Status Upcoming
Project Stop@home
Issued by [H]ard|OCP
Start time 2017-10-24 00:00 UTC
End time 2017-10-31 00:00 UTC
Late entrants allowed? Yes
Number of teams participating » 10
Number of users participating 0
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Alez »

This one is a little bit tempting to, as we are 2nd in the country behind The Final Front ear, but it wouldn't take that much effort to take 1st.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#3 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Megacruncher »

T his is a new project for me. I thought I'd give it a go just for a laugh.

A few hours crunching on my laptop & the lesser Threadripper got a fairly modest quantity of credits but have launched us into the comp, which isn't being very widely contested. Already my solo efforts have got us up to 6th out of 8 teams. We aren't that far short of 3rd place which, if current levels of apathy prevail, is there to be claimed by anyone who can be arsed. Rather pleasingly I'm in 4th place for users.
The prospects for catching The Final Front Ear are probably not quite as rosy as they were 2 weeks ago - they are now over a million ahead of us & if we did catch them we would have to find 48K/day to stay ahead.
But short of that a fairly modest effort might be enough to get us an easy podium finish.
I'll give it a 40% share (WCG gets 60%) while the comp in running. Anyone else in?
Willie the Megacruncher
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by scole of TSBT »

Sorry guys. I committed myself to help some folks on the Thor challenge. I do have a a few cores I can put on this though. Actually, I think I can put a few more on it.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#5 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Dirk Broer »

Speaking of projects without badges and piss-poor credit, this is a sterling example....
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#6 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Megacruncher »

Dirk Broer wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:07 am Speaking of projects without badges and piss-poor credit, this is a sterling example....
... and it's not as if the world actually needs another prime number project. Plus it's based in Russia which always feels a bit dodgy - we might be helping them get Trump a second term! :shock:

Anyway we're fourth now. Unfortunately BOINC@Poland seem to have their eye on the bronze medal and are giving it laldy. :(
I'll not abandon it but WCG might expect 75% of my attentions.
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Alez »

We can't catch BOINC@Poland and I don't have the ability to catch Daniel in 3rd who is driving BOINC@Poland forward. It's over. I'm not racking my power bill for this. Not enough interest or enough of us on it to make it worth while. Backing off then Rosetta again for me.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#8 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by scole of TSBT »

Megacruncher wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:21 pm... and it's not as if the world actually needs another prime number project. Plus it's based in Russia which always feels a bit dodgy - we might be helping them get Trump a second term! :shock:
I still wonder if Anderson Attack was used to hack the DNC/RNC computers :lol:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Alez »

scole of TSBT wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:35 am
Megacruncher wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:21 pm... and it's not as if the world actually needs another prime number project. Plus it's based in Russia which always feels a bit dodgy - we might be helping them get Trump a second term! :shock:
I still wonder if Anderson Attack was used to hack the DNC/RNC computers :lol:
Only in Hillary's mind... or what's left of it :roll: Maybe Anderson Attack actually made up some dodgy dossiers on Trump's Moscow visits. :liar:
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#10 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by scole of TSBT »

All the national news outlets gave the dossier funding the attention they felt it deserved, basically a 3 second comment about who funded it, then they moved on to more important news like the plight of the left handed fruit fly.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#11 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Megacruncher »

Alez wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:26 am We can't catch BOINC@Poland and I don't have the ability to catch Daniel in 3rd who is driving BOINC@Poland forward. It's over. I'm not racking my power bill for this. Not enough interest or enough of us on it to make it worth while. Backing off then Rosetta again for me.
Fair enough.
I shall point my cores back towards WCG.
I suspect we've already done enough to secure a mediocre but respectable mid-table finish.
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#12 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Alez »

Doesn't seem to be any interest in comp, even [H]ard|OCP, who called it, aren't running it. I've set my systems to only run it during the night on cheaper lecky and when it's colder outside. I suspect that will probabily still be enough to finish in our current 4th unless some other team suddenly puts on a big push.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#13 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Alez »

Don't get me wrong, I intend to hold 4th until the end of the challenge and TSBT in 4th as well. I simply can't catch any of the top 3 as they can crunch more than my systems can.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#14 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Megacruncher »

More than half-way thru we are far enough ahead of BOINC@Latvia 177K to 40K that we can regard 4th as ours.
As for individual glory then top 10 will do me - hopefully I've already done enough for this.
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#15 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Alez »

Megacruncher wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:04 pm More than half-way thru we are far enough ahead of BOINC@Latvia 177K to 40K that we can regard 4th as ours.
As for individual glory then top 10 will do me - hopefully I've already done enough for this.
I think that's a fair estimate. A really poorly supported challenge. Guess Stop@Home may be stable etc. but has not much effort pushing it along. Did you see Terminators post about the upcoming WCG challenge ? Maybe we should enter if you want to push WCG as a team.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#16 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Megacruncher »

Alez wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:59 am Did you see Terminators post about the upcoming WCG challenge ? Maybe we should enter if you want to push WCG as a team.
I did not but I agree we should enter anything to do with WCG.
We are beginning to move forward but it's going to be a long hard slog.
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#17 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Alez »

TSBT finished 4th from 12 teams.

Individual kudos:
Alez 4th
Megacruncher TSBT 11th
scole of TSBT 12th
Andrew 13th

Well done all.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#18 Re: 24/10-31/10 Stop@Home Server Stress test for potential DC-Vault inclusion

Post by Megacruncher »

Oopsie. Missed top 10. But am I bothered? Not really.
Anyway let's kick some WCG bottom!
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “archive”