Just a little Formula Boinc fun for me this year in league 3

Anguilla's world position.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Just a little Formula Boinc fun for me this year in league 3

Post by Alez »

They don't use permanent testing projects. They decided that BU didn't deserve to be included. A project must have more than 1 million in credit before it is included. This year Dennis should be in it, maybe Goofygrid etc. The list will be available when next years competition is announced.
Rules are here

Since this thread got resurrected, I've moved it from TSBT team goals to the Pirates section. I will be dipping into this as the year progresses since I am crunching for Anguillan Pirates anyway.
I wish to make it perfectly clear that this is in no way a distraction from any effort TSBT make towards Formula Boinc. I am neither asking nor encouraging anyone from the team to aid me. If anyone wishes to chuck a few credits the way of the Pirates then that would of course be gratefully received, but I am not looking for, or expecting help and I am not out to win League 3 or hamper TSBT's efforts.
Alez
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#2 Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Dirk Broer »

Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#3 Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Megacruncher »

Do we even know if FB is going to continue in 2021. Does Sebastien know?
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Alez »

Dirk Broer wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:00 am Anguillan Pirates is on the verge of being transferred to league 3
That will suit me fine. Just hope I put in enough in the last few weeks to be in league 3 and not kicked out of competition.

Seems I did, currently up and running in league 3 16th place with 3 computers :o It'll never last :lol:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#5 Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Bryan »

Oh that is good news ... something to play with when you get bored :clap:
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#6 Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Bryan »

I'll run Yoyo for the Pirates for a couple of days. I'm getting close to the personal goal I've been working on.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#7 Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Bryan »

How about those Pirates ... they're taking no prisoners :roll:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Alez »

Bryan wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:39 am How about those Pirates ... they're taking no prisoners :roll:
Little bit of ODLK and ODLK1 on my laptop out here in the wastelands of Romania whilst in exile and there's a few more points. Should have a couple of points due on the utterly pointless Wanless :D
Going to move this thread over to pirates rather than in the Team Goals for TSBT since this is a bit of fun for me, not a TSBT team goal.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#9 Just a little Formula Boinc fun for me this year in league 3

Post by Alez »

Just for a bit of amusement for myself, Anguillian Pirates in FB league 3. Not really interested in winning it and back to league 2, just the occasional fun and maybe a few posts along the way.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#10 Re: Just a little Formula Boinc fun for me this year in league 3

Post by Alez »

and since Private GFN server is in it this year, might as well have a few points on that p5

Should be a few points for TSBT available on that as well.
Miklos M
Butterfly Whisperer / Milkweeder

#11 Re: Just a little Formula Boinc fun for me this year in league 3

Post by Miklos M »

Alez wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:04 pm and since Private GFN server is in it this year, might as well have a few points on that p5

Should be a few points for TSBT available on that as well.
Is that a gpu project and how are the values? I have not seen it yet. :o
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#12 Re: Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Alez »

@Miklos M CPU & GPU project just now.
GFN-1x Small Primes search is GPU only.
I've posted the details in this forum
Miklos M

#13 Re: Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Miklos M »

Thank you.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#14 Re: Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Megacruncher »

Impressive that AP is heading up League 3 by such a big margin. The numbers needed to get decent points in the smaller projects is not high at all. Not a major diversion of effort from the main goal.
Willie the Megacruncher
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#15 Re: Re: Formula Boinc

Post by Alez »

Megacruncher wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:56 pm Impressive that AP is heading up League 3 by such a big margin. The numbers needed to get decent points in the smaller projects is not high at all. Not a major diversion of effort from the main goal.
Embarrassingly easy.
The numbers are so low on some of the projects that the ease of scoring top 25 points is pathetic. I'm in 5th place scoring 10 points on Moo! Wrapper using 4 ancient ordroids !!!! That's a long term project with full GPU support !!!!!

Unfortunately it just shows a lack of interest in the competition outwith the top few teams in league 1 and a general decline in the numbers of people continuing with BOINC. I suspect lock downs are also causing more people to look at their finances as otherwise, with more time on their hands and living more of your life ' online ' you would think it would cause the opposite effect.
Don't think I'll be bothering with it for much longer.

I also note that the forum is as ' spirited ' or plain nuts as it previously was, even without the input of a certain Belgium national.

As Timbo commented on the FB forum, the number of members of teams has fallen quite badly, TSBT now has 529 members according to Bam Stats, of which only 59 are active and far less than that registered or posting on the forum.
I'm the only one at Anguillan Pirates and yet I've just overtaken BOINC@Heidelberg to take 76th place in the world, although BOINC.BE will overtake me soon. By RAC, my 3 computers that can still run, 4 ordroids and a laptop make AP 68th in the world. That is a very sad statistic.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#16 Re: Just a little Formula Boinc fun for me this year in league 3

Post by Alez »

Found this article , about motivations of cybervolunteers in an applied distributed computing enviroment. It's from way back in the day ( 2009 ) but pretty much nothing has changed in all reality. I've posted the conclusions below.
Conclusions

There is something to be said for user–friendly applications: it should be easy, even for a non–IT savvy person, to install BOINC. While BOINC runs reasonably well, it could attract more participants with technical improvements. These would include making it easier to change priorities, personalize screens, and understand the project.

Communication is critical to motivate volunteers. They get involved without financial compensation, but not for free. Instead, they want to feel recognized and acknowledged. As pointed out by several respondents, volunteers may need occasional “feel good” messages to keep from feeling that their donations are taken for granted. They want to see how much they contributed and what results were obtained thanks to their involvement. Communication with volunteers could be improved through newsletters, orientation, as well as progress and feedback reports.

It appears that volunteer computing projects ought to always include a social component. Indeed, cybervolunteers want to be connected with volunteers who are already involved, as well as potential future volunteers. It would thus be a good idea to create tools to improve communication with and among volunteers.

BOINC seems to still be a relatively closed online community. Publicity would help to attract more people to the various projects if needed. For this promotion, it appears useful to first start with ICT communities (e.g., engineering schools, and ICT industry and consultants associations) and then expand it to a wider public.

Based on our findings, we recommend BOINC projects clearly state and emphasize their cause. This will help attract volunteers.

Last but not least, it is worth mentioning that in 2007, Dr. David Anderson, creator of BOINC, launched two new software projects: Bossa (middleware for volunteer thinking), and Bolt (a framework for Web–based training and education in the context of volunteer computing and volunteer thinking) [22]. A new wave of projects for online knowledge sharing takes the idea of participative science to a higher level. As François Grey (2009) reports, a popular example is the project GalaxyZoo (http://www.galaxyzoo.org/), for which volunteers are asked to classify images of galaxies from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey as either elliptical or spiral. In a matter of months, some 100,000 volunteers classified more than one million galaxies via a simple Web interface. While only few of the respondents to our survey appeared to be involved in these new forms of online participation, the latter clearly seem to constitute a great potential for future research and online volunteering.

With this study, we have seen one kind of cybervolunteering. Many others do exist to which the question of motivation also applies. If we extrapolate our findings, we can conclude that the link between incentive, recognition and reward is of utmost importance.
I think the conclusions are also very valid whether it be people joining BOINC or continuing further and joining a BOINC team.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Pirates on Tour”