No more Ramsey Credit

MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

#1 No more Ramsey Credit

Post by MacDitch »

Ramsey@home has announced that it will no longer grant credit.
Lastly and most drastically, I've decided to convert this project into a non-credit granting project. Yes, I know that 99% of the volunteers just left :). I'm doing this for two reasons; I don't have the time or the coding skill to deal with the myriad of difficulties the credit system introduces, and I believe that boinc should be about making scientific discoveries and that the credit system gets in the way of this for a lot of boincers.
Click here to see the full tale of woe...
Image Image
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

I don't have the time or the coding skill to deal with the myriad of difficulties the credit system introduces]
Boy, I sure don't understand that statement from the admin. Ramsey was a fixed credit of 25 per w/u. What's so hard in managing that?
Buster is my dog. Sadly, Buster is gone.
Buster is the Malamute, Obi is the Golden.

Obi is the dog of the house now.
MacDitch
Moderator General
Moderator General

Post by MacDitch »

Boy, I sure don't understand that statement from the admin. Ramsey was a fixed credit of 25 per w/u. What's so hard in managing that?
In and of itself, nothing. But then the work units changed length, so he had to change the credit. Shouldn't have been a problem except everything got awarded the new credit level - no matter when it was issued. To top this off, I believe the times were starting to vary quite widely, which sort of kills the fixed credit approach.

It was nice when I was getting ~20k per day for a lowly PentiumD rather than 1.2k it usually gets! :shock: 8) :shock: My cache filled at exactly the right time for once - only wish I'd got more! :roll: :lol:
Image Image
Buster Gunn
Boinc Second Lieutenant
Boinc Second Lieutenant

Post by Buster Gunn »

Well that explains it then. I stopped crunching Ramsey just before I attacked Spinhenge. Got out too soon. Oh well.
Buster is my dog. Sadly, Buster is gone.
Buster is the Malamute, Obi is the Golden.

Obi is the dog of the house now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Retired Projects”