First GPUGRID casualty?

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
sneakysaurus

#1 First GPUGRID casualty?

Post by sneakysaurus »

My PNY 8800GT has lost its crunching ability after approx 2 1/2 weeks.

Started having issues about 5 days ago when it just errored every WU. Thought it was a Linux issue but tried in Windows PC and same result. Tried running 3DMark and it always crashes after a few mins. So the card looked gubbed.

Always watched temp and it sat about 68 so didn't think I had cooked it. It was a cheapo card so maybe just low quality components. Anyway got it from Overclockers.co.uk so might as well chance trying to RMA it. Though don't think I want to mention its been running flat out 24/7.
Hopefully when they test they have issues also and I get an easy return. Anyone had any experience of overclockers.co.uk for returns?

If I manage to get it swapped don't want another so might just push the boat out and get a 260GTX if the wife lets me!!
Temujin

#2 Re: First GPUGRID casualty?

Post by Temujin »

thats a bummer mate :(

I've not seen anything similar on the PS3Grid forum and Steve has said he has similar cards so lets hope it just a bad un and overclockers replace/upgrade it.
I've returned 1 set of memory to OC, it wasn't stable in my machine, they tested it and declared it fit so returned it. Its still not stable and is now sat in my parts cupboard :?

If you can stretch to a 260GTX then I can recommend the Leadtek 260GTX from OC, i have 2, both in linux (fedora9) and they complete a WU in under 8 hours :thumbup:

I hope you sort it
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I don't think the 24/7 usage should affect your warranty, not that there is any need to mention it. Over the last 5 years I've bought a lot of stuff from OCUK, at least 75% of the farm, and I don't think I've yet had to return anything, ever, so I've not tested their returns service.

Good luck I'd have thought they could replicate the problem without too much difficulty.

Go for a 260GTX they are excellent!
Willie the Megacruncher
steve

Post by steve »

I have 4 of these cards in an amd phenom 9950 quad with a MSI K9A2 Platinum board. No problems so far except for 4 kamikaze 1200 watt psu’s reduced to 3 cards and the psu has lasted 7 days so far !!!!!
Ben

Post by Ben »

steve wrote:I have 4 of these cards in an amd phenom 9950 quad with a MSI K9A2 Platinum board. No problems so far except for 4 kamikaze 1200 watt psu’s reduced to 3 cards and the psu has lasted 7 days so far !!!!!
No wonder we have an energy crysis! :D

Thought 550W was bad enough... Chucks out more hot air then the CPU does! But not bad for £26 :roll:

Another good GPU is the 9800GTX which is cheaper by about £40 and can do them in about 10 hours ish..
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... chMode=any
sneakysaurus

Post by sneakysaurus »

Card return to Overclockers, card on way back to me!

Result from OC: "When this GFX card was tested we were unable to fine any problems with the card. The graphics output appears to be normal with no visual corruption. Because no fault could be found it has been returned back to you"

I have replied back wanting to know every detail regarding there test procedure.

Knew this would happen!
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

Did you ever find out their testing procedures?

Or have they declined to comment.
Ben

Post by Ben »

jockmacmad2 wrote:Did you ever find out their testing procedures?

Or have they declined to comment.

Receive card > Grab coffee > Read paper > Browse facebook > Put card in machine and see if it goes beyond the BIOS.

All in a days work :P
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”