What happens when the machine breaks down ?

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

#1 What happens when the machine breaks down ?

Post by aardvark »

My crunching is on hold for a few days :(

The fan in my watercooling system broke down. Well to be honest, not quite, I had a hand in it ! I thought I would be "clever" and reverse the flow of the fan, without powering down first. To see if I could obtain the "Holy Grail" of a few degrees C lower Temperatures.

Screwdriver slips! (honest Guv', not my fault), one blade heads towards the curtains, narrowly missing number two cat on its journey (luckily he had already been "snipped").
So I thought I would be "clever" again (twice in one day EH!, not bad I thought) and leave the now juddering fan running. It still worked almost as good (didn't it ?).

During the rest of the evening the fan went through several spasms, sounding like the washing machine with last weeks loose change as a load.
Finally, when I was having a nap, it decided to give up the ghost.

WELL!, I thought when I woke up. That's good, the fan has settled down now, In fact it's almost perfectly quiet. 'OH SH*T', this is when I discovered that adrenalin is actually Brown in colour (once again, as with global warming, science is proved wrong!).

So just to "Touch base", I have emptied the piggy bank (like Gordon Brown & Co) and have purchased a "second user" Zalman Resonator off eeBay. Which I hope to get up and running in a couple of days; and with my new super cooled procesor maybe a few more MHz. As a contingency, should this get a bit warm I could get one of the cast to assist by peeing on the cooling tower (Buy shares in air fresheners folks). As there are four, I should be assured ample supply, should the recession continue, and this rare commodity rocket in price !

But if there's a silver lining to all this, it must be the proof of the old saying "If it works don't fix it".

I should have listened to the toaster :shock:
steve

Post by steve »

And the Moral of this story is.........

If it aint broken don't fix it!!!!!!!
Anchula-Mark

Post by Anchula-Mark »

so that's what thespians get up to in their spare time :!:

"I could get one of the cast to assist by peeing on the cooling tower "
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Yeah I saw that but as i know exactly what he means
Warning - Do not under any circumstances use cat urine as a cooling medium, I have a couple of ex-PC's that can testify to the corrosiveness and conductivity of this substance :lol: :lol: :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”