Power Supplies

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#1 Power Supplies

Post by davidbam »

Having lost two ATX PSUs within about 10 days, I am realising the wisdom the old adage ... "To buy cheap is to buy dear"

These were (ostensibly) 750W Ace PSU but both were fried in pretty lo-spec systems

I already have a couple of Kolink modular ones and really like the fact that most of the cables can be left off. What do you all tend to use on your builds ?
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#2 Re: Power Supplies

Post by davidbam »

Hell yes - losing three big Corsairs is really tough luck
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: Power Supplies

Post by Alez »

Must admit I tend to use Corsair to. They will die, they just take longer. Welcome to the world of running 100% 24/7.
BOINC kills PSU's and HDD's. I tend to buy cheap 2nd hand 80GB drives to run BOINC seperately on and just run until destruction before replacement.
You'll also get quite familiar with buying replacement GPU fans from China on eBay and replacing. I've found Kart bearing lube is very good for keeping GPU fans going just a little longer .....
I also use my industrial air compressor to blow the dust out of systems. Forget about hoovers or compressed air cans. Nothing reaches the parts other cleaning styles can't like 80 - 120 psi. Although you do have to remember to hold the fans with a finger before blasting .........
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#4 Re: Power Supplies

Post by davidbam »

I tried booting from a 256Gb USB memory stick (it works fine) but hadn't appreciated how much data was written by Boinc. Am now buying 60Gb SSDs for under £15 ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16GB-32GB-64 ... 2749.l2649
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: Power Supplies

Post by Alez »

Cheers for that. Now I have a desire to press the buy it now button ........
Although an 80GB HDD is £5 :D
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#6 Re: Power Supplies

Post by Dirk Broer »

Last PSUs I bought were from Seasonic -the last a platinum certified 450 Watt fanless one for an J5005 iTX build for the missus.

Seasonic also makes the better Corsair PSUs
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#7 Re: Power Supplies

Post by davidbam »

[mention]Dirk Broer[/mention] How dare you bring this thread back on-topic :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hal Bregg
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#8 Re: Power Supplies

Post by Hal Bregg »

davidBAM wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 am Having lost two ATX PSUs within about 10 days, I am realising the wisdom the old adage ... "To buy cheap is to buy dear"

These were (ostensibly) 750W Ace PSU but both were fried in pretty lo-spec systems

I already have a couple of Kolink modular ones and really like the fact that most of the cables can be left off. What do you all tend to use on your builds ?
It happens I have one of those as well. It works well so far.

Did it blow up in spectacular way? Or simply turned off?
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#9 Re: Power Supplies

Post by davidbam »

Actually one of the Ace came back to life so only the one failure. The one which did fail wasn't exactly a Son et Lumière show; more of a strong burny smell. Very dead though.

The other one will be handy on the bench.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”