Ubuntu

Forum to discuss and compare Hardware profiles and Benchmarking
Matelot

#1 Ubuntu

Post by Matelot »

Does Ubuntu support HT, if so, does boinc/Ubuntu see 2 processors?

also,

if I replaced a non-HT processor, with one that supports HT, would I need to reload Ubuntu to get the benefits?
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

Yes, yes, and urm maybe :D

More specifically, Ubuntu will see two processors and if you set your boinc preferences to use two processors it will use both.

Replacing the processor should be ok I think. Remember to enable HT in the bios if necessary. Just a little alarm bell ringing in my head though about the kernel. It might complain (at boot up).

In the end though since you are not burning expensive licences, it should be too much hassle if you do need to re-load. :wink:
MalX

Post by MalX »

I am running Gentoo x86, and in your situation I would have to recompile the kernel to enable HT (as well as enabling it in the bios).

As you are running Ubuntu, you will probably be running a "generic" out of the box kernel config. Which might be ready to take advantage of HT. If BOINC doesn't take advantage of HT then there is a good chance you WILL have to reload.
Open a terminal and try 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'

As nightlord says, you aint burning licences so go for it. Lots of documentation out there on how to build your own "customised" kernel.

The way to go for me.
8)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Benchmarking and Hardware”