dozen or so machines ready to bunker, then sprint, on a project you've never run before can be quite a challenge.

Boinctasks has helped as well. I decided to run it on a dedicated Windows laptop (thanks Pete) and am liking the colour coding on the WU. The grouping also makes huge bunkers much more manageable.

I decided to go for a bunker drop on Weds 19th to catch Ramjet's Memorial and the Crunchathlon; thereafter I can either run open, or try to rebunker a few days for the 24th. It would seem a shame not to start our own Elves project with a decent bunkerful
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#21 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

One system up and running. Just updating Lubuntu on it. Pretty simple fix.
Second one has every single diagnostic light on. Could be more challenging. Got the i5 system to construct as well.
Cores, never enough cores ....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#22 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

did you go with Ubuntu 18.10 on anything ?
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#23 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Bryan »

I'm tied up until the sometime on the 19th running a team challenge for SUSA - Acoustics. Then I'll switch WCG.

I'm going to try sneaking up on Mumps. I started 2 days late and I was making headway until he noticed and he talked about putting some more cores on it. So today I caught the #2 guy and said on the SUSA forums that since I was in that spot I was going to cut back. The reality is I found on the Acoustics forum that the app is 35% faster on Windows so I switched over. Now I have to get past the fee you have to pay to Mr. Pending before you can get traction. With any luck I can surprise Mumps. :lol:

BTW, when we start WCG I will have retired 72 threads so my normal run rate on WCG will be down.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#24 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

If anyone in the UK is looking for Android devices to crunch WCG on, these work well and the price is right. They are Android 4.4 so you can install Native Boinc on them. These are the S812 chip.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312355707356
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163385293205

Is there a new version of Boinc from Berkeley yet that runs on ANdroid 5.+ and allows remote connections?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#25 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

I've just bought one of the cheaper ones to see how it goes. Thanks
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#26 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

I've still got 5 droid systems, a server and the new i5 to get online before the kick off. Spent all day today at a hospital so not much progress so far.
[mention]davidBAM[/mention] I have M8's , they are good systems but the power supply with the units are shit. For 24/7 crunching they need to be min 2A or they die very quickly. I have 2 systems that need new PSU's and I think all the old toast rack have finally killed their SD cards.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#27 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Nothing serious I hope. I had a hospital day on Friday actually, 2 yearly checkup
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#28 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

11k complete. Hopefully twice that for the drop.

Chooka03 a friend of yours Pete? He posted on the BoincStats challenge page.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#29 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Bryan »

As of an hour ago I'm back on WCG but I'm running open. I have to get my machines trusted again since I had some WU on each machine go past their deadlines.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#30 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

20 teams in now :-)
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#31 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Just under 23hrs until the start of the challenge folks :D
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#32 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

How long is it until trusted. My systems are 7 days in and still throwing pendings. Thought it was less than that.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#33 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Bryan »

You become trusted when 14-15 consecutive WU validate. If you loaded up with a bunch of WU before you were trusted then they stay that way even if you become trusted. The best way is to set your resource share to .01/.01 so WCG only gives you enough WU to match your threads. Once trusted you can open it up.

Even after becoming trusted it occasionally issues 4-5 WU that requre a wingman so it can check that you should still be trusted.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#34 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

... and they are off 8-)
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#35 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

great start :-)

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#36 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

Currently 1st from the 20 registered teams. Great work guys. 4 of you in the top 10.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#37 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

Cruncher Pete wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:23 am Great Start and I am not even missed. I better start releasing my bunkers.
Just stand down wind please
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#38 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

scole of TSBT wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:42 am
Cruncher Pete wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:23 am Great Start and I am not even missed. I better start releasing my bunkers.

Wait until the brussel sprout effect kicks in after Xmas dinner :D
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#39 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:47 am
scole of TSBT wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:42 am

Wait until the brussel sprout effect kicks in after Xmas dinner :D
Brussels sprouts? Best with chestnuts....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#40 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Lead now 3 million :lol:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#41 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Bryan »

Deja Vu .. u.t.g on my butt and having to run down that DavidBAM guy again!
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#42 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Yup, you have all taught me well. At least bunkering gives me a few days of fame. Maybe one day I'll sneak in a monster new build which will stop you catching me :lol:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#43 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Bryan »

davidBAM wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 am Yup, you have all taught me well. At least bunkering gives me a few days of fame. Maybe one day I'll sneak in a monster new build which will stop you catching me :lol:
That works for me :lol:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#44 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

One day into the challenge and TSBT holds 1st place.
scole of TSBT The Scottish Boinc Team 1 2,095,598
Cruncher Pete The Scottish Boinc Team 2 1,180,053
Bryan @ SUSA The Scottish Boinc Team 3 623,967
davidBAM The Scottish Boinc Team 4 554,025
Kudos to you guys hitting the top 4.
Mega has 9th place and I've managed to drag my ass into 20th place.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#45 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

:reindeer:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#46 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

scole of TSBT wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:29 am :reindeer:
Indeed, Merry Christmas to you and yours to. I hope Santa is kind to you this year.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#47 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by scole of TSBT »

Alez wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:35 amIndeed, Merry Christmas to you and yours to. I hope Santa is kind to you this year.
Likewise. I hope the next Jackie Stewart has a good year also. McLaren Racing called him back yet?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#48 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Alez »

scole of TSBT wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:26 am
Alez wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:35 amIndeed, Merry Christmas to you and yours to. I hope Santa is kind to you this year.
Likewise. I hope the next Jackie Stewart has a good year also. McLaren Racing called him back yet?
For the E racing side of things, he beat both Renault and Sauber's best professional efforts, for that he has an international team place next season .... In the real world, next season without the weight penalty and without the rookie license, it will be fun or at least fireworks. I am looking forward to it.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#49 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by davidbam »

Our lead is now almost 5M. Great work guys
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#50 Re: TSBT team challenge 24/12-31/12 C'mon Ye Elves - yule have nothing else to do! - WCG

Post by Bryan »

I said goodbye to 3 old friends today ... shut down 72 threads. Sending them off to friends tomorrow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “archive”