So, has anyone taken the plunge yet?

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
Nightlord

#1 So, has anyone taken the plunge yet?

Post by Nightlord »

......and installed Windows 7 Beta I mean?

It runs Boinc!

A score of 3.4 for a old slow 3.0GHz P4HT with 768MB of 400MHz DDR Ram.

Seems much zippier than my Core 2 Vista boxes. Task bar is a bit larger than I would prefer, a few niggles about not being able to upgrade from XP to Win 7 (must be Vista to Win 7); It didn't find the on board audio (but it is a old mobo, so fair enough).

I'm still playing with some toys, but so far so good. 8)
ianmbaker2
Boinc Corporal
Boinc Corporal

Post by ianmbaker2 »

I have it installed on my notebook for evaluation. Seems pretty good so far. At first glance very like Vista, but feels much quicker. It still seems to want as much memory as Vista, but as I installed it as an upgrade to Vista, rather than as a fresh install, that may have something to do with it.

It installed OK, and I had no problems with device drivers, although my USB TV stick doesn't produce a picture. I still have to investigate that, as it finds channels OK. All the software I had on Vista still seems to run OK.

Connecting to Wireless networks is much easier than Vista or XP. It's as easy as with a wired connection.

The sidebar gadgets are no longer restricted to the sidebar, but can be placed anywhere on the display.

I have still to try it with BOIC and in multi-display mode.

Ian
Ben

Post by Ben »

I have installed it on my virtual machine using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. Runs very smoothly, and ironically it is rather good for a first BETA by microsoft... :shock:
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I have 3 or 4 VM's running it and it does seem noticably quicker than Vista.

But then they have all the crap to add in before it goes retail that I'm sure will slow it down again :lol:
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I saw a post on another forum about a supposed weakness in Win 7 to do with the UAC. Link: here

Not sure I got all the detail, but as we know, in Win 7 the UAC is set by default to notify various changes to the system. This doesn't include changes the the UAC itself and it is possible to use a VB script to change the UAC.

So, the outcome, with social engineering: the UAC can be turned off leaving the system vulnerable to system wide changes.

Microsoft can't really win (no pun intended). In Vista a lot of users found the UAC too intrusive and turned it off (leaving their systems vulnerable). In Win 7 Microsoft tried to tweak the UAC to be less obtrusive, but in so doing might still leave people vulnerable if the user is tricked into doing something they shouldn't.

I think it's been said before: The biggest security hole in a PC is the user. Without them, the computer would function much better :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”