WCG Captain's messages

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 WCG Captain's messages

Post by davidbam »

... an occasional series

Dear davidBAM,

The following is a message from the team captain of your World Community Grid team.

With the final Formula Boinc (FB) sprint finished for the season, we are now concentrating on getting TSBT as far up the WCG team rankings as possible. I am VERY happy to report that yesterday (28th) was a momentous day in that we reached 100th place and now feature on the first page https://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/team/list/

This was achieved earlier than anticipated thanks to some magnificent contributions from our friends at XtremeSystems. Thanks so much guys. Our job now is to sustain these gains and creep up page 1 using our own resources. That old adage "every mickle maks a muckle" truly applies so please do continue (or resume) your own contributions as best you can

Please let's try to maximise our output regardless of how much hardware you've got. I've even morphed into Santa Claus and I come bearing gifts - a new purpose-written webpage will give you per machine / per hours performance stats for the points you are earning on WCG. It is free to use for TSBT members as well as the many friends who drop in with regular contributions to the team. See this https://tsbt.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=210&t=10469 to find out more & how to get started with the Performance Monitor. (It needs no extra software on your machine incidentally - it only uses your browser).

C'mon Ye Elves ... ... TSBT has also issued a Christmas challenge, see https://tsbt.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=10465 for full details. Commences on Christmas Eve when all the elves have completed their busiest spell. That gives you 3 weeks or so to get used to the Performance Monitor & have your machine(s) running like thoroughbreds.

Onwards and upwards !!

Your captain,

davidBAM
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: WCG Captain's messages

Post by Alez »

The previous message from your captain.
Hello Team

We will all have different reasons for crunching on the World Community Grid. I wanted to assist with Cancer and other Medical Research and figured that the higher electricity bills from crunching on WCG were a better way than giving cash to a charity. Keeps me warm in winter too!

So, I joined The Scottish Boinc Team as a complete beginner, joined the forum on https://tsbt.co.uk/forum & got lots of help from folks on there. Clearly I made enough noise to get noticed and have subsequently been appointed Team Captain for WCG. Yikes!

I am hoping that some of you who haven't crunched for a while will consider getting back into it; you might be surprised just how much difference regular contributions can make to the Team totals - particularly as we will be making a big effort in Formula Boinc League 2 next year.

World Community Grid may not be the glitziest project out there and they don't yet offer GPU work units with huge earnings but Boinc credits aren't my main goal. Personally, I like knowing that my own contributions help Cancer Research to help our dear dear friend Elaine, others who are still fighting and still others who will have to fight in future.

Regards davidBAM
or just David to my friends

Your captain,

davidBAM

Your Team's Contribution

Name: The Scottish Boinc Team
Run Time: 1,069 years
Results: 3,182,356
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: WCG Captain's messages

Post by Alez »

a message from your captain
The following is a message from the team captain of your World Community Grid team.

World Community Grid has been chosen as the project for the second Formula Boinc sprint.

Any contributions of WCG credits, small or large, will all be of great value.

If you've not been on the TSBT forums recently, please pop in for a look as we've smartened up many of the project forums to help folks find their way around.

Keep crunching !!!

Your captain,

davidBAM

Your Team's Contribution

Name: The Scottish Boinc Team
Run Time: 1,391 years
Results: 4,470,832
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: WCG Captain's messages

Post by davidbam »

TSBT is going to enter the Boinc Pentathlon this year. It runs from 05 May 2019 00:00 UTC until to 19 May 2019 00:00 UTC.

One of the WCG sub-projects will be chosen for the 14-day marathon discipline so our totals are gonna soar. We get to suggest other projects for 4 more challenges.

If you would like to crunch for TSBT during the Pentathlon, PM either Scole or davidBAM and provide your email address. We'll set you up on the Trello board we're using for strategy discussion during the Pentathlon. Hope so see all our members there. This link might do it for you too https://trello.com/invite/b/xVgEBBK1/28 ... -team-tsbt (you'll need to copy/paste it as it won't be clickable on the email)

Come join the fun!

PS : a sizeable number of Seti-USA members are joining us for the Pentathlon so our team scores are going to benefit hugely from their crunching power. WCG will run for a full 14 days + bunkering so our world standing should rise a few places (currently a heady #85).

PPS: regardless of your own crunching capabilities, we will learn a lot about maximising output from the Seti-USA guys

Your captain,

davidBAM
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”