Boinc Farms

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
Matelot

#1 Boinc Farms

Post by Matelot »

Is anyone running a Headless/Diskless system?
also
Is anyone running 2 mobo's (or more) from 1 PSU?
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I was going to experiment with BOINCpe over the break but didn't get a chance to in the end. Am still planning a play, it's just a case of getting some time.
Image Image
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Just had another though :idea:

Can you run more than 1 mobo+quad cpu from 1 psu ?
or is the power requirement for each mobo+quad too much?
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Think you might struggle as PSU's only have one motherboard connector unless you plan to splice a second one into the existing wiring.
I suppose in theory with a powerful enough PSU you could do it but suspect it would run very hot and probably not last very long.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I was going to experiment with BOINCpe over the break but didn't get a chance to in the end. Am still planning a play, it's just a case of getting some time.
Ok, my 'early' weekend allowed me to (finally) play with the BOINCpe distribution; and I have to say that it was very easy and painless. I didn't worry about the persistancy this time around - so no footering with network drives - merely added a couple of project xml files to the correct area and hit the 'go' button. The first attempt failed, but the second time I used my own cd burning software, instead of the included package, and it worked a dream.

If anyone else wants to try this, the package is on this webpage; and I would recommend the how to and advanced information pages. For those of you already running a farm with BOINCview this may be worth looking into as an easy way to save a few pounds on those 'dumb' machines.

MacDitch

PS. One bizarre thing is that Chess960 (of all projects!) had a greater disk space requirement than my 1Gb of RAM allowed. VTU and RieselSieve both ran well - though VTU awarded 2.48cr/h!
Image Image
Matelot

Post by Matelot »

Question on BoincPE??

Do you have to build the image on the PC you are going to use it on or is it a generic image??
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

It's a generic image. I built the CD for my laptop on this desktop.

There is also a bit of blurb (somewhere) on the BoincPE website saying that you can use the same disc (multiple images of) for many machines due to the way the persistency is coded.
Image Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”