Enigma The reason why work generator is stopped

News from the various BOINC projects, sniffed out for you by our lovable wee mutt.
Newshound
BOINC news desk
BOINC news desk

#1 Enigma The reason why work generator is stopped

Post by Newshound »

I have stopped the work generator because IMO it does not make sense to continue the batch that runs with the original ("naval") dictionary set, where upgraded dictionary sets have already failed with similar number of target restarts.

IMO it's better to try with another dictionary set and tweaked app.
Both cases, however, require major upgrades on the server side - for performance reasons, I have removed some of the functionalities it originally had and now I have to add them back. It's going to take 2-4 weeks because my job leaves me very little spare time. I'm also going to clean the database from any leftovers, there are still over 20k workunits in the db, probably most of them are broken WUs that accumulated over time (at some point there was a sudden failure of SSD drive where the database filesystem is located, it was replaced by RAID5 setup with the data restored from backup, but ~4500 workunits/results ended in messed up state). I'll wait a few days and then all the orphaned workunits / results will be removed.

Also, all future (larger) batches will be split into a group of smaller sub-batches. While the batch is running, the server requires access to all the results that were returned and if the database gets to big, performance suffers. It also makes creating 'offline' backups harder due to the amount of data in the db dump.

In a few days I'll post downloadable results from the previous batches in case anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.enigmaathome.net/forum_thread.php?id=835
TSBT's update on all the news from the BOINC projects.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#2 Re: Enigma The reason why work generator is stopped

Post by Dirk Broer »

Ha ha! Gridcoin complaining on http://www.enigmaathome.net/forum_thread.php?id=835
and than those answers....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: Enigma The reason why work generator is stopped

Post by Alez »

Looks like TSBT replied too :o :D

http://www.enigmaathome.net/forum_threa ... =4452#4452

You can put them Gridcoins in a place where the sun doesn't shine, FWIWTM

Never have I seen a truer word, however much understated, spoken on these or any other boinc project board within my short existence

The best news I heard yet. +1

Gridcoin does love it's votes, so we at TSBT had a wee vote to, the result being that we are sick of GC pointless 3 day challenges posted with no regard for other teams and will no longer be taking part. We crunch for projects, not for 'coin'

Might be above my pay grade within the team, but I am sick to my back teeth of their bull crap.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Enigma The reason why work generator is stopped

Post by Alez »

and then this ... ouch

http://www.enigmaathome.net/forum_threa ... =4453#4453

This would had been nice to had bene informed of 3 weeks ago , some volunteers choose to get paid digital assets for their resources crunching your project , unfortunately due to the lack of work units and non existent communication the Gridcoin community already voted the project out of our Whitelist. Maybe this is something you could re-apply and re-establish with the Gridcoin community after you get things figured out.

An alternative version is that the rest of the BOINC community thinks you can go fly a kite. Try not to let the door hit you on the way out and do try and learn how to spell.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#5 Re: Enigma The reason why work generator is stopped

Post by Bryan »

Nicely done Alez, but you were the 2nd one to tell them not to let the door hit em in the ass as they left :lol: Maybe they'll get the message - nah they are whores and don't care. IMnotsoHO
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#6 Re: Enigma The reason why work generator is stopped

Post by Silver »

Well that escalated quickly :shock:
Who'd have thought a project admin would get a hard time for posting an update about what's happening, or not happening as the case may be.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Newshound RSS feeds”