AIO coolers

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#1 AIO coolers

Post by Dirk Broer »

All-In-One (AIO) watercoolers have been made popular by the famous 'Corsair' brand, but how do these coolers compare themselves to each other?

Cranked up to 2300 rpm the H115i shows its might:

An in-depth review of the H115 models, with an emphasis on the H115i Platinum (there appear to be three, The H115i, the original, is an older Asetek design. The newer H115i Pro uses the Asetek Gen6 pump. The H115i Platinum uses CoolIT’s solution.)
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#2 Re: AIO coolers

Post by Dirk Broer »

There are some common pitfalls when judging CPU coolers. One of them is 'Bigger is Better'.
While generally true, it is not the mere size. Not every 140 mm fan is better than the average 120 mm fan, but on average a 140 mm fan will generate more airflow at the same RPM, and at less noise.
And it is not the mere size of the cooling block, but the amount of square inch aluminium that is exposed to that airflow.
The theoretically best air cooler has, IMHO, two cooling blocks and three 140 mm fans (three blocks and four fans would be even better, but would result is one massive cooler that won't fit any case) and would preferably be build with Noctua-quality cooling blocks and fans, like this

With AIO cooling there are more things to consider. The bit about the fans remains the same, but the cooling block gets replaced with the radiator and an extra variable comes in with the pump.
Those single radiator Corsair AIOs show that the 'el cheapo' H45 outperforms its more expensive brothers and sisters (or are they mere cousins? Who really makes the H45? Not Asetek or Coolit...).
How is that possible?
The H45 has a fan that runs at a much higher speed than most other Corsair AIOs, resulting in more CFM airflow and a higher static pressure. Its pump is much bigger -sitting on the radiator instead of the heatplate, as with the Coolit and Asetek produced AIOs- and runs the water faster through the radiator. That radiator might have the same size in square inches, but in cubic inches it is much bigger. And we haven't yet started about yet another possible parameter: FPI, or fins per inch -both factors together read: how much water is in the radiator at a given time, and how much is it stretched out in your radiator so the fan can do its job blowing cool air over hot piping? The H45 wins here too.

So, especially for its money, the H45 is my favorite Corsair single radiator AIO cooler. I might want to cool a Raspberry Pi 4 with it, in an attempt to reach the 2500 MHz. Sadly, it lacks fittings for the Pi but it will do good as well on any 35 or 65 Watt TDP Ryzen CPU and/or APU and might even still do a good job on 95 and 105 Watt Ryzens.
No Threadripping performance though, and a bit noisy -more noisy (according to actual users) than Corsair will report themselves.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: AIO coolers

Post by Alez »

The multiple fan coolers look awesome, but as I have a coal fire and the dust is lethal for blocking coolers, the multiple fans would be a nightmare. The distance between cooling fins for clearing this crap is critical for my deployment.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#4 Re: AIO coolers

Post by Dirk Broer »

Single radiator AIO coolers kind of defy the reason why you take watercooling: to enlarge the cooling surface. There are plenty of 120 or 140 mm air coolers, some even with a double cool block and two (or three fans).
The next logical step is to enlarge the radiator, so more water can be cooled at a given time. On average the dual radiator AIO is better than the average single radiator AIO, but things can vary due to before mentioned set of variables: fan efficiency (more RPM/CFM is better), pump efficiency (faster is better) and radiator efficiency (how much water is dispersed over how much centimeter tubing? The more, the merrier). Apart from the radiator improvements all others give you more noise as an added bonus.

King of the Corsair dual radiator portfolio seems to be the H115i, but it comes in three flavours. The H115i (the original, let's call it the H115iV1) is an older Asetek design. The newer H115i Pro (or H115iV2) uses the Asetek Gen6 pump. The H115i Platinum uses CoolIT’s solution. The Pro is my personal favorite, because it has no RGB.

Even better(?) than the dual radiator solution is the triple radiator, if the previous logic still applies. All AIO models are stuck at 3x 120mm it seems, in the case of Corair the H150i Pro.
This table is quite revealing as to the added value of AIO coolers:

In a next post I will show you the holy grail of water cooling: the DYI, Do-It-Yourself. Buy you own pump, tubing, connectors, radiators, fans, etc. And bring money, lots of it.

For Alez I have a solution: more computers, so you can do away with the coal fire. Wasn't it 'Tech Tips' Linus that once showed an AMD system connected to a home radiator?
Linus on other radiators
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#5 Re: AIO coolers

Post by Dirk Broer »

I was researching the subject and came across this essay on DIY Open Loop cooling:
Can't do it better myself...
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#6 Re: AIO coolers

Post by SolidAir79 »

Great posts and love gamers nexus for info!
On my second AIO first was NZXT kraken x61 now have Evga clc280 both Push pull config, not got the cash for the all out diy open loop yet !
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#7 Re: AIO coolers

Post by Dirk Broer »

Only sensible thing to do in Australia (and anywhere ambient goes over 30°C) is to have an hefty air-conditioner -solar-powered- to lower the ambient temps, at least in the computer room.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#8 Re: AIO coolers

Post by davidbam »

... or buy one of these great (Dutch) inventions https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsi ... lanet/amp/
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#9 Re: AIO coolers

Post by Dirk Broer »

davidBAM wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:03 am ... or buy one of these great (Dutch) inventions https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsi ... lanet/amp/
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. Next this team will come up with is a perpetuum mobile that gives more than 100% return in energy, mark my words...
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#10 Re: AIO coolers

Post by davidbam »

The Stirling engine (invented by a Scottish minister) has stood the test of time & that probably seemed too good to be true at the time :D
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#11 Re: AIO coolers

Post by SolidAir79 »

How about this might save on the leccy bill https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists ... n-humidity
SolidAir79
San Dan
San Dan

#12 Re: AIO coolers

Post by SolidAir79 »

As for an AIO I'm fine as long as the missus doesn't turn the thermostat up too high 😁
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#13 Re: AIO coolers

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I did full custom loop once and the water blocks were made of pure silver and hand made in Oz. I foolishly threw them out last year.

Done AIO and it's a okaaay.

Tried the Noctua NH-12 on the i7-920 back in 2009 and now it's Noctua all the way on air since. Noctua even just sent me free upgrade mounting kits for the AM4 sockets even though I bought the coolers 11 years ago.

That said I did just go for their industrial fan (NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM ) as an exhaust on the 3900x due to crap case airflow and heat soak without it. £20 was better than the cost of a new case however but it is noticeably nosier if the ambient goes up too much.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#14 Re: AIO coolers

Post by davidbam »

Symptoms: 2990wx experiencing thermal throttling. When I went to apply fresh paste, I noted that radiator was rather cool but pump head was very hot. Failed pump??
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”