Sourcefinder SoFiA Update 8 and some changes at ICRAR

News from the various BOINC projects, sniffed out for you by our lovable wee mutt.
Newshound
BOINC news desk
BOINC news desk

#1 Sourcefinder SoFiA Update 8 and some changes at ICRAR

Post by Newshound »

Hi everyone,

There's been a lot going on over the last week at ICRAR, and I've got a lot to update you on.

I was originally contracted by Outreach to work more or less exclusively on theSkyNet. As of March this year, my contract is being moved over to DIA (Data intensive astronomy), who want to move me to work on other projects.

I met with the head of DIA last week and it's been decided that after the 100MB workunits are all done done, I'll need to wrap up Sourcefinder and organise all of the data we've crunched so far in preparation for analysis.

So bearing this in mind, my new plan is to continue running 100MB workunits through the sofiabeta app, as everything is more less working there as it is. sofiabeta will remain a beta app so people can opt in / opt out as they please, as the 100MB workunits are significantly more intensive than the 10MB workunits,

Then, once we've completed the 100MB workunits, I'll spend some time working on a public contributers page that'll list everyone who has contributed to Sourcefinder. I'll also try and ensure that a link to this page is present in the final paper analysing the results. Last I checked they were generally against the idea of mentioning a list of contributers in the paper, but they thought that providing a link to a web page that listed the contributers would be fine.

As for the ASKAP data that was promised to me months ago, I'm still not sure of its current status. Once the 100MB workunits are done, I'll see if I can chase it down and get an update as to whether they want us to process it or not.

I also wanted to write a results viewer that would allow users to search for sources they've found and view them, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to do that anymore if I'm being moved to other projects. Sorry about that.

As for SoFiA, I'm looking at increasing the rsc_memory_bound for the 100MB workunits to be 4GB, meaning computers with less than 4GB of memory wont be given these workunits. Thanks to LumenDan for bringing this up.

I'll keep pushing out at least one set of workunits per week, but depending on the disk space of the server, I might be able to push out two. We'll see.

If there are any clarifications anyone needs, feel free to ask. I'll try to answer anything.

Regards,

Sam

SOURCE https://sourcefinder.theskynet.org/duch ... php?id=273
TSBT's update on all the news from the BOINC projects.

Return to “Newshound RSS feeds”