27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGrid

scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGrid

Post by scole of TSBT »

https://boincstats.com/en/stats/challen ... /chat/1050

Name "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial
Status Upcoming Project GPUGRID
Issued by BOINC.Italy
Start time 2018-12-27 08:00 UTC
End time 2018-12-30 08:00 UTC
Late entrants allowed? Yes
Number of teams participating» 10
Number of users participating 0
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by scole of TSBT »

Let's support our friends at BOINC.Italy! This is a GPU challenge so it shouldn't interfere too much with our WCG challenge. A good time to upload that GPUGrid badge ;)
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#3 Re: "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by davidbam »

I should be able to put a couple of 1080 onto it. Let me check the situation with bunkering and Collatz WU.

Just when I thought I was nearly set :P
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by davidbam »

Getting WU with 25-Dec deadline so will revisit this on Saturday
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#5 Re: "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by scole of TSBT »

Be sure to change the project prefs to only run the ACEMD short runs (2-3 hours on fastest card) and ACEMD long runs (8-12 hours on fastest GPU) because they do have CPU WUs currently but aren't worth the credit effort unless you want the WUProp hours. The longer GPU ones pay more than the shorter ones and they pay a bonus if you return them within 24 hours so don't bunker more than you can finish by the time the challenge starts. Keep your cache low but make sure you have 1 ready to start.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#6 Re: "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by davidbam »

Thank you. Done
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by davidbam »

Actual time is about 5hrs 20mins (gtx 1080). Are there Collatz-style optimisations I should be doing? Or 2 WU per GPU?
Completed and validated 19,336.53 (GPU) 4,239.31 (CPU) 235,350.00 (points) Long runs (8-12 hours on fastest card) v9.19 (cuda80)
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by davidbam »

Server status shows only Quantum Chemistry has significant amount of work and that is a CPU project. The ACEMD projects have barely any work so I think I'll just keep it open and accept any ACEMD that comes my way
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#9 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by scole of TSBT »

It helps to run a GPUGrid tickler script on a 60 or 30 minute timer.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#10 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by davidbam »

I don't know how to do that, sorry :oops:

boincmd in a shell script maybe ??
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#11 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by scole of TSBT »

do you run boinctasks on win or linux?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#12 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by davidbam »

Mainly Windows 10 but I started off by trying it under Linux / Wine too. So both available
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#13 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial

Post by davidbam »

I'll be back home pretty early on the 27th so I might join this a few hours late. Thing is, I seem to only get GPUGRID jobs when I suspend Collatz and I don't want to do that longer than necessary.

But the good news is that I can then put four 1080s onto it as I'll be here to keep an eye out
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#14 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by scole of TSBT »

Another note about GPUGrid. It's one of the projects that won't work trying to run multiple clients. As soon as a new client connects to the GPUGrid server any previously downloaded WUs from other clients on the same machine are worthless. They will abort as soon as the older client connects to the server. Yoyo is the same way.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#15 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

only getting one GPU running. app_config follows. Same machine runs collatz on 2 cpu no problem

Code: Select all

<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>2</project_max_concurrent>
</app_config>
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#16 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

Got it !! I had to put this in app_config for WCG. Only 12 threads on this machine

Code: Select all

<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>10</project_max_concurrent>
</app_config>
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#17 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

Well I've just squeezed into the top 20 so will try to do a bit better. Now have three 1080s on it and a 44 CPU thread (can't seem to get more than 4 WU though (4 threads each). Damn thing wanted over 60Gb of disk space for the CPU jobs so I hope they pay at least a bit
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#18 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

getting more CPU jobs now though :D
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#19 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

5th and 6th place is a real ding-dong battle between ourselves and Seti-USA :-) We swap places almost hourly.

The WU are very large so I think it might just come down to who has some WU finishing just before the deadline
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#20 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

I think I have probably ruined any chance we had of grabbing 5th place. I pulled my GPUs overnight to pile on the Collatz credits as I'd really like to get into the top 1000 for total credits on Boincstats before the New Year. Sorry, not the actions of a real team player :oops:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#21 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by Bryan »

davidBAM wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:54 pm I think I have probably ruined any chance we had of grabbing 5th place. I pulled my GPUs overnight to pile on the Collatz credits as I'd really like to get into the top 1000 for total credits on Boincstats before the New Year. Sorry, not the actions of a real team player :oops:
Shame on you :lol: Personal goals matter too! It is really nice when those and team goals happen to align but that is not always the case.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#22 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

Actually ... ... I may have partially redeemed myself - 128 CPU cores now crunching GPUGRID (as I reckon we are walking the Elves challenge)

It won't be much but it'll help - wish I'd thought of it 10 hours ago
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#23 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

make that 84 threads - it refuses to give CPU work to a freeBSD machine (even when other 'Linux' work comes its way). Grrrrrr
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#24 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

Phew - I feel a bit better about finishing 6th when I see the finishing points difference. No way would my GPUs have kept us in 5th place.

Well done team
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#25 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by davidbam »

perfectly understandable
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#26 Re: 27/12 - 30/12 "Despite my age I don't live in the past, but in the future" 6th Rita Levi-Montalcini memorial - GPUGr

Post by Alez »

TSBT finished 6th from 12 teams.

Individual kudos to
scole of TSBT 5th
Megacruncher 11th
davidBAM 14th
MarkRBright 62nd
Philippe 117th
Alez 135th

Well done all
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “archive”