Hello Folks

Greetings to new and old cruncher's all users and guests can see this forum.
DieselWeasel

#1 Hello Folks

Post by DieselWeasel »

Just wanted to say hello to everyone since I have just joined. I happend across boinc in one of Linus Tech Tips videos and I got very interested once I realised there was a Scottish team there was no doubt about signing up (Since I live in West Lothian). Just a little query too, does anyone know on average how big a work load is from Rosetta? Im currently working on one just now and wanted to see what download times would be for my terrible internet :lol: . Thanks all.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#2 Re: Hello Folks

Post by scole of TSBT »

Welcome DieselWeasel. First, are you aware you can set the target runtime of Rosetta WUs in the Rosetta@home preferences here...https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/pref ... et=project

The initial download does take a long time. The Boinc Client must download programs and a couple database files which have a total size 500-600MB. After that each WU is maybe 100-200KB? Difficult to tell because it stores them in a zip file.
Megacruncher
G.L.S.B.
G.L.S.B.

#3 Re: Hello Folks

Post by Megacruncher »

Hi DieselWeasel,

Welcome aboard! Rosetta is one of the greedier projects when it comes to interweb bandwidth, but even in the wilds of West Lothian it can't be so bad as to stop you taking part!
I'm in SW Edinburgh, Morningside, please don't judge me!: Where exactly are you?

Cheers,
Willie the Megacruncher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Welcome”