8600GT

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

#1 8600GT

Post by CycloneRanger »

My 8600GT will run most - but not all - w/us for GPUGrid.net, but each time I try to attach to SETI, it fails to recognize CUDA.

Now I know I'd be better off running a more potent GPU,but the 8600s are what I have - at least for now.

Anyone have any idea why I can't run SETI?
Ben

Post by Ben »

I'm not sure if SETI themselves are running work on the GPU? I know SETI Beta is, but i havn't run the main SETI project for quite a while now, so that may have changed. Also what BOINC manager version are you running? Maybe it is in-compatible?
FlyingfocRS
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 1

Post by FlyingfocRS »

Obvious thing but have you set your Seti preferences to do CUDA crunching if available?
You have to select a tick box to do it.
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by CycloneRanger »

Switch is selected

BOINC Manager ver 6.4.7

Works fine (albeit slowly) for GPUGrid
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Switch is selected

BOINC Manager ver 6.4.7

Works fine (albeit slowly) for GPUGrid
DA just changed (as in Yesterday) the CPU/GPU options on SETI/SETI Beta so I'd triple check that it's set the way you think it is.

Hmm, I really should do some SETI work at some point....
Image Image
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by CycloneRanger »

Will do, thanks!
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

Why would you want to use your GPU for Seti@home? Last time I tried it the credits were totally pants compared to GPUGrid: Something like a tenth of the reward, and not a patch on running optimised SETI on your CPU, or have they improved recently?
Willie the Megacruncher
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by CycloneRanger »

Megacruncher wrote:Why would you want to use your GPU for Seti@home? Last time I tried it the credits were totally pants compared to GPUGrid: Something like a tenth of the reward, and not a patch on running optimised SETI on your CPU, or have they improved recently?
Primarily because the 8600GT is barely adequate for handling GPUGrid, requiring constant oversight to make sure I'm not dumping time into a w/u that won't make deadline.

Yeah, the credits don't compare very favorably, but I'm going to evaluate it as an option until I can justify a better graphics card. :(
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

When GPUGrid WUs had a 48hr deadline it was a bit of a close race with my 8600. Now that you get 4 days it shouldn't be too tricky. Anyway you're right to consider all the options - does anyone know how SETI is paying these days?
Willie the Megacruncher
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by CycloneRanger »

Megacruncher wrote:does anyone know how SETI is paying these days?
I'm getting a bunch of very low credit, very small w/u. The only thing I don't like is that it steals one core to run my two GPUs - may not be worth it. I don't have enough data yet to offer any quantitative analysis.
Reeltime
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Reeltime »

CycloneRanger wrote:
Megacruncher wrote:does anyone know how SETI is paying these days?
I'm getting a bunch of very low credit, very small w/u. The only thing I don't like is that it steals one core to run my two GPUs - may not be worth it. I don't have enough data yet to offer any quantitative analysis.
Which version of Boinc are you running? I had the same problem with GPUgrid, but version 6.5.xx seems to have sorted it
CycloneRanger
Boinc Sergeant
Boinc Sergeant

Post by CycloneRanger »

Reeltime wrote:[Which version of Boinc are you running? I had the same problem with GPUgrid, but version 6.5.xx seems to have sorted it
6.4.7 I believe, though I can't see it from here. Is 6.5xx a production version?
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

Post by Megacruncher »

I've found that 6.6.15 works nicely: stable, gets enough work for everything & runs 4 cores and a GPU just like it should. It is no longer around as the latest development version is 6.6.18 but I've had no reason to try it.
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”