Stupid Acts

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Cruncher Pete
Boinc Colonel
Boinc Colonel

#1 Stupid Acts

Post by Cruncher Pete » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 am

I am ashamed to tell you how stupid I am. I just commissioned a New Threadripper 32 thread rig and in celebration I cracked a stubbie and put it next to my prime 64 thread one. On this test bench of mine I am extremely short of space and that was the only space I could find to rest it between sips. Murphy struck again with his laws and I knocked it over and spilling the contents on the Motherboard. These machines on my workbench are running bare with no cases for easy maintenance. Needless to say I lost 64 threads for although I switched the rig off immediately, I am not as quick as an Electronic machine. I heard others spilling coffee on their Keyboard and I thought that it is stupid to have liquid around electronics, now I am doing the same. This sets me back a Month to replace the rig. :oops: :x

davidBAM
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Stupid Acts

Post by davidBAM » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:48 am

OH NO !!!

Bummer doesn't exactly do it justice but I will avoid stronger expletives for the children's sake.

Looking for vaguely optimistic angles, I wonder if the CPU and/or RAM might still be okay ????
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t

Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#3 Re: Stupid Acts

Post by Megacruncher » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Bummer indeed.
But as David indicates the chances are that the MoBo fried before the CPU. Your Threadripper may well live to rip threads another day.
I confess I’ve buggered a couple of keyboards with spilt drinks and knackered a top end laptop with a gin & tonic. Basically you need to build a separate booze shelf somewhere within easy reach but not directly beside or above anything expensive & vulnerable.
Willie the Megacruncher

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: Stupid Acts

Post by Alez » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:34 am

I work on the basis that booze and mobo's do not meet. I stick to a keyboard and mouse within the kill zone and nothing else or I have no idea how many systems I would have killed by now..... You're not the first, nor will you be the last .
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....

Cruncher Pete
Boinc Colonel
Boinc Colonel

#5 Re: Stupid Acts

Post by Cruncher Pete » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:27 am

The last bit of your sentence encourages me for knowing that there are other stupid people like me. This has been a very costly lesson for I beleive that both the MB and the CPU is dead. I swapped MB's and later CPU's and both systems is dead. Returned 1950CPU to its original board and it is crunching away. It looks like I lost the 2950X CPU as well as the MB, but I will not throw it away until I get a brand new MB. BTW. My Office as I call it , controlling everything is only a matter of a few feet from the Work Bench. I take the hint not to have any boose there, however, since I am not a Teetotaler I think I am safe continuing my old habits of enjoyment at my office for If I spill anything it will only be on a table for the keyboard is underneath and not normally open to spills.

davidBAM
General Bitchin'

#6 Re: Stupid Acts

Post by davidBAM » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 am

Oh sh1t - looks like one of the more-expensive beers :( :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”