GPUGrid: A Problem & A Solution

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#1 GPUGrid: A Problem & A Solution

Post by Megacruncher »

Over the last 48 hrs my GPUGrid credit has faded to half of what it used to be. Basically this was because my WU s were taking much longer to crunch but still getting the same credit. I thought this might be a general issue & posted on the GPUGrid fora.

It's not general but others have had similar problems. The advice was to downgrade my Boinc Manager to 6.5.0. And it seems to have worked!

So if it's happening to you then now you know how to sort it!
Willie the Megacruncher
jockmacmad2
Boinc Warrant Officer Class 2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

I saw that on the GPUGrid forums. I went the other way and went up to 6.6.24 (given I didn't find the 6.5.0 client on their site). Now here is the scary thing.... both of us were on 6.6.15 which had not given me errors since I installed it till the last 48 hours. Now the client cannot have changed without us changing it so what did change to trigger it? Maybe a new downloaded app that reverted?

I'm sure we'll never know lol.

EDIT: Yeah go down not up on the versions lol
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

I saw that on the GPUGrid forums. I went the other way and went up to 6.6.24 (given I didn't find the 6.5.0 client on their site).....
Every version of BOINC Manager ever released can be found here. :)
Image Image
jockmacmad2

Post by jockmacmad2 »

FANTASTIC !!
aardvark
Boinc Colour Sergeant
Boinc Colour Sergeant

Post by aardvark »

I'd been running 6.6.28 with Nvidia 185.85. Then some work units started to fail. Then I had a good day with almost no failures. Next day was one success and 8 failures :twisted:
I have now moved back to drivers 182.50 as there are apparently problems with the 185.xx drivers. So will see how it goes :?
Nightlord

Post by Nightlord »

I've been out of the game for a few months, but decided to put a GPU back on just for fun.

Now I find that most WU's fail :?

Tried playing with drivers 182/185/186 etc, but it seems pretty much scooner'd.

The host is http://www.gpugrid.net/show_host_detail ... 8]this one
Vista HP 32 Bit
Dual core E6700 @ stock
2GB Ram
512MB 8800GT @ stock

The box is running CPDN solid and reliable but I don't have time to trawl through the GPU forum looking for that little nugget of info to fix it.

I can de-tune the GPU if needed, or even swap out to a different card; but since I don't have much time these days, any pointers to what is flavour of the month to achieve stability on this project would be very welcome (I recall it seemed to high maintenance last time I ran).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”