Ok hardware update time... am I the first to get one?

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
rowpie
Peon

#1 Ok hardware update time... am I the first to get one?

Post by rowpie »

In the last couple of month due to a couple of factors and several major hardware failures (ie my main gaming rig is toast after a week of solid warcraft) my sole cruncher is now in fact my brothers core 2 duo which i built for him a couple of months ago...

We'll I've basically got pissed off trying to fix my old pc and decided I was building myself a new gaming rig which with any luck should be up and running monday or tuesday.

I won't bore with all the details but the crunching related ones should suffice.

Intel Core i7 920
6GB 1600 mhz DDR3 Ram
GTX 260

I will be getting a second 260 asap (i just got a christmas bonus which could be useful)
The target overclock on the cpu is 4ghz per core. (stock is 2.66 ghz)
With hyperthreading on the new cpu they will show as 8 different cores in Vista 64 so i'm hoping for some decent figures (however pure gaming and multitasking was the actual reason for the build)

Obviously the GPU when not gaming will be on gpu grid however what should I stick on the processor cores?

Can't wait to build this beast!!!!!!

p.s sorry for not being around. hard to be motivated when your not contributing much.
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Will be very interesting to see what this chucks out. 8)
Ben

#3 Re: Ok hardware update time... am I the first to get one?

Post by Ben »

rowpie wrote:In the last couple of month due to a couple of factors and several major hardware failures (ie my main gaming rig is toast after a week of solid warcraft) my sole cruncher is now in fact my brothers core 2 duo which i built for him a couple of months ago...

We'll I've basically got pissed off trying to fix my old pc and decided I was building myself a new gaming rig which with any luck should be up and running monday or tuesday.

I won't bore with all the details but the crunching related ones should suffice.

Intel Core i7 920
6GB 1600 mhz DDR3 Ram
GTX 260

I will be getting a second 260 asap (i just got a christmas bonus which could be useful)
The target overclock on the cpu is 4ghz per core. (stock is 2.66 ghz)
With hyperthreading on the new cpu they will show as 8 different cores in Vista 64 so i'm hoping for some decent figures (however pure gaming and multitasking was the actual reason for the build)

Obviously the GPU when not gaming will be on gpu grid however what should I stick on the processor cores?

p.s sorry for not being around. hard to be motivated when your not contributing much.

Those new Corei7's are a beast! I looked up some reviews on them and even the cheapest ( :shock: ) can outstrip the best quad extreme. That coupled with 1666Mhz Ram... + 8 cores as it were will be the ultimate power machine (for 6 months) :wink:

Only problem is having to also buy the motherboards which are £200 a pop at the moment also :(
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#4 Re: Ok hardware update time... am I the first to get one?

Post by Megacruncher »

]
Don't wait then. :D Once you've got it running with 2 260s and 4 fast hyperthreaded cores I reckon that you could be getting your RAC up to 20K. 8)
Edit: You asked what you should run on your CPU cores. Optimised Seti would be best for credit. WCG would be best for team goals.
Willie the Megacruncher
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

well just got the call from the shop that the cpu is finally in. will be picking it up and the rest of the parts from there after work and should start building it tonight. also ordered the second graphics card.

god damn it im like a kid in a toy shop... i can't wait!
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

ok the machine is up and running!

forgive me for not overclocking for now but there is a lot to learn in corei7 bios and im just glad it booted first time.

wil probably put all 8 threads on seti (optomised of course) and see how it compares to some other systems before bringing the gpu's into the equation.

Of quick not... when i went to the boinc site to download the client the one it offered me was only the 32 bit version. i had to click show all versions to get the correct x64 bit. I wonder how many out there are running the wrong version?
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I'm looking out for a massive credit surge for Seti. 8)
Willie the Megacruncher
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

well they wouldnt give me enough work so its on half seti half wcg untill seti will supply it ok. completing a wu in about 60m- 70 mins per thread. just really weird seeing 8 running at once lol
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

Right the results of my first goes at overclocking this.

Was 2.66 Ghz per core. now 3.6 Ghz. :D

It is taking me a while to get used to the new options but im gettign there.

Seems stable enough over the last half hour but i'll properly stress test it tomorrow at some point. Unfortunatly my case is better at looking good than cooling (its a lian li v series) so even if my cpu could hit 4ghz i doubt i'd be able to cool it well enough.

the seti run times have already started to drop. will report back on them tomorrow as well.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

3.6GHz is good enough for a first increment. 8)
Willie the Megacruncher
steve

Post by steve »

Consider some serious cooling if you intend running 24/7.. If gpu's are close toghether then add extra 120mm fans in front of the gpu's and leave the side of the case off
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

side of the case is off lol.

right thought i had it stable at 3.8 but it bsod during the night so i've put it back to 3.7 for now. 4ghz if possible on my chip ( as after all the original chip is where you luck matter more) would involve voltages im not confident using or cooling on such a new platform.

for seti wu's are all completing in less than an hour a piece (although the odd one is at 65 mins)

I'll probably have another go at 3.8 once i learn some of the finer tuing details in the bois and we'll see how it goes. still a 1ghz overclock per core is still a decent gain for free (well apart from the £50 heatsink it took to cool the damn thing)
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

spent today tweeking and stressing and reading more and tweeking and now rock solid stable at 3.8. now to try for more lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”