Interweb down!

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#1 Interweb down!

Post by Megacruncher »

Arse, arse & thrice arse!

My broadband connection & landline have both gone down. I don't much miss the landline (far too many cell phones) but I feel bereft without the broadband. At least my mobile broadband dongle means that I've got some connectivity hence this post.

I've yet to work out a way of getting the whole Lan onto it so I've got major probs with getting fresh work for my GPUs or returning my completed GPU workunits before their return by date. At least it means that all my CPU cores will be busy with CPDN so the stats for that will surge just as soon as I get back online.

A consolation is that Steve's contribution @ present is so stellar that the loss of my humble 50K per day will hardly stall our progress.

I'll keep fiddling with my dongle to see what happens. :shock:
Willie the Megacruncher
steve

Post by steve »

You could Hijack a local wlan thats unprotected???????? :twisted: :twisted:

If you set up the computer with the dongle to share internet connection with others and disconect the router this should work
rowpie
Peon

Post by rowpie »

ICS can be a bugger to get working but if your willing to go round all the comptuers and re-run network setup then it can be done. i used my mobile as my main net connection for a week while my isp were working out wtf was wrong. Just set my machine as main and all others on the network connected through it.
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

or you can always get a Router that supports 3G like

Draytek
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I used to rely on ICS and I've got it working with a lot of embuggeration along the way. One of the main problems is that the dongle doesn't get a good enough signal everywhere in the house so I've had to do a lot of shifting around.

I've already bought one new router in the last month & I don't plan on another ! although that looked like an interesting device.
Willie the Megacruncher
steve

Post by steve »

Try one of these ideal for hijacking the neighbours open wifi

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... ationKey=0
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

9 days no landline no broadband!!!
Conclusion TalkTalk are Sh*te & Should be avoided!

Please warn all your friends.
Willie the Megacruncher
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

10 days on I've finally got my wired connection to the world back!

I've got to say that the whole sorry saga of trying to elicit anything more than a passing interest from TalkTalk - they did "escalate your case to priority" when after a week offline we threatened to leave them - leaves me disenchanted with Talktalk and we will ditch them as soon as we can make alternative arrangements.

Still, it's good to be properly online again.
Willie the Megacruncher
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Glad you're back up and running. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays up...
Image Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”