2011 Winter Mushing Competition

Make a guess and you could win prizes!
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Trent Herbst was the first into the ghost town of Iditarod after a 12 hour overnight ride from Ophir. He's the first musher to reach the half-way point on the trail with Kelley Griffin the second into Iditarod about an hour later at 6:41 in the morning. Martin Buser, Hugh Neff and Lance Mackey shot through Ophir between midnight and two in the morning having completed their 24 hour layovers in Takotna.

Wattie pulled into McGrath in 43rd place and still has another ten hours of compulsory rest to complete before moving out.

Weather: Fair with brass monkeys (-22°C) Wind 4mph.... looks like they're heading for higher wind speeds on the Yukon River stretch between Anvik and Kaltag where the south route rejoins the north route.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

ANNOUNCEMENT REMINDER

As announced, somewhat discreetly, in a previous post you can revise your entries until the first competitor arrives at White Mountain (AKST).

To be nice and complicated this means that the timestamp on the post must be less than or exactly equal to the TIME IN + 9 hours posted for the first competitor at the WHITE MOUNTAIN checkpoint.

Note that all competitors have to layover for at leas 8 hours at White Mountain. The distance from White Mountain to Nome is 77 miles. Weather permitting this is less than 24 hours from the finish.

TIME IN postings are on the Current Standings list: http://www.iditarod.com/race/race/currentstandings.html
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I'm sure it is staring me in the face but where can I find out what the total time taken so far is for the competitors?

Or do I just have to calculate it myself & and is it the time from start to finish inclusive of all the stops or just time spent on the trail that we should be calculating? :? :?:
Willie the Megacruncher
johnn

Post by johnn »

An adjustment with consideration given to a hero mushers progress.

Winner's Time : 9d 3hr 11mins 00sec
Wattie's Place : 46th
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Megacruncher wrote:I'm sure it is staring me in the face but where can I find out what the total time taken so far is for the competitors?

Or do I just have to calculate it myself & and is it the time from start to finish inclusive of all the stops or just time spent on the trail that we should be calculating? :? :?:
From past archives looks like total times include layovers - so it's the time from leaving Willow to arriving in Nome in most cases (There maybe circumstances under which time maybe adjusted by the referees but it seems to consist of a few minutes).

I'am afraid you have to do the calculation yourself - they only give the total time at Nome....
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Schnuelle is first out of the ghost town in the early evening. Making a night ride to.... dare I say it... Shageluk. Kelley Griffin is still on her 24 hour layover in Iditarod so DeeDee Jonrowe and Jessie Royer may well leave before her.

Wattie headed out of McGrath in 46th place and is on his way to Takotna.

Snow is powdery with a light crust between Takotna and Anvik which is likely to favor the lead runners...

Weather: Fair (-7°C) Wind 16 mph
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Sebastian Schnuelle checked into Grayling on the Yukon at mid morning closely followed by Hans Gatt. DeeDee Jonrowe came into Anvik with a team of 12 having fought her way back to 10th place just over an hour ahead of Swenson.

First to the Yukon at Anvik was Hugh Neff who is now taking the first of two compulsory 8 hour layovers. This has to be on one of the Yukon River checkpoints Anvik, Grayling, Eagle Island or Kaltag.

Wattie left Ophir in 42nd place at midnight on the long haul to Iditarod.

Lance Mackey is still among the leaders with a team of 9. According to the rules you have to reach Nome with a minimum team of 6 on the towline. Apparently any number of dogs may be on the sled barking, howling and yapping encouragement at those who are doing the real work. Nothing is said about one human pulling the sled with all the dogs on it... though I am informed that this is not likely to be a winning strategy.

Weather: Fair temperature dropping (-17°C) Wind 9mph.

Current Entries:
johnn 9d 3hr 11min 00s - 46th
Megacruncher 9d 5hr 30m 17s - 37th
Aardvark 9d 8hr 45m 34s - 29th
MacDitch 9d 12hr 20min 00s - 43rd
Reeltime 9d 15hr 30min 30s - 47th
PinkPenguin 10d 2hr 40m 35s - 31st
Captinkid 11d 23hr 31m 14s - 25th
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Neff, Baker and Mackey headed out of Grayling at around tea time yesterday. DeeDee Jonrowe did the same early evening. It's 60 miles to the next checkpoint at Eagle Island so an overnight run... you get to see the northern lights and it's cooler at night... :D

Wattie came into Iditarod in mid-afternoon and is now resting up. He's in 41st place.

The field is well spread out with James Bardoner holding the red lantern in McGrath.

Weather: Fair - cold between -7°C (Iditarod) and -21°C (Yukon and McGrath), Wind 7mph to 0mph on the Yukon and at McGrath.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Exciting stuff, and a nice running commentry P.P :)

Perhaps the initial enthusiasm got to me, so with that in mind I would like to change my guess.

Aardvark 9d 8hr 45m 34s - 35th

Wattie is putting in a good effort, but I can't quite see him pulling up to 29th from 40. But who knows, it's the "Grand National" of dog races, and I suppose anything could happen.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Thanks aardvark... 8)

John Baker was first out of Eagle Island early this morning. Two and half hours ahead of the other front runners. Jessie Royer shot through the checkpoint stealing 9th place from DeeDee Jonrowe who left the checkpoint only 10 minutes behind her still in 10th place. Both women now have teams of 11 [edit] but Jessie still has her 8 hour layover to do and DeeDee has the fastest time for any competitor up the Yukon so far...[edit]

Eagle Island to Kaltag is one of the two 90 mile stretches in the trail under current weather conditions it should be fast but that is not always good...

Wattie made it to Shageluk in 40th place about an hour a go. As aardvark says he's putting in a good effort after some setbacks earlier. He still has to put in an 8 hour layover on the Yukon but so do a lot of others ahead of him.

Weather: Clear with brass monkeys and lots of them (-28°C Eagle Island / Kaltag, -12°C Anvik/Shageluk), Wind 4mph (Eagle Island) 14mph (Anvik).

Current Entries:
johnn 9d 3hr 11min 00s - 46th
johnn

Post by johnn »

Another adjustment with consideration given to a hero mushers progress.

Winner's Time : 9d 3hr 11mins 00sec
Wattie's Place : 36th
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

The top five are out of Kaltag and are now making a night run through the Nullato Hills to Unalakleet some 90 miles away. John Baker is still leading by two and a half hours which means that anything can still happen. DeeDee Jonrowe was in eighth position on arrival in Kaltag early this evening with Jessie Royer half an hour behind her. Only 4 hours separate Jonrowe from Baker as she came in just after Baker left.

Wattie left Anvik in the late evening in 39th position and should be in Grayling sometime after midnight. He has completed his 8 hour layover on the Yukon at Anvik so he should make good time to Kaltag and there are a few ahead of him who still have to break for 8 hours. This time his gain in position, however, was due to Marshall and Currier scratching in Anvik, they both arrived ahead of Wattie - the dogs decide when they've had enough.

Bardoner is carrying the red lantern 300 miles behind the leader having just left Ophir. He is one of only two teams with a full complement of 16 dogs still on the trail.... to complete the course he has to reach Grayling within 96 hours of the leader and Unalakleet within 120 hours.

Weather: Still brass monkeys in Kaltag (-21°C) slightly warmer on the coast (-11°C), Wind 0mph except aroung Anvik (14mph).

Current Entries:
johnn 9d 3hr 11min 00s - 36th
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

TECHNICAL NOTE - TIME

Anyone observing the time in Alaska may note that the time difference is now GMT -8 hours and not GMT -9 hours. Alaska observes Daylight Savings Time and the clocks have moved forward since 2 a.m. this morning. The correct calculation for the finishing time is therefore:

(Time in at Nome) - (6th march 2011 14:00:00) - (1 hour)

...they do like to make things complicated. I should note that the two hour difference between the first and last to leave Willow has been corrected for all those who have completed the 24-26 hour layover - which is now everyone still on the trail.

Update later tonight. In the meantime: John Baker is burning rubber and has already arrived in Unalakleet still more than two hours ahead of Ramey Smyth. Baker's time is 8 minutes faster to this checkpoint than Buser's record breaking run in 2002... :D
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

The top 5 are out of Unalakleet and on their way up the coast to Shaktoolik with John Baker leading Hans Gatt by 3 hours. DeeDee Jonrowe came in to Unalakleet 6 hours behind Baker and half an hour ahead of Sonny Lindner. Mackey and Buser are chasing Jessie Royer in 11th and 12th positions respectively and 60 year old Rick Swenson, the only 5 times winner, is now in 19th place still holding on to that fractured collarbone he picked up at the start of the race....

This is the coastal stretch to Shaktoolik after which they cross the sea-ice on Norton Sound to Koyuk. Wind is the big problem as it's always contrary and makes cold even colder.

Wattie left Grayling with a team of 12 about 4 minutes ahead of Justin Savidis. This puts him in 38th place. He left early morning so he should be in Eagle Island in about an hour or two.

The Red Lantern, James Bardoner, left Ophir at 11:23 yesterday and still hasn't arrived at Iditarod yet... 27 hours is a long time for this stretch.

Weather: Coolish (-9°C Unalakleet, -17°C Kaltag), Wind 0mph.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

With the wind picking up the top five left Shaktoolik with John Baker in the lead and the others closing the gap. DeeDee Jonrowe, still in 7th place, left Unalakleet at tea-time an hour ahead of Jessie Royer and two and a half hours ahead of Aliy Zirkle who is in 9th place.

Wattie pulled into Eagle Island in 39th place only a minute behind Justin Savidis.

Weather: Fair and cool (-9°C), Wind 13mph (Koyuk).

WARNING: About 24 hours before the leaders arrive at White Mountain.
captinkid

#36 Brrr.

Post by captinkid »

Maybe we should send Wattie some hand warmers! (And paw warmers for the hounds)

I noted the reference to brass monkeys, to which are you referring, the sailing term or another?

I will maintain my estimate!

:D
PinkPenguin

#37 Re: Brrr.

Post by PinkPenguin »

captinkid wrote:Maybe we should send Wattie some hand warmers! (And paw warmers for the hounds)

I noted the reference to brass monkeys, to which are you referring, the sailing term or another?

I will maintain my estimate!

According to the photos the dogs wear "booties". This maybe taken as a fashion statement in the canine world but, under the circumstances, I suspect a more practical motivation. They use the term to mean starting up the team as in "he booted his dogs..." meaning "he put booties on his dogs feet". I have been trying to fit "booties" onto an old PIV for the last week but, so far, without much success as it just beeps and sits there doing nothing at all... :?

I can confirm the probably spurious nautical use of the term which I am told had something to do with cannonballs and chilly weather... :D
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

John Baker headed out of Elim to Golovin about four and a half hours ago still in the lead so he is probably between 20 and 30 miles away from White Mountain. He has set a record breaking pace and his entry into Koyuk was, if my calculations are correct, about two and a half hours ahead of Martin Buser's performance in 2002. Given his Inupiaq origins he is already being feted as a hero by practically every village and habitation along the coast. DeeDee Jonrowe has slipped back to 8th after crossing the sea-ice on Norton Sound. She is still one and a half hours ahead of Jessie Royer and over 7 hours behind Baker.

Wattie is holding on to 39th place and still head to head with Justin Savidis. They both left Eagle Island at exactly the same time.

Fortunately James Bardoner turned up at Iditarod after a 32 hour walkabout from Ophir. He has passed the Red Lantern on to Brennan Norden who is still in Shageluk.

Weather: Cold (-10°C Koyuk), Wind 13mph.

LAST CALLS - LEADER IS WITHIN RANGE OF WHITE MOUNTAIN AND WILL PROBABLY ARRIVE BY MORNING

Current Entries:

I will not change my guess - but I can safely confirm that it is way out.... ! :D
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

John Baker came into White Mountain this afternoon at 16:03 followed by Ramey Smyth 51 minutes behind. Looks like there will be a new record this year as Baker is 3 hours ahead of Martin Buser's 2002 record at the White Mountain checkpoint. DeeDee Jonrowe is in Elim in 8th place closely followed by Jessie Royer.

Wattie McDonald and Justin Savidis came into Kaltag at the same time around midday having overtaken the Norwegian, Magnus Kaltenborn. Wattie is now in 38th place.

Weather: Cool (-6°C), Wind 8 mph.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

John Baker left White Mountain at midnight about 5 hours ago followed 50 minutes later by Ramey Smyth. From White Mountain to Nome it is 77 miles and they usually cover it in between 8:30 to 9:30 hours. So they should be in Nome early morning rounad about 8:00 or 9:00 AKDT (or tea time GMT).

Jessie Royer was in 8th place out of Elim and DeeDee Jonrowe in 10th they should shortly arrive at White Mountain.

Wattie and Justin Savidis left Kaltag at the same time for an overnight run to Unalakleet. I like to think they are more helping each other out than competing... After all it is no mean achievement just to arrive at Nome (teamwork works in a lot of ways).... :D

Weather is still good but will worsen later in the week around Thursday or Friday - hopefully they will all be in Nome by then.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

John Baker is first into Nome at 9:46 (AKDT) or just in time for a late cuppa tea.... at least from the GMT point of view... :D

Unofficially he took 8d 18h 46m 39s which, if my calculation is correct, is a new record for the Iditarod Trail.

:wav:

(complete update later tonight - official results when they come out... whenever that is!)
captinkid

#42 Fast race!

Post by captinkid »

Wow, that was a fast run, and the weather sure cooperated!

I hope Wattie makes it in before the blizzard shows up.

PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Ramey Smyth came in to Nome just over an hour after Baker's record breaking run. Hans Gatt looks like he'll come in third. Dallas Seavey and Peter Kaiser have climbed well into the top ten over the last three or four checkpoints. Jessie Royer will leave White Mountain just before midnight withe a lead of 9 minutes on DeeDee Jonrowe in 10th place.

:blob: Wattie is now 37th at Unalakleet where he arrived at midday and he now has the coastal run ahead of him. Apparently some dogs are good at this and some ain't so good. He is 2 days and 8 hours behind the leader so he should arrive at Nome somewhere between Thursday evening and Friday morning. As Captinkid says let's hope he makes it to Nome before the weather breaks...

Red Lantern, Kris Hoffman, is now almost 3 days behind Baker's arrival in Grayling. He is still in the race and needs to arrive at Unalakleet with less than a five day difference.

Weather: brass monkeys again (-19°C - Koyuk), Wind 13 mph.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Well done to John Baker & well done to johnn who looks to have won 1st prize.

All eys on Watties place now. 37th would be good enough. :)
Willie the Megacruncher
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Well maybe Wattie's got coastal dogs... He's 36th out of Unalakleet with at least an hour and a half's lead on the next competitor.

Jessie Royer just left Safety for Nome with DeeDee Jonrowe hot on her heals.

Weather: Cool (-12°C), Wind 0mph.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Wattie left Shaktoolik mid morning to cross the sea-ice on Norton Sound. He's still in 36th place behind Justin Savidis and ahead of Cain Carter. In another couple of hours he should reach Koyuk. There's a picture of Wattie removing his dog's "booties" at Unalakleet on the news feed:

[url]feed://iditarodblogs.com/news/feed/[/url] :D

Jessie Royer finished in 10th place and Aliy Zirkle beat DeeDee Jonrowe to the finish line by just under 2 minutes leaving DeeDee in 12th place. Maybe it was the pink "booties" at Rainy Pass (see photos)...

There are some good photos here:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/photos/2011/03/ ... 11-id.html

Lance Mackey, who won the last four consecutive years, came in 16th and it looks like the previous record holder, Martin Buser, will make 18th place.

Weather: Fair and cold (-14°C Koyuk), Wind 9mph.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

:blob: Wattie left Koyuk for Elim just after midnight in 36th place about half an hour ahead of Savidis and Carter. He has maintained a 12 dog team since Shageluk setting an even pace with regular rest periods. He doesn't have a strong team but it looks like he's keeping it together which is what he did in 2010. Looks like he should arrive in Nome sometime Friday afternoon/evening.

Rick Swenson, the only 5 times winner, who had a fractured collar-bone early in the race came into Nome placed 20th early evening yesterday. Michelle Phillips came in 17th with a team of 13, the largest to finish so far.

Ellen Halverson came into Unalakleet at midnight holding the red lantern. She is closing the race as she did last year.

Weather: Clear with brass monkeys again at Koyuk (-19°C), Wind 5 mph.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Well maybe Wattie's got coastal dogs...
YES!! He's fae Stonehaven (Costal town), should be well practiced running up and doon fae Aberdeen (18 miles) :D

Lets see if he can pull 35th :wink:
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

:blob: Wattie left Elim about an hour and half a go (midday AKDT) still with a team of 12. In about 6 hours he should arrive at White Mountain. He is only half an hour behind Paul Johnson so he still has chance at 35th...

Kristy Berington mushing Gebhardt's second team came into Nome at 29th four hours behind Nicolas Petit, the first of the first time mushers into Nome.

Swenson noted high winds between White Mountain and Safety which may have contributed Karin Hendrickson's decision not to continue with only an 8 dog team.

Weather: Light cloud and cold (-12°C), Wind 6-15mph. Might be some snow tomorrow according to forecasts.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

:blob: Wattie came into White Mountain early evening a couple of hours behind Johnson and Carter. He should be leaving White Mountain about 3:30 am (AKDT) or late morning GMT.

Jodi Bailey came into Nome in 31st place the only first timer to complete both the Yukon Quest and Iditarod in the same year. Apparently the Yukon Quest, held in february, was quite the opposite of sunny Iditarod 2011. Seavey, Schnuelle, Anderson and Griffin are among the experienced mushers who completed both trails this year.

Red lantern is now in Shaktoolik about 2 days from the finish.

Weather: Cold and cloudy (-15°C), Winds picking up 17 mph. Given Swenson's comment the last leg maybe a tough one for late finishers.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

:blob: Wattie left White Mountain an hour ago at 3:42 in the morning. He should make Nome in approximately 10 hours so just in time for late lunch... or, if you are running GMT, a midnight snack! :D

He's a couple of hours behind Johnson and Carter and just under two hours ahead of Savidis. Wind seams to be a major problem on this stretch as Swenson observed and Hendrickson experienced on the sea ice near Golovin When she was rescued and towed into White Mountain by Allen Moore after her team went round in circles and stalled.

Looks like this is a year for records as Jay Petervary cycled into Nome on the 16th making a new record for the same trip by bike (17d 6h)... for an out of the way part of the world seems to be a fair bit of traffic and it's not even the tourist season. :D

...update later tonight when Wattie comes in to Nome, hopefully before midnight. :)
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

:blob: Wattie left Safety just over half an hour ago on the last leg of his journey. He should arrive in Nome in between 2 and 2 and half hours' time. Wind has picked up around Nome and is now averaging 21mph.

Carter and Johnson have already arrived so 36th is his most likely place as he is still ahead of Savidis.
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

Wattie came into Nome at 2 pm in 36th place. Total time 11d 23h 1m 33s just over 4 hours better than his 2010 trail which he finished in 45th place. He kept his team together from the Yukon to Nome pacing it evenly and taking good care of the dogs after the problems he encountered in the early stages... no mean achievement. So, congratulations Wattie, on your second complete Iditarod!

CONGRATULATIONS JOHNN !
Well done to an officer and a gentleman, if my reading of the avatar is correct ("semper fidelis"). A fine guess for the time and a bullseys on Wattie's place.... Which, as Harry Seagoon might say, earns you a bag of spondooliks for the closest time and another bag of spondooliks for Wattie's place bang on the nail - naturally this will be converted into a single Amazon.com voucher at the local greenback exchange.... all the best johnn and please PM me with an e-Mail to which I can forward said voucher. :D

Current Entries:

Well, it looks like my fiendishly ingenious idea of splitting the prize over two objectives was foiled by a most devishly intelligent bit of foresight! :roll:

... the race is almost over and the wind is picking up. I gather they will have a big shindig up in Nome on Sunday so anyone who wants a shot should get his booties on and head on over. Personally I find all this armchair sport quite exhausting so I am using the dog as a foot warmer and quietly nodding off in front of the toaster... All the best to all. This is RFK (Radio Frozen Kipper) signing out!

... well, not quite, there'll be a brief sputter when the Red Lantern comes in to close the trail. Wouldn't feel right if I didn't after all the nattering I've been doing so far.
johnn

Post by johnn »

:toothy1:

Glad I signed up for this one, still haven't quite gotten over it.

:salute:

Thanks Pink...and as Tony Robbins might say... "beliefs have the power to create". Not to mislead anyone, the best I could do was corporal. :nike:
PinkPenguin

Post by PinkPenguin »

The Red Lantern came in out of the mist and snow about half an hour ago and five days after the leader. If the leader made a new record so did Ellen Halverson, the last musher into Nome, she is the only person to have closed the trail twice.... :D

This Trail has had it's adventures like DeeDee Jonrowe finding herself trapped under the sled on overflow ice and spending the next 100 miles defrosting and drying herself out...

In case any of you like stories it's worth reading and viewing Susan Butcher's interview at http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/but0int-1. She won Iditarod 4 times in the '80s and gives a good account of what it is all about. Here's an extract:

In one race, Joe Garnie and I were neck and neck -- we often are -- and traveling along in the northern arctic, up by Nome. The arctic tree line well below us. There are absolutely no trees up there. Well, I was in the lead and we got off the trail. I went up to the front of my team, and we were in a thick forest, and I had to lead my dogs through this forest. Joe came up behind me and said, "What are you doing?" and I said, "Well, I'm leading the team through these trees back to the trail." He said, "Susan, there are no trees here." And I said, "I know, but I can't make them go away." And he said, "Neither can I." We both were seeing the same trees. We could not make our minds get rid of them and make a straight line to the trail. We wove our way through these trees back to the trail.
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

Congratulations Johnn, you should have had £20 on at the bookies, bet you would have gotten good odds :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “TSBT Competitions”