Low-Power War: AM1 vs Bay Trail-D

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#41 Re: Low-Power War: AM1 vs Bay Trail-D

Post by Dirk Broer »

We can safely say that the days of both AM1 and Bay Trail-D are left behind us. Nowadays it is Goldmont Plus/Gemini Lake as far Intel is concerned and they have a new iron in the fire: the Pentium J5040. AMD meanwhile..... keeps awfully quiet.
What can the J5040 do? Everyting that the J5005 could, but faster. The J5040 has a base frequency of 2000MHz (J5005 1500MHz), and a turbo speed of 3200MHz on one core, and 2800MHz on all (J5005 2800MHz on one core, and 2700MHz on all). Quiet surprisingly, the number of Execution Units (EUs) of the Intel UHD Graphics 605 IGP has been lowered to 12 (J5005 had 18).

What could AMD offer to e.g. Asrock, the total and utter kings of iTX onboard boards? They can counter the Onboard Celeron offerings with their AMD Ryzen Embedded R1505G and/or R1606G (both having a 15 Watt TDP and Vega 3 graphics -the same as the desktop Athlons. Both are dual-cores with hyper-threading, so offering a total of 4 threads (something only the deluxe Celerons can), but they also have 3rd level cache and support much more instructions than the Goldmont Plus generation. Codec-wise h264 Decode/Encode; JPEG Decode/Encode; h265 8bit Decode/Encode; h265 10bit Decode/Encode; VP8 Decode/Encode; VP9 Decode/Encode; VC-1 Decode; AVC Decode, so a huge improvement to the AM1 platform -which had none of these goodies, making it a bad choice for a multi-media center.
The new Intel Pentium J5040 could face another Ryzen however: the Ryzen V1605B. This has a same base frequency as the J5040, but a turbo of 3600MHz. The TDP is 15 Watt and the graphics are Vega 8 -the same as the Ryzen 5 2200G and 3200G. It has four cores with hyper-threading and Codec-wise it is the same as the R-series, and it also has that 3rd level cache.
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#42 Re: Low-Power War: AM1 vs Bay Trail-D

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Dirk Broer wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:09 am We can safely say that the days of both AM1 and Bay Trail-D are left behind us. Nowadays it is Goldmont Plus/Gemini Lake as far Intel is concerned and they have a new iron in the fire: the Pentium J5040. AMD meanwhile..... keeps awfully quiet.
What can the J5040 do? Everyting that the J5005 could, but faster. The J5040 has a base frequency of 2000MHz (J5005 1500MHz), and a turbo speed of 3200MHz on one core, and 2800MHz on all (J5005 2800MHz on one core, and 2700MHz on all). Quiet surprisingly, the number of Execution Units (EUs) of the Intel UHD Graphics 605 IGP has been lowered to 12 (J5005 had 18).

What could AMD offer to e.g. Asrock, the total and utter kings of iTX onboard boards? They can counter the Onboard Celeron offerings with their AMD Ryzen Embedded R1505G and/or R1606G (both having a 15 Watt TDP and Vega 3 graphics -the same as the desktop Athlons. Both are dual-cores with hyper-threading, so offering a total of 4 threads (something only the deluxe Celerons can), but they also have 3rd level cache and support much more instructions than the Goldmont Plus generation. Codec-wise h264 Decode/Encode; JPEG Decode/Encode; h265 8bit Decode/Encode; h265 10bit Decode/Encode; VP8 Decode/Encode; VP9 Decode/Encode; VC-1 Decode; AVC Decode, so a huge improvement to the AM1 platform -which had none of these goodies, making it a bad choice for a multi-media center.
The new Intel Pentium J5040 could face another Ryzen however: the Ryzen V1605B. This has a same base frequency as the J5040, but a turbo of 3600MHz. The TDP is 15 Watt and the graphics are Vega 8 -the same as the Ryzen 5 2200G and 3200G. It has four cores with hyper-threading and Codec-wise it is the same as the R-series, and it also that 3rd level cache.
Also there are the new AMD Renoir 15W Parts incoming such as the RENOIR Ryzen 9 B12 15W FP6 and RENOIR NB RYZEN 9 PRO B12B 15W FP6 (still with their pre-release catchy names). Notebook chips so not from the embedded range but still a TDP of 15W.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#43 Re: Low-Power War: AM1 vs Bay Trail-D

Post by Dirk Broer »

Intel-wise there's a new king in low-powerland, with a 'fancy' name, too.
No numbers (e.g 80486DX4-133) or names (e.g. 'Pentium', 'Celeron', or 'Core'), the Intel Marketing department has completely outdone itself and has come up with the name 'Processor'.

Commercially the first offered to us is de Processor N100, let's cut the crap and compare them honestly:
CPU-Z (click to make bigger)
ImageImage
Never mind CPU-Z here on the N100, it's still new.

HWINFO64 (click to make bigger)
ImageImage

So: it runs even cheaper (6 Watt as compared to 10 Watt TDP), supports more (important) instructions, has a higher turbo speed and has a L3 cache.
I say Intel has a winner here. Codec-wise it offers also more than the J5005 and/or J5040, so replace those in your HTPC, moviebox or whatever.

ASRock offers the N100 in both iTX and MicroATX, ASUS also has a N100 board in the pipeline.
Keep your eyes out for N200 and/or (eight-core) N300 boards too though...Funny: the N305 seems to be worthy to carry the name 'Core i3'
Gigabyte GB-BNi3-N305 Brix Barebone
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#44 Re: Low-Power War: AM1 vs Bay Trail-D

Post by Dirk Broer »

Today I finally ordered a new ASRock N100DC-ITX to replace my aging ASRock J5005-ITX.

I had tested/debugged why the J5005 and other CPUs of its generation came back with unknown errors in SRBase and found out they all missed the support for an instruction (FMA3) that was in the (new) SRBase code. Though Rebirther from SRBase claimed either bad RAM or overheating as the cause for the errors, I suspect the lack of support for the FMA3 instruction was causing the overheating problems, especially when he pointed me to earlier error reports of his new application where FMA3 was clearly mentioned as requisite for the Gerbicz check -which is where the Gemini Lake CPUs went south.

The missing FMA3, together with the inability to get the Intel IGP to crunch anything other than the now defunct Collatz, made me decide to do what I advised others earlier: Change your low-power Intel Pentium onboard-boards (Braswell, Apollo Lake or Gemini Lake) to the generation of Intel N100 Processor boards.

After I ordered I fell into the famous "Cognitive Dissonance Trap": I tried to justify my acquisition by looking at the Asrock site to check if there was an AMD board that had likewise specs. For years Asrock -total and utter kings of low-power x86 iTX boards- had nothing better to offer than A4-5000 based boards, but not today of course. I found out that they just announced a new FP6TM-ITX onboard range of boards to be powered by Ryzen Mobile 4000U, 5000U or 7000U CPUs. The boards are all Socket FP6, so new that I couldn't find them at resellers yet. But keep an eye out for them, they run cheaper than the AM1 platform (TDP -for what's it worth- as low as 15 watt compared to 25 Watt for AM1, so comparable to the A4-5000), but still consume much more power than N100. As their performance and their specs offer both more you can actually better compare them with the 15 Watt TDP 8-core Intel N305 boards, where the better AMD Barcelo-R offerings have the advantage of hyperthreading -16 threads at 15 Watt TDP sure isn't bad...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”