ISP Rant

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#1 ISP Rant

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Imagine if your ISP reset you modem back to factory remotley. Added a login ID and password to the router configuation page and disabled the DHCP server having changed the DNS servers IP addresses.

Fantastic that has been many hours of fun, especially as I was playing around with network connection between the switches when they did it.

God save ISPs (because if I get my hands on them God is their only hope).
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Eeek! :shock:

I would have a good long look at their T's & C's. They shouldn't be able to do that - it's a huge security issue if they have admin access to your router.

Suggest you reset the router admin access, check NAT and firewall are on and enable MAC filtering too. Better still, add a proxy between you network switch and the router - at least that way, if they do it again, they don't have (easy) access to your internal network.

By the way, would this ISP start with B and end with T .... just wondering 'cos I came across a rather odd configuration in a modem router the other day that I could almost 100% guarantee wasn't put there by the person I was talking to.
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

50% correct it was B and E

I have an internal 3COM Firewall inside the ISP provided router.

You can pretty much guarantee that an ISP can reflash your router, install new templates and from there fiddle with the admin rights. It's their router in the T & C's so I'm guessing there allowed to do to it as they will.

Hence my Firewall being between them and me :)
steve

Post by steve »

same problem here My ISP are always upgrading the firmware in the router and reseting to factory default .... I use a vigor dual wlan router to switch between Broadband conections

Name and shame SKY BROADBAND Avoid unless you enjoy resetting your router/modem
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Yikes, all this makes me glad that I've never bothered to use the modems/routers that my various ISPs have sent me over the years. Or could they hijack my own gear as well?

It's probably the government putting them up to it.
Willie the Megacruncher
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

.... or the aliens. More SETI crunching needed ....
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Very late to the discussion, but I've never had an issue with this. That said, I've always declined offered routers and used my own...

I guess Telewest (or Virgin as they now are) can get to the modem - but no further! :)
Image Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”