ATI Radeon video card and Intel motherboard

Using your nVidia or AMD Graphics card for BOINC computation.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#1 ATI Radeon video card and Intel motherboard

Post by scole of TSBT »

Will a ATI Radeon video card work on an Intel motherboard? If so, can the IGPU still be used?

Also, I've been comparing video card benchmarks here http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html. Do the benchmarks provided on that chart reflect how well GPUs will crunch or are there other factors unique to BOINC projects that make come cards better than others?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: ATI Radeon video card and Intel motherboard

Post by Alez »

Yes , absolutely no problem crunching ATI cards on any mobo. For the benchmarks what card are you thinking about ?
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: ATI Radeon video card and Intel motherboard

Post by scole of TSBT »

I currently have a GeForce GTX 460 that has a Passmark G3D benchmark of 2666 and BOINC reports 907 gflops peak. Is there anything I can do to improve that performance? A GeForce GTX 760 benchmarks at 4998. A Radeon HD 7770 has a benchmark of 2157. Does BOINC report 3K gflops for that card in the log? What type of throughput or gflops should expect from the other cards? Or if you were willing to invest $200 in a video card for crunching what would you get and how to set it up? I'm really just trying to figure out the best bang for the buck for crunching and a better GPU is the easiest option. I don't want to manage a droid farm.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#4 Re: ATI Radeon video card and Intel motherboard

Post by Alez »

No, there is not much you can do with the cards. They are what they are. It is possible to overclock, overvolt etc, but most of the gains are fairly modest and you generate more heat. Try afterburner and have a wee play about. So long as you don't over volt the cards the worst that will happen is that it will blue screen as you push it too far.
I would pay very little attention to 3d passmarks etc. they mean nothing in boinc. Basically you generally get what you pay for. More stream processors / cuda cores = more gigaflops. Simples !

Generally speaking nVidia cards are more flexible as they will run cuda and openCL. ATI cards will not do cuda apps, but with the exception on nVidia Titans, generally have far better double precession performance.
At the moment for primegrid / gpugrid / asteroids etc run nvidia
for einstein / milkyway that need double precession run ATI
I have found no difference on Collatz.

I have bought a few ATI 7750 / 7770's on ebay recently as they give good value for money. If you have 2 pcie slots free a pair of 7770 gigahertz editions will give markedly better performance. nVidia GTX 650ti are probabily up there too.

Setting up is easy whether it be 1 or 2 cards. I posted a guide up on the forum, but any issues / questions just ask. Someone will help you out.

my cards for comparison

ati 7970 9728 gflops 1/4 dp
ati r9 270 6080 gflops but only 1/16 dp performance
ati 7770 gigahertz version 3200 gflops
ati 7770 2720 gflops
ati 6770 2720 gflops ( not double precision )
nVidia GTX660ti 2634 gflops
ati 7750 2176 gflops
nVidia gtx650 812 gflops
nVidia gt430 403 gflops
nVidia gt610 156 gflops
HD4000 iGPU 45 gflops
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)”