minecraft OneChunk CPU In Testing (X86_64 & ARM64)

News from the various BOINC projects, sniffed out for you by our lovable wee mutt.
Newshound
BOINC news desk
BOINC news desk

#1 minecraft OneChunk CPU In Testing (X86_64 & ARM64)

Post by Newshound »

This week marks the period where we finally begin creating tasks and testing the OneChunk CPU application in an actual BOINC environment. Once tonight and tomorrow's testing shows that we can validate these tasks, and that our work-gen / task data creation system is working as expected we shall be able to roll this out to our main Minecraft@Home server as a 'Beta App'. Over the past month since my last progress post we've had yet another set of delays. Some of this is because 'Sia' has not implemented the features we were hoping to use, and also some of our developers have been travelling in the past few weeks.

(See; https://minecraftathome.com/minecraftho ... php?id=102 )

On the bright side, we shall now be checking seeds for 11-Eye dungeons in version 1.7 and 1.8 at the same time, and our code has had some significant changes for the order of 'filtering' and how it works to find these special seeds and spawns required for the Super Speedruns / OneChunk challenges.

Shown below is a screenshot of my Raspberry Pi 4 (2.025GHz) running 4 tasks concurrently. We will be tweaking the time estimate (known config issue), but each individual task will take 4 hours (per core) on an RPi, and for example on a 5800X it takes about 1.5 hours per task per core.

For our BOINCers and those interested in running on a Raspberry Pi 4 (64bit), please note that the latest Debian Repos / Raspbian 64bit OS images have an issue with BOINC. This may appear as the BOINC client / BOINC manager saying you do not have a "GUI-RPC" permissions or password, and make the process of having the BOINC GUI working more frustrating than it should be. There's a few guides and other forum posts on this issue, but I shall probably make a quick step by step guide to ensure BOINC is operating properly *if* your 64bit ARM distribution wants to not play nice

Source: https://minecraftathome.com/minecraftho ... php?id=111
TSBT's update on all the news from the BOINC projects.

Return to “Newshound RSS feeds”