Sourcefinder SoFiA Production Update 6

News from the various BOINC projects, sniffed out for you by our lovable wee mutt.
Newshound
BOINC news desk
BOINC news desk

#1 Sourcefinder SoFiA Production Update 6

Post by Newshound »

Hello everyone,

For this week, I'm planning on running a small set of 100MB workunits through SoFiA, just as a general test. There's only 705 workunits, but each workunit should take substantially longer to process than the ones we've been doing so far. For these test workunits, we're running all ~400 parameters on each workunit, rather than splitting the parameters up in to different runs. This is only going to be the case for the test workunits, the production ones will use split parameter sets just like the 10MB workunits did.

The SoFiA VM has been updated to use the latest version of SoFiA. Hopefully, this will help increase general stability and decrease some of the problems we've been encountering.

Each VM instance will now use up to 3072MB of memory, a huge increase from the previous 256MB. I'm sorry about this, but SoFiA doesn't seem to have particularly optimal memory usage, and my local tests were running into out of memory problems at anything less than 3GB of memory. You may want to limit the number of SoFiA instances your machines run if you begin to get performance issues.
I've also reported the rather large memory usage to the developers, as it may be something they can improve on in future versions.

I'll be trying to visit the forums daily to keep an eye on any issues that might crop up, so hopefully I'll be able to resolve small problems in my spare time instead of having to postpone everything until next Wednesday.

I hope this goes smoothly.

Sam.

SOURCE https://sourcefinder.theskynet.org/duch ... php?id=264
TSBT's update on all the news from the BOINC projects.

Return to “Newshound RSS feeds”