advice please

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#21 Re: advice please

Post by davidbam »

Seems like a useful sort of a chap to know. It has done wonders for your WCG returns too :clap: :clap:
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

#22 Re: advice please

Post by jockmacmad2 »

As to your question on AMD. Has any one looked at https://rocm.github.io/ROCmInstall.html ??

Seems like this is being used on the 'official' Docker BOINC images for AMD GPU crunching.

I am going to take a look at the whole BOINC in Docker setup, https://github.com/BOINC/boinc-client-docker, when I get home although I think all my nVidia & AMD cards are simply too old to test anything GPU wise.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#23 Re: advice please

Post by davidbam »

I think my mate was looking at that but didn't get anywhere with it. Dirk might be in the know.

I've just put a pair of RX580 into a machine and I see one of them is showing 81C - is that too hot (not rising above that). The other one is 20C cooler but I suspect the hot one is the one without much gap to feed the fans. Case is open of course ;)

When do they start missing cycles to prevent overheating?
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
jockmacmad2

#24 Re: advice please

Post by jockmacmad2 »

My AMD usually run around 78-80C with 38% fan. I use a custom fan profile on Windows so that if they go up to around 82C the fan goes up to 50% and at 85C goes to 100%. They were bought in 2010 and ran flat out for 4 years at that and are running again now. So I would say from experience that is a normal temperature for them running Collatz.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#25 Re: advice please

Post by Alez »

Off the top of my head there are certain things that cause Milkyway failures.
Firstly the GPU must be Double Precision, some older GPU's and mobile GPU's are not.
OpenCL must work.
A lot of older chipped cards can not run the nbody tasks. I remember having to run all my 69xx series cards under old drivers or they don't work. Seperation tasks should work though.
Is collatz using openCl or Cuda ?
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”