Nuked BIOS

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#1 Nuked BIOS

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Anyone know of an easy way to recover a nuked BIOS.

My ASUS died after erasing the BIOS but before it flashed the new one.
This means the machine is dead no way to boot it for the USB or CDROM recovery.

I tried the clear CMOS jumper to no avail. My last chance is remove the battery overnight and see if it resets the BIOS on boot tomorrow.
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Don't forget to power off at the mains while the cmos batt is out. Otherwise the caps in the PSU will keep you alive (er...well, dead actually).

Also try freezer spray on the bios chip: a temporary solution, enough to boot up and perhaps flash the bios, or dump data off.

Alternatively, in the case where the mobo is destined for the skip anyway, cmos batt out, screwdriver or tweezers across the now naked battery terminals on mobo, and power on. If no blue smoke, then try power off (at mains), battery in and power on again. With luck it might tell you about a corrupt cmos, if you are out of luck and have been greeted by the unearthly presence of pernicious and all encompassing blue smoke, well it was destined for the skip anyways....
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I think you needed to have that bit of advice checked by a lawyer and way more arse-armouring disclaimers added to it. :lol: So what happened? And did you get a video for YouTube?
Willie the Megacruncher
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I am considering this for 'fun' at the weekend. Until then I replaced it with a new MB :) which had 2 PCI-E x 16 instead of one which mean't I had the urge to re-jig all the GPU's around the machines. This then mean't my 800W (but only 40A split over 2 +12V rails) PSU was not enough in the machine with the new MB so the day after I had to go buy a new PSU (880W but 72A split over 4 +12V rails). Total cost of cock-up = £100 for MB + £90 for PSU + about £40 in petrol to get them.

It does mean a small increase in output though I hope when I make 2 more Dummy VGA adapters.

I have also determined that for me the best (most stable) ATI combination is Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition SP 1 with Catalyst 9.4. I had been suffering alot of stability issues with the ATI drivers on Vista 64 and Windows 7.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”