CPU Hydro Coolers

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by scole of TSBT »

First, what are acceptable temps for the CPU to stay at? I have an I7 and I can't use more than 3-4 cores without the CPU temp going over 60C. How much better do hydro coolers work compared to the stock cooler?
Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#2 Re: CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by Silver »

As per usual there isn't a straightforward answer to your question.
If you follow the link below you can look up your processor and see what the "normal operating temperature" should be
http://ark.intel.com/m/products/family/ ... rs/desktop

However you can run above this temperature, see this link for details:
https://intel-communities.jive-mobile.c ... ns%2F32957

I've got an i5 3570k chip and from what I understand is max temp is 105°C although mine runs between 60-73°C usually.

I have looked at hydro coolers and the info that I've found - review sites and on forums - seems to say that there is not any gain over a decent air cooler. There can be gains with noise and looks etc etc course it all depends what your looking for.

Are you still using the stock cooler Scole? Might be worth your while trying a better air cooler to see how you get on.
If you're only hitting 60°C I think you've got some headroom yet but check to see what the max temp your chip is rated for.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#3 Re: CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by Alez »

Both my i7 3770k's run in the low 70's with air cooling. Both are aftermarket coolers. Any decent big air cooler is better than the stock and most are quite cheap. The stock cooler for the i7 is not up to crunching and I have constantly seen temps in the high 80's to low 90's with it, although those temps should not damage the cpu it was too hot for comfort.
Temps in the low 60's are great, get better cooling and have 6 - 7 cores running with that temp.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#4 Re: CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by scole of TSBT »

I'm using the stock air cooler. It's a i7 3770K which has the same TCase as yours of 67C. I realize air flow is the biggest factor. I already have 2 120mm fans on the front-bottom, a 200mm blowing in on the side, 1 120mm drawing air out of top-rear and 2 120mm drawing air out the top. I'd have to order a better air cooler, but I can get a Corsair H100i today at a local Best Buy. I'd rather pay a little more for a cooler than will absolutely help and get it done today rather than order, wait and hope I didn't buy the wrong thing.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#5 Re: CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by Alez »

Did you go the water cooled route or did you order an after market air cooler ?
If water cooled, how is it ? Can the radiator be mounted outside the case ?
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by scole of TSBT »

I went with a Corsair H100i, because I could buy it, install it over the weekend and be done with it. The installation was rough. I have a Corsair 500R case which has a spot at the top of the case made to install up to a 280mm radiator but the motherboard didn’t cooperate. The 8 pin CPU power plug was at the top edge of the mobo and case and made it tight for one. The DIMMs were the biggest problem. I had to cut the last 2 fins off them and get one end down to the bare chip in order for the radiator to fit. Fired it up and CPU temps , with 6 of 8 threads, ran at less than 50C drawing air in. GPUs (2x7970) didn’t cool so well with the messed up air flow though. Turned the fans around this morning, so air flow drew fresh air in at bottom-front and side out the top, and it was a PITA. The top of a DIMM pushed just enough on the fan cowling to make the blade rub. After snipping the fan cowling and adjusting (bending some metal), I have GPUs happy. CPU temp staying no more than 60C. Would have run 90+ before. Maybe some time I’ll try to figure out how to run the fans drawing air in and still maintain a good air flow.
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#7 Re: CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by Dirk Broer »

I have my new i7 3770 in a Cooler Master HAF XB and I am using the stock cooler at the moment, eight cores running BOINC, plus the IGP. Will upgrade to use the Cooler Master Hyper Z600 Image
to see whether I can use other video cards running along with better cooling....
robmacagain
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#8 Re: CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by robmacagain »

I tried one of them H100i's and the noise did my head in so i took it back.

Just a quickie, before you did all that hacking on stuff you did mount the fans outside like this in pull > Image
how to use print screen

Only asking as i did exactly the same before someone said mount the fans in the grill bit at the top and i went DOH of course :lol:, but i had already hacked the fins of my dimm :evil:.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#9 Re: CPU Hydro Coolers

Post by scole of TSBT »

I thought about mounting the fans on top, but didn't try it. :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”