troublesome

Forum rules
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#21 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

Right! Sounds like a rainy-day project to get that optimised. Many thanks for the link
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#22 Re: troublesome

Post by Bryan »

davidBAM wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 pm Right! Sounds like a rainy-day project to get that optimised. Many thanks for the link
You're more than welcome ... good luck with it :-)

We've got to keep in mind that you are tilling new soil. Some of this stuff is 2nd nature to us old farts and we don't necessarily think to pass on the knowledge as early as we should. Our bad!
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#23 Re: troublesome

Post by Alez »

For my 2 x 980's I'm running this and twice as fast as standard

["app_config.xml"]

<app_config>
<app>
<name>collatz_sieve</name>
<max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>1.0</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>0.5</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>

use notepad to make this file and save as other. For a single card change <max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent> to <max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>

For config

verbose=0
kernels_per_reduction=48
threads=8
lut_size=17
sleep=0
cache_sieve=1
reduce_cpu=0
sieve_size=30

This file is collatz_sieve_1.30_windows_x86_64_opencl_nvidia_gpu.config andwill be empty. Linux will obviously be slightly different name and you will be looking for the AMD version but in var/lib/boinc/projects/boinc.thesonntags.com_collatz

For different cards look HERE and pick closest.

edit using gedit. In terminal use gksudo gedit and then navigate to file. If you dont have gedit then first off sudo apt-get gedit wlll do the trick. Gdit is standard in ubuntu but not my prefered Lubunu.
The best form of help from above is a sniper on the rooftop....
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#24 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

Thanks, trying this now - on rx580
I think this is fool-proof but could you just try it for me please? • There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don’t
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#25 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

Yup - big difference on the rx580 / ubuntu, thanks. Run-times cut by a third, in fairness points awarded cut slightly too tho. Provided they have enough WU to run 24/7, I should earn about 3.3M per day per card. I'm a happy bunny.

Still waiting for the first WU to arrive for the nVidia GPU. I do have it enabled in preferences so not quite sure why.

ETA: This is why (from event log)... Thu 01 Nov 2018 11:41:08 GMT | collatz | Not requesting tasks: don't need (CPU: job cache full; NVIDIA GPU: job cache full). Be patient David
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#26 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

Three days later and Collatz hasn't sent me any work for the nVidia.

Event log says "collatz | Not requesting tasks: don't need (CPU: job cache full; NVIDIA GPU: job cache full)". Thing is, I am getting GPU work from other projects which have a lower resource share though.
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#27 Re: troublesome

Post by Alez »

The problem you are facing is the points given by Collatz. BOINC bases which projects you get units based on resource share you set but mainly RAC. Because Collatz pays so well, it will take ages for other projects to catch up and so Collatz will get no work. I basically only set one GPU project I want to get units for, at the moment Collatz. If I want to run Primegrid then I set Collatz to no new work and set Primegrid to receive new work. After all these years the BOINC manager is still dumb as a box of rocks in reality because it creator tried to have all projects give the same credit. As they don't the logic just doesn't work.
The best option is to set a GPU project you wish to crunch and add a second GPU project as a backup ( if you wish ) with a share of 0. That way it will only get work if your chosen project has no work. Alternatively, if you check your systems regularly as I do, then simply set one project at a time. I do the same for CPU's. I may run different projects at the same time, but I do it on different systems so I have control of what I crunch.
Alternatively you can do it with resource share but you end up setting ridiculous share percentages like 10,000 for Collatz to get any work. Micro-managment works best.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#28 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

Alez wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 am you end up setting ridiculous share percentages like 10,000 for Collatz to get any work
SPOOKY - that is exactly the value I have set :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#29 Re: troublesome

Post by Alez »

davidBAM wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:15 am
Alez wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 am you end up setting ridiculous share percentages like 10,000 for Collatz to get any work
SPOOKY - that is exactly the value I have set :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not my first rodeo :lol: I've seen many different versions of the manager since I started doing this and they all suffer from the same issues due to dogma.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#30 Re: troublesome

Post by Bryan »

I rarely run my GPUs but when I do, I setup a 2nd instance of BOINC. One runs the CPUs and the other for the GPUs. That way the BOINC scheduler doesn't have to actually try to think ... it isn't very good at that :lol:
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#31 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

[mention]Bryan[/mention] That sounds interesting. Would you happen to have a link please for how to do this under Linux?

How does boincmgr figure out which to connect to when both are on localhost?
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#32 Re: troublesome

Post by Bryan »

They run separate and independent. On one you enable your CPU project and on the other you enable GPU. If you attach to the same project, ie PG, then the project will see it as two different computers with both having the same name.

The method for setting up multiple BOINC clients is on TSBT somewhere ... I have trouble finding stuff like that. Maybe Alez can find it :D

EDIT: I found the one for Windows ... if someone can't find one for LInux then I'll write one up.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#33 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

Bryan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 pm My GTX 1080Ti does a little over 3M/day on PG and 10M/day on Collatz. The highest paying project on PG is PPS Sieve.
I finally got some Collatz work for nVidia by having a machine dedicated to running GPU (no CPU work). Using a GTX960 at the moment but I'll build a machine capable of taking both this and the GTX1080

My question is therefore, with 2 non-identical cards will I see two collatz_sieve_1.40_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__opencl_nvidia.config files to allow me to optimise them independently ?? Maybe I should wait and see what happens and only optimise them after both are running together
Alez
[ TSBT's Pirate ]
[ TSBT's Pirate ]

#34 Re: troublesome

Post by Alez »

Nope, only 1 collatz_sieve_1.40_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__opencl_nvidia.config.
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#35 Re: troublesome

Post by Bryan »

I hear it is difficult to get multiple GPUs that aren't identical to run in Linux. I can't speak from experience on this.

If you can get it working where BOINC recognizes both cards then you can setup 2 BOINC instances with a instance controlling only a single card. Then you can have 2 config files available.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#36 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

I should probably learn to crawl before I start trying to run. Either that or sell/buy hardware to reduce variety :D
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#37 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

Next question is whether the speed of CPU materially affects the performance of the GPU?

Background : I couldn't get nVidia card working in a Xeon / x79 motherboard (more questions on that later), so I moved it into an old HP machine (Pentium G3250 processor). This works but I am underwhelmed by the first results - it would maybe manage 220,000 credits per day on Collatz. Is it maybe related to the number of PCI lanes supported by CPU ??

Out of interest, an ageing ATI/AMD r7-350 in the HP machine manages about 340,000 per day on Collatz
Bryan
Boinc Brigadier
Boinc Brigadier

#38 Re: troublesome

Post by Bryan »

Yes, the speed of the CPU can affect the results a GPU gets. As you mentioned the PCI lanes etc but it is more the processing speed.

Most GPU projects also use the CPU. The CPU gets things ready and then passes it to the GPU to crunch. When the GPU finishes crunching that batch it contacts the CPU to get the next batch. This happens over and over until the WU is totally finished.

I have 2 GTX 1080Tis in different machines. One is in a I7-3930K running at 4.2G w/ PCIe 2.0. The 2nd is in a E5-2683 V4 server running at 2.7G w/ PCIe 3.X. The GPU in the I7 machine always outperforms the other GPU even though it has PCIe 2 vs PCIe 3.

Also remember that on most GPU projects you need to reserve some CPU threads otherwise the GPU winds up waiting to be serviced by the CPU.
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#39 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

Alez wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:43 am This file is collatz_sieve_1.30_windows_x86_64_opencl_nvidia_gpu.config andwill be empty. Linux will obviously be slightly different name
Is anyone crunching Collatz on nVidia under Linux please? I am beginning to think that Collatz doesn't use CUDA & that Linux drivers don't support OpenCL on nVidia.

I'd be DELIGHTED to be proved wrong though
davidbam
General Bitchin'
General Bitchin'

#40 Re: troublesome

Post by davidbam »

scratch that - I have that running myself on one machine.

Config file is called : collatz_sieve_1.40_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__opencl_nvidia.config proving that opencl is used

It is only doing about 225K credits per day on Collatz though (unoptimised and fitted in a fairly old machine)

ETA : I can't remember which boinc client I loaded as I see there is a boinc-client-nvidia-cuda. Back to the drawing board :lol: :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “PrimeGrid”