Selling a workstation - need advice

Hardware for sale or to give away. Don't let it go to waste.
Forum rules
Welcome to The Scottish Boinc Team boards. See forum rules in pinned post. If you can't be bothered then try not to be too naughty as I have a delete button to press and a ban hammer to swing.
noetus
Boinc Lance Corporal
Boinc Lance Corporal

Selling a workstation - need advice

Unread post by noetus » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am

You may have seen my listing for an old 6 core i7 elsewhere on this forum. I am not sure of the best way of offloading this machine on eBay so do need some advice from people more experienced at doing this.

The machine is complete but I need the case and fans for a different machine. So I have a choice:

(1) leave it as is, and buy a new case and fans for the other machine. This way I am selling the i7 as a complete working system, and can also have a fresh install of Windows 10 Enterprise on it, which must be an advantage. But I have to shell out for the case and fans for the other machine, and I might not recoup that in the extra I would get for selling the i7 as a complete working machine versus as nearly complete or as separate parts (see below).

(2) take the case and fans and sell the machine as a motherboard + cpu + cpu cooler + power supply + memory + graphics card + SSD etc. All someone would need to do is supply their own ATX case and case fans and they would have a complete system. Potential buyer class is smaller as it assumes someone with the knowledge and expertise to do this, plus there is a slightly greater risk for me that they will mess something up, the machine does not boot, and then they come to me looking for a refund. Shipping a machine without a case is also a bit more complicated, requires more careful packing and partial disassembly (cooler off of CPU for example).

(3) take all the components out and sell them separately as working used parts.

Which is the best strategy? (1) is the easiest, but requires me to shell out for a case and fans upfront for the other machine. (3) is the most effort, as it requires making separate listings for each component, packing and shipping separately etc. But possibly I would get the most money this way, as the potential buyers across all the components is much bigger than for a single system. (2) seems the riskiest to me, in the sense of something going wrong and the buyer coming back to me.

Silver
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

Re: Selling a workstation - need advice

Unread post by Silver » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:02 pm

I can't give you any real world experience having never sold pc stuff on eBay but i pretty much agree with you.
1 - easiest and probably safest option as buyer doesn't need to do anything other than plug in.

2 - more effort and also relies on buyer being able to install components into case.

3 - most effort and also most chance of getting scammed since you'll be making multiple sales you multiple people.

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

Unread post by Alez » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:18 am

Be realistic in what you will get money wise and what you can sell. Look what other systems similar sell for on eBay and then see if the buying new case compared to selling works out. Remember that on eBay , you pay eBay fees, postage and paypal fees.

If the case is useful to you, keep it and use it. Same fans etc. What they sell for is a fraction what it will cost you to replace. Same, SSD. You wont get much for it compared to having it as a second drive for yourself. Consider is it better as a spare or worth selling ?
In other words, consider if what all you could use for the new system and selling off the parts you don't need is better than starting all from scratch. .

All I can say is I have never bought option 1 except for from companies selling refurbed rack servers and small systems to run miners for less than £50 Anything performance PC wise I build myself.

I have bought plenty of option 2, but usually they are sold as motherboard/cpu/memory bundle. Probabily best to do if you can reuse everything , or a large proportion of the existing server. Most people will not be looking for a cpu chip seperate etc. This way they have the basis of a unit to fit their own case. If they are buying this way, they should know what they are doing. The main market is people upgrading what they have by replacing the mobo, chip and mem and reusing everything else. Many of my systems have gone down this route. I still have systems running that originally started out as p4's.
GPU's sell best on their own. Small GPU's like GT610's make nothing. Better reusing yourself.

Ultimately, do whats best for yourself, time wise, money wise etc. Can you sell it better local, that way there's no quibble over it working etc. is another route to consider.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....

noetus
Boinc Lance Corporal
Boinc Lance Corporal

Unread post by noetus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks for the various bits of advice. Seems like my best option would be to sell the motherboard/cpu/memory together, and separately any other bits that I can't use. That probably just means the PSU as I need ones that can supply dual motherboard power for all future builds.

Bryan
Boinc Colonel
Boinc Colonel

Unread post by Bryan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:58 am

noetus wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 pm
Thanks for the various bits of advice. Seems like my best option would be to sell the motherboard/cpu/memory together, and separately any other bits that I can't use. That probably just means the PSU as I need ones that can supply dual motherboard power for all future builds.
There are PCIe to EPS adapters available for a few bucks on Amazon and Ebay. None of the PSUs on my 5 machines that need dual EPS have a 2nd one. I'm using adapters on all of them. A lot cheaper than purchasing new PSU.

noetus
Boinc Lance Corporal
Boinc Lance Corporal

Unread post by noetus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:11 am

I saw those things and wasn't sure if they are really trustworthy. But it seems they are...

Bryan
Boinc Colonel
Boinc Colonel

Unread post by Bryan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:05 pm

noetus wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:11 am
I saw those things and wasn't sure if they are really trustworthy. But it seems they are...
Unless you are running a big GPU or 2 then there is very little current draw from the 2nd EPS connector and the PCIe can supply more than enough even under full load. On my mb there was a sticker on the 2nd EPS saying to use for heavy loading - something to that effect. On one machine I forgot to hook up the 2nd one and for 3 days I crunched 24/7 with all threads engaged and didn't have a problem.

So yes, they work fine. The person who told me about those has multiple dual Xeon V4 machines and that is what he uses as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Kit Recycling Centre”