General BOINC GDPR consent

General News and Banter all users and guests can see this forum.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Alez »

From BOINCstats https://boincstats.com/en/forum/5/11967,1

Yip, GDPR consent issues so no stats for some projects like WCG. I believe Einstein also and probably others.

Big discussions going on at BOINC git hub.
One thread here, there are lots of others . https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues/2413

Seems among other things, there will be a new version of BOINC that people will be required to use. I guess all old versions will cease to connect to a lot of projects. This could be bad for those of us that use older version of droid BOINC to be able to use boinctasks to manage all our devices.
There are also issues with boinc wide teams and they may go.
I suspect this will hit a lot of start and forget crunchers.
How many BOINC projects will simply close rather than update to new consent requirements and new BOINC backend upgrades.
I'm sure there will be more changes as the regulations are firmed up by court challenges.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Alez »

Gridcoin have de-listed WCG as there is no current stat export until GDPR issues are fixed. I guess coin beats science .....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#3 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:02 pm Gridcoin have de-listed WCG as there is no current stat export until GDPR issues are fixed. I guess coin beats science .....
Bok (FreeDC) hopes to be able to restore the overall credits in due course, but is still unsure about badges and sub-projects reporting in the future...
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Alez »

It's a bloody nightmare if any forum, project etc is going to comply completely.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#5 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Dirk Broer »

Alez wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 amIt's a bloody nightmare if any forum, project etc is going to comply completely.
But what are they complying to? What harm can be done when the whole world can see how many WCG points I have and which badges?

To quote an old Dutch saying "they throw away the child along with the bath tub water"
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#6 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Alez »

Dirk Broer wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 am
Alez wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 amIt's a bloody nightmare if any forum, project etc is going to comply completely.
But what are they complying to? What harm can be done when the whole world can see how many WCG points I have and which badges?

To quote an old Dutch saying "they throw away the child along with the bath tub water"
It's very much overkill by the EU. As I've said before, anyone giving all their information etc to a 'free' app like Facebook and then being shocked that Facebook sell your information is simply naive. Where do they think FB make a profit on a 'free' service ? Have they never made the link between posting about your lawnmower being broken and getting ads about lawnmowers ?

WCG is unique in BOINC as it's not a typical BOINC project. WCG is run by IBM and obviously IBM are taking GDPR very seriously. The other big projects connected to universities etc. that could be targeted are also taking it serious ie. Einstein, Climate etc.

At the moment it may be necessary that we will have to consent on every single project to allow your stats to be exported, your team details, country etc. Trying to follow what changes will be made to BOINC manager front end and backend server code.

It's also highly likely that stat sites like FreeDC and BAMstats will have to agree to legal terms with WCG before they can import any stats from WCG and will have to satisfy WCG that they are GDPR compliant with respect to data protection, deleting users accounts on BAM etc if they are requested to be deleted on WCG.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#7 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Alez »

As far as I understand it, the issue is not whether you can be identified by the data that is held about you. The issue is that GDPR makes all that data, even including your user name on here, yours. You now have ownership of all data pertaining to you and so you have the right to see what data is held, determine how that data is used and who it is shared with and be completely deleted if you request. You must give consent for a company to hold , share and use data you provide.
I'm guessing that WCG is being required by the IBM lawyers to fully comply as if they were IBM. The GDPR rules are typical EU overkill, but until they are applied and some court rulings are made by the first test cases no-one knows how strictly they will be applied.
I guess the future of BOINC will depend on how it is applied in the new account manager. If it makes it a big hassle to run or join a project, join a team or effectively kills the stats sites, then I fear that future will be bleak.
Only time will tell.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Alez »

Oh, and wait until the new section 11 and section 13 rules hit the EU internet. Seriously thinking of moving the forum over to the USA.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#9 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Dirk Broer »

You now have ownership of all data pertaining to you and so you have the right to see what data is held, determine how that data is used and who it is shared with and be completely deleted if you request. You must give consent for a company to hold , share and use data you provide.
Okay, so I registered at both BOINCStats and FreeDC and I want my data displayed there. Can I now sue IBM?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#10 Re: General BOINC GDPR consent

Post by Alez »

Dirk Broer wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:35 am You now have ownership of all data pertaining to you and so you have the right to see what data is held, determine how that data is used and who it is shared with and be completely deleted if you request. You must give consent for a company to hold , share and use data you provide.
Okay, so I registered at both BOINCStats and FreeDC and I want my data displayed there. Can I now sue IBM?
but there in lies the whole can of worms, IBM provide the data to BOINCstats and FreeDC, if you request that IBM delete all data they hold on you, they are held responsible if BOINCstats and FreeDC don't then delete the data you requested IBM to delete so IBM would now be open to huge fines from the EU despite them deleting your data .... and so we go round in circles.

It's a crazy system that doesn't match real life. In reality companies like Facebook etc. don't provide a 'free' service. You pay for that service via your data. Data is the currency but now according to the EU you can now remove all the data you have provided as a payment and they must then subsequently ensure that everyone they provided the data to must also comply with your change of mind.

Already reputable news outlets etc are blocking EU ip's so that they don't have to comply with this madness.
See this article in NY Times.

Try going and reading the Chicago Tribune. We can expect to see this more often I suspect -
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
And it's not just a few newspapers either, lots of e-sites are taking the nuclear option of blocking rather than comply with the laws in the EU

The new copyright laws will make it even worse. MEP's have just managed to force the EU to at least debate the new law in public, it was to be decided in private. Effectively using copyright Memes will be policed / deleted should they use a copyrighted image and links to copyrighted material will now become illegal unless you pay..... and internet providers will have to police it .... so that's total net censorship.

Soon , me posting this Link to and article about it on CNBC could be illegal.
Under the new directive on copyright, online content platforms like Google and Facebook would be required to use filtering systems that block content — such as images and videos — that infringes the rights-holder’s copyright.

In addition, “new media” publishers would essentially be required to pay news organizations for the rights to share articles and other copyright-protected content, something critics claim is an effective “tax” on links.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General”