Climate Prediction - Version2

Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#1 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by Alez »

Cheers Pete, I'm on the team now.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#2 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by Alez »

Welcome to Climate@Home Version 2
Climate@Home is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research for climate change prediction. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.
The initiative, called Climate@Home, is unprecedented in scope. Never before has NASA attempted to recruit so many people to help perform research vital to forecasting the Earth's climate in the 21st century under a wide range of different situations.

https://www.nasa.gov/offices/ocio/ittal ... imate.html
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/modelE/

How to join Climate@Home Version 2?
Climate@Home uses BOINC, VirtualBox and Docker to support climate simulation. To join Climate@Home Version 2, you need to have:

1) x86_64 machine
2) Your BOINC client should be 7.6.33 and up
3) You have to install VirtualBox
4)If you are using Windows, your VirtualBox version should be 5.1.18; If you are using Linux or Mac, the VirtualBox version should be 5.0 and up

To join Climate@Home Version 2, please add this link:
https://climateathome.info/climateathome

What is the minimum requirement?
Each task needs one CPU core and 1024M memory. In addition, it needs 10 G Disk. To start the project, you will download a compressed vm_image.vdi, a docker image, related vboxwrapper and other small dependencies. The total size is about 1.1 G. However, the download only happens one time when you start to join the project.
For each task, you will upload results file. The project create results based on months count in task, i.e., the months count could be get form the work unit file (e.g., 6months_wu.xml). Each month takes about 30 to 4o minutes. So for a 6months task, it takes about 3-4 hours. The size of each month's result is about 8.1 to 8.2 M.

How long does it take to finish a task and how much credit can I get for per task?
It depends on the task you are running. If the work unit is a 6 months simulation (6months_wu.xml), it needs one CPU core and 1024M memory and the estimate time to finish it is 3-4 hours. Your will get 180 credit for your:

1) computing contribution
2) network contribution
3) disk storage contribution

What is the speed to download the files and upload files
Don't worry about the network transfer speed. Climate@Home Version 2 has replicated files in following locations and it will select best endpoint to download and upload:

climateinfovirginia.s3.amazonaws.com
climateinfoohio.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com
climateinfocalifornia.s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com
climateinfooregon.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
climateinfocentral.s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com
climateinfomumbai.s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com
climateinfoseoul.s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com
climateinfosingapore.s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com
climateinfosydney.s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com
climateinfotokyo.s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com
climateinfofrankfurt.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com
climateinfoireland.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com
climateinfolondon.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com
climateinfosaopaulo.s3-sa-east-1.amazonaws.com
climateinfobeijing.oss-cn-beijing.aliyuncs.com

Get started and help scientists to improve the climate change predictions.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#3 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by scole of TSBT »

This project has badges and I'm on it! Work is a little scarce though.

And beware! Each active WU can use over 7GB of disk space! Might use more. Just got a few started.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#4 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by Bryan »

The WU (longer ones) last almost exactly 3 days and pay 4000 credits. I had a machine that had 20 WU running and I noticed that it was telling me my HDD was full and couldn't download anymore WU. I couldn't even get a new WuProp to download because it needed 95 MB more space that I had available. I checked the HDD (on Linux) and it was showing me I had >600G available. I assumed that it something wrong with the WU or VBox.

Tonight I moved 2 machines over to Windows and both have 1TB drives. At 25 WU one machine started giving me the HDD full message and the other one started at 22. I checked the BOINC Preferences and it was set at use 95%. I changed it to 96% and looked at the message and it said BOINC could use 860G of the HDD. Only 60G was being used.

I found the answer ... the first box in the preferences is "Gigabytes disk Space" and the default is 0 which is supposed to mean no limit. I changed that to 1000 and then BOINC message said use the same 860G as before. The difference is it actually allowed me to get more WU!

This is similar to the one on the # CPUs to use. I've left that at the default "0" before and had it limit the number of threads. Setting it 100% works every time.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#5 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by Bryan »

@Pete, it's actually 55 credits/hour. 72 hours at 4000 credits. You get a badge for 10k credits so 3 WU will get you there.

From what I've been told you can NOT suspend it or stop/restart it otherwise it will fail.
scole of TSBT
Boinc Major General
Boinc Major General

#6 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by scole of TSBT »

According to my math, binary 1+1=10. So you have 5 apples plus an apple for 5 friends!
Dirk Broer
Corsair
Corsair

#7 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by Dirk Broer »

Bryan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:03 pmFrom what I've been told you can NOT suspend it or stop/restart it otherwise it will fail.
I just found out :cry:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#8 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by Alez »

So now I find out that 1 + 1 is not close to 3 ??? Guess you guys have never had to work with effective rates of dispersal rather than actual rates of dispersal as per the litrature !!! Jeez, where's the faith, hope and glory in this thread ?
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#9 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by Bryan »

It's even worse than that! So you've now got 10 apples, 5 for yourself but where do get the 5 friends?
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#10 Re: Climate Prediction - Version2

Post by Alez »

I'm retiring this as dead.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Retired Projects”